This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Robin

cap6

cap6 Enthusiast

Red Robin will soon be serving Udi buns in all restaurants across the country. Yea!!! Servers & cooks will all be required to go through a training on cross-contamination. Great news

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sira Raven Newbie

Red Robin will soon be serving Udi buns in all restaurants across the country. Yea!!! Servers & cooks will all be required to go through a training on cross-contamination. Great news

That's wonderful!!! I hope they make it to the east coast soon!!

kareng Grand Master

Where did you see that? How did I miss that? Could you post a link so we could all see the joyful news?

Monael Apprentice

That is exciting news!! I can't wait to go there and try one.

BeFree Contributor

WOW!!!! I love Udi's and I love Red Robin's--this is awesome!!!!! Thanks for the fantastic news! :)

Darwin Rookie

Had one on Saturday!!! Thought it tasted like Udi's. It was so exciting to go to a restaurant and eat a hamburger on a BUN!! Now if they could only cook their french fries in gluten-free oil, I'd be in heaven!!

BeFree Contributor

"Now if they could only cook their french fries in gluten-free oil, I'd be in heaven!!"

I would expect them to start (hopefully), if they're going to the lengths to train all their servers and cooks on cross-contamination! Hopefully this is a sign that they're taking it seriously! :)

Red Robin has been one of my very favorite restaurants for a long time and if it could continue to be, wow that would be amazing.

Everyone...if you try the burger at RR & have a good experience, please post!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Monael Apprentice

Awww no french fries? :( Well it's a start. I can't wait to go now.

babinsky Apprentice

I eat their fries without any problem...they do not put the seasoning on them but they do have dedicated friers..The manager told me yesterday that they would be getting gluten-free buns and "special" pans to heat them.

cap6 Enthusiast

Where did you see that? How did I miss that? Could you post a link so we could all see the joyful news?

sorry to not respond. haven't been on the computer! We frequent our local Red Robin and were given the info by the manager and the kitchen manager. She gave us a copy of the email she had received from Udi's outlining the training they will all go through, the special tins, separate storage, knowledge of cross contamination, the works! Udi's is working to get their buns in all Red Robin locations. Check with your local managers and see if they are on board with Udi's.

Our restaurant does serve gluten-free fries as they use dedicated friers. When we travel and go to a new Red Robin I do check just to be sure but haven't found one yet that does not use separate friers but that is on the west coast. Also, a manager in a Red Robin in Bend, Oregon told me that their season salt is now gluten-free but I haven't verified that. I don't like it so it wasn't an issue for me.

kareng Grand Master

sorry to not respond. haven't been on the computer! We frequent our local Red Robin and were given the info by the manager and the kitchen manager. She gave us a copy of the email she had received from Udi's outlining the training they will all go through, the special tins, separate storage, knowledge of cross contamination, the works! Udi's is working to get their buns in all Red Robin locations. Check with your local managers and see if they are on board with Udi's.

Our restaurant does serve gluten-free fries as they use dedicated friers. When we travel and go to a new Red Robin I do check just to be sure but haven't found one yet that does not use separate friers but that is on the west coast. Also, a manager in a Red Robin in Bend, Oregon told me that their season salt is now gluten-free but I haven't verified that. I don't like it so it wasn't an issue for me.

Thanks! I'll give them a few weeks, then stop by when they aren't busy & check!

Funny...I have always preferred my burger with no bun. But the additional training is good to know.

DerpTyler Newbie

YES! real burgers again! now we just need more restaurants to follow in their footsteps!

• 1 month later...
upacreek Newbie

Just had the gluten-free bun at the Seattle Red Robin located on Pier 55. It tasted incredible and the staff did a great job offering it and explaining how RR is starting to offer the gluten-free bun at more and more RR locations. (We had no idea this was available!) They were even willing to take the time to show the ingredient list and made sure to explain the precautions they took to not contaminate it when they served the burger.

Having recently learned about Udi's bread and how wonderful it is, I'm not surprised to learn on this forum that the Red Robin buns are made by Udi.

I don't post often on this list, but felt the need to share the good news about the Seattle Red Robin. I hope the other locations & States start offering it too!

silk Contributor

This is great news! I went to the RR here a couple of years ago and actually left without ordering. The waiter and manager were not terribly accommodating and it appeared that I could maybe eat a grilled burger, a piece of lettuce and tomato and drink the iced tea. Decided to go across the street to Chilis where they did have options. Can some of you please tell me what you like to order at RR?

upacreek Newbie

This is great news! I went to the RR here a couple of years ago and actually left without ordering. The waiter and manager were not terribly accommodating and it appeared that I could maybe eat a grilled burger, a piece of lettuce and tomato and drink the iced tea. Decided to go across the street to Chilis where they did have options. Can some of you please tell me what you like to order at RR?

We have found that not all Red Robins are the same. After living South of Seattle and having pleasant experiences at all the RR's in the South end, it was very surprising to discover how bad some of the RR's were North of Seattle after we moved. (Especially the Burlington, WA Red Robin. We have tried them several times now over the past few years and will no longer dine there .... too many negatives to list!)

