This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nightshades?

cougie23

cougie23 Explorer

I know eggplant is a night shade...but can anyone explain about nightshades to me?

effects,any info would be apresiated! I know alot of celiacs tend to be sentitive to these (and soy, nuts,corn,frucose ect.) so I'm sure a thread on the subject for all us newbies would be much apresiated!

I thought eggplant was ok...I only had an ocasional reaction to American (the giant purple beast) eggplant if it was under cooked (usreally grilled)...I didn't seem to have any problem with the smaller more delecate japanese eggplant I've been eating it regularly in my diet for the last year/ 8 months? But the recently I had stuffed American eggplant and was sick ( vomiting ,diarea,intestinal hives,bloating,throat itchy slightly swollen,sore, severe neck pain and severe migrain type head ache!!!)

Needless to say I said NEVER again to american eggplant...but 2 weeks after the effects wore off I had just a little japanese eggplant thrown in with some mushrooms and chicken in the form of tacos (gluten free corn tortillas of course)...and WHOA BABY!!!! I was Soooooooo sick!!!! Neck imeadeatly knotted up severely ,migraine for days..vomiting ,instant bloating.....Internal hives....I've NEVER had that kind of reaction to the smaller type eggplant (its the really long one). Apearently ALL eggplant are out now!! :blink::(

So can anybody give me any insight on this..I've heard mention here and there but thought maybe it could be helpful to put it out there in one spot! allittle easier than looking all over this site for scraps of info like I was doing...Thanks Guys!!! :D:D

also is it possible to get hemorroids from a food reaction? any one ever experiance or heard of this?

Suddenly I've this wicked hemorriod out of nowhere!!

I know the constant diarhea/constapation that seems to be a universal side effect of Celiacs can cause this...but anyone have this type of reaction due to food allergies? I do get internal hives...maybe a byproduct? anyone else ever have this happen to you? :blink::o:rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Tomatoes, peppers, potatoes. Don't eat 'em. Actually eggplant is probably an issue also, but I don't eat it so I don't know for sure if I would react. I think one problem is alkaloids in nightshades that some people don't handle well. I think the alkaloids are bad for everybody but most people can stand a certain amount. That's why they say not to eat the green eyes of potatoes because they are high in alkaloids (poison).

mushroom Proficient

Nightshade plants are known for their inflammatory properties, and it is advised that people with inflammatory dieseases such as arthritis do not eat them. This was the original reason I started laying off them. Then I found that potatoes were toxic to me (I had already figured out and did not like peppers), but once I discovered that tomatoes also did a number on me I did not bother to test eggplant. By the way, these had always been my favourite foods, and having eliminated them and the problems they caused, I think they have also upset my bodily hormonal balance and the lack of them has caused other problelms. But not enough to make me consider reintroducing them to my diet. Yet...:ph34r:

Familytradition Rookie

I am starting to suspect an intolerance to nightshades as well. :( I haven't had any in nearly a week and tonight I boiled some red potatoes and ate it like soup. Within a short time I was bloated up so big I looked 6 months pregnant. Now I have gas, frequent urination and I am wondering if I will be able to rest tonight. :/

cougie23 Explorer

Thanks Guys... I appreciate the feed back...didn't know about the akoloids, that makes sense! does anyone know if squashes fall in the nightshade catogory? :unsure:

Oh... and to answer my own question...I did some googling and yes,,,hemerhoids CAN be caused by food reactions!(just in case anyone ELSE wanted to know) :blink::rolleyes::)

PeachBlossoms Rookie

Good substitutes for nightshades: Instead of french fries, try baked sweet potato with sea salt, black pepper and ground rosemary. :)

Squash is a wonderful substitute for nightshades (giving soups a thick broth).

Also, seasoned rutabaga makes a nice potato patty substitute. :)

Skylark Collaborator

Squash are not nightshades. Nighshade vegetables are tomato, potato, eggplant, sweet peppers of all types, hot peppers of all types, paprika, tomato relatives like tomatillos and tamarillos, and pimentos (the red things in olives).

The nightshade family is known for its alkaloids, natural drugs. There are a lot of inedible and very dangerous nightshade plants like henbane, black nightshade, datura, and the deadly belladonna plant. Tobacco is also a nightshade. Nightshade drugs include nicotine, atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscamine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cougie23 Explorer

Great info...but isn't sweet potato a potatoe??? if its exluded thats great because I adore sweet potatoes (in my stirfrys..as french fries..potatoe chips from trader joes...soup...

mashed..you name it)!!! what about yams! :P

Oh and skylark...check the tech thread...I wrote you a great messege about the Avitars...hope it helps! :rolleyes::D:D I like what you have though..

but I can understand wanting to trade up now and then. :lol:

psawyer Proficient

Sweet potatoes are botanically rather different from potatoes. They belong to the Convolvulaceae family. Nightshades are the Solanaceae family, which includes regular potatoes.

Yams are not the same as sweet potatoes, although they are often confused. Yams belong to yet another family: Dioscoreaceae.

cougie23 Explorer

Sweet potatoes are botanically rather different from potatoes. They belong to the Convolvulaceae family. Nightshades are the Solanaceae family, which includes regular potatoes.

Yams are not the same as sweet potatoes, although they are often confused. Yams belong to yet another family: Dioscoreaceae.

Thankyou peter....ARRRRRRGGGGG!!! it's Sooooo complicated!!! :blink::blink:

Nice to know though!(were did you learn this stuff...thats rather advanced googling there!!!LOL) :D You are definatly a knowlagable fellow and quite an asset to this site...thankyou and keep up the good work!!! :D:D:D

What about red and blue? are they potatoes..or something else? Sorry...we eat alot of potatoes.....especialy sweet,red..and the little purple ones! :blink::D

• 7 years later...
Anne K Newbie

Having started the Paleo Approach, J had cut out nightshades. However in a restaurant, the mixed veg contained aubergine and tomato which I ate. Result was five visits to the loo to per that night. I'd always thought it was my kidneys before, now I know it is nightshades

• 1 month later...
Cheryl Marie Newbie

It could be you have a salycitic acid intolerance...I get gastritis from foods high in salycitic acid...look it up, I am gluten and dairy free 5 years...night shades are very high in salycitic acid, ...really check it out, I have to be very careful, as my whole gi tract is affected by this. A lot of folk are unaware of this, and doctors do not even get this yet...its due to the pesticides making the veggies and fruits make more of their own protectant, which is salycitic acid. If you have any a aspirin sensitivity...watch out....hope this helps someone!♥️