I am also allergic to beef, dairy, mushrooms & pineapple, so that eliminates many options on the RR menu. I have really enjoyed the California Chicken Burger (minus the cheese & bun in the past) and will continue to order it now that they have the gluten-free bun. The only "problem" I had was the burger was so thick that even after squishing it, I had to take 2 bites to make it all the way through it - biting into the top half first and after eating that, biting into the lower half.

silk Contributor

So I looked up the RR website last night to see what their gluten-free offerings were. As I said before, when you take away all of the 'can't haves' and disclaimers you seem to be left with a plain cooked burger wrapped in lettuce, a bowl of lettuce with tomato and tea or water or soft drinks. I was particularly amused at the offering for a 'crunchy chicken breast salad(?)'. You can have the lettuce but you can't have the crunchy chicken because it's breaded with glutenous products. Guess what, folks? If you can't have the crunchy chicken, then you can't call it a crunchy chicken salad! It's still just a bowl of lettuce and tomato. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's not a horse! Sorry to rant. Just had such high hopes for RR and really did not see any options that were nearly as good as anywhere else I have eaten with a gluten-free menu.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I've eaten at a local RR once. I had the Avo-cobb-o salad without tomato(allergic) and without blue cheese( I don't like it) Of course no bread. I had it with honey mustard dressing. They had a gluten-free allergen menu plus a book of what other gluten-free people have ordered filled out. I did not get sick, but my tummy grumbled some. Perhaps some soy in dressing(wasn't totally soy free yet). The resturant wasn't busy, but the manager did not bring it out as others mention here. I questioned the server over and over again! I think with all chain resturants, there are some good and bad. Depends on management etc.

Juliebove Rising Star

We've tried Burlington, Bothell and Woodinville. They can't get your order right no matter what. We don't like them.

Poppi Enthusiast

I've had great experiences at Red Robin.

Last time I went I had a burger with cheese, avocado, tomato and I think bacon on a lettuce bun and fries from a dedicated frier. The closest RR is almost 2 hours away but I'll make the trip if the Canadian locations get Udi's buns.

Judy3 Contributor

I went to Red Robin here in my town the other night and after a strange conversation with the waitress and a few sips of water we left without eating. They didn't have the buns although the corporate office assured me they did. The gluten free menu I was handed was nothing more than a typed piece of paper stating so many disclaimers and relieving them of liability that I decided that it was not worth the risk. The waitress didn't have a clue either.. I think it depends on the store, the one in Green Bay WI is not the place to try!! I did however go to a new restaurant that has a gluten free menu and dedicated friers etc and had a burger and fries and it was delightful!! The owner's family has people with Celiac so they are very aware of what they need to do!! I'll be a frequent flier there I think, much more comfortable!!

• 2 weeks later...
msmini14 Enthusiast

I agree with others on here because it all has to do with the store and management. I didnt eat there for a couple of years until I actually went in and spoke with the manager to ask if they use a dedicated fryer. What is the point having a hamburger or chicken sandwich if you cant have fries? lol. Anyways, I have enjoyed great service (Concord, CA) and they have the gluten-free buns. It is funny because I went there a few weeks ago and they didnt have them yet but now they do.

In regards to the crunchy chicken salad you can get regular grilled chicken. They dont make the change on the gluten-free menu for some reason but it clearly states that you can replace it.

I enjoy the gluten-free menu at RR, because they have decent options for us. BUT like all places you will always take the chance of CC anytime you go out unless the place is strictly gluten-free.

BeFree Contributor

LOL @ Silk...I haven't had good experiences eating out so far. The only place I've tried to eat is Boston Market. I tell them, "No cornbread on my plate, I'm allergic", when I place my order, and the order taker says, "No problem!" And then my plate comes out with cornbread on it. In order to get them to leave the cornbread off my plate, I literally have to stand and watch them make my plate, and yell, "No cornbread please!" when they get to the cornbread step.

They really like to put the cornbread on the plate.

I sure hope Red Robin steps its up from what I've experienced so far.

silk Contributor

In regards to the crunchy chicken salad you can get regular grilled chicken. They dont make the change on the gluten-free menu for some reason but it clearly states that you can replace it.

/quote]

:D Unless they burn the chicken to a crisp, it is still not a 'crunchy chicken salad'. I know, I know, semantics...it just bothered me that everything on the menu seemed to come with a disclaimer attached about what you could NOT have with the order. :rolleyes: I am really happy that you had such a good experience with them. Maybe I will stop in and talk to the manager at ours and check it out.

silk Contributor

So after all of the complaining I did about RR, I have to confess.....I called the local RR today and they said they do have the dedicated fryer and Udi's buns. I took my daughter to lunch there and it was fabulous! The only bloat I got was from being completely full of an amazing hamburger. Pretty spendy so that won't happen often but it is nice to have options!

BeFree Contributor

"So after all of the complaining I did about RR, I have to confess.....I called the local RR today and they said they do have the dedicated fryer and Udi's buns. I took my daughter to lunch there and it was fabulous! The only bloat I got was from being completely full of an amazing hamburger. Pretty spendy so that won't happen often but it is nice to have options!"

So you were able to have the fries AND the hamburger? SWEET. I can't wait till that works out here where I live.

Archived