• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Non Celiac And Breast Feeding

2 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I do not have celiac disease, but my husband does. I read that it is important for me to eat gluten throughout the pregnancy to pass along my immunity to the baby, however I was unsure about what I should do once breastfeeding. I know not to introduce solid forms of gluten until 4-6 months, but should I follow a gluten free diet while breastfeeding? I haven't been able to find any research on this. It says mothers who have celiac disease should follow the diet, but nothing of mothers without celiac disease. Thanks!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I actually was able to answer my own question. I found a link that says "If neither the baby nor the mother has confirmed celiac disease, the mother should continue to eat gluten, even if there is a history of celiac disease in the family, because there is a chance that exposure to gluten in breast milk will actually help the baby to develop a normal immune response to gluten."

It was in the article Gluten-Free Baby? Facts About Celiac Disease, Breastfeeding, and Gluten.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CeliacMamma

• Topics

• Hi , no I have not, my dr said there was no point to test because we already know I have celiac. Is this something I should be doing ?
    • No I think for a positive test you need to be eating gluten for a certain period of time otherwise the test can produce erronous results.   1 If you have been on a gluten free diet the test can produce a false negative 2 After a period of time of being gluten free your gut can heal itself (in many cases...although this might take time) and so any test taken (blood test or biopsy) will potentially produce a false negative. 3 It is possibe to test whether or not you have the genes for celiac. If you have a family history, your symptoms are alleviated by removing gluten and you have the right genes for celiac, to my mind its very likely even if you dont test postive officially (science can get it wrong sometimes for various reasons).
    • Hi All, I just got back from my first visit to Montreal in a couple years, and had to report back. STUFF IS HAPPENING THERE!

One word: Croissant.
      CROISSAAAAANT!  Yes, the flaky exterior fluffy interior pull it apart in sheets melt in your mouth OMG I didn't think I'd ever eat anything like this again how is this even possible kind of croissant. I think I might have had a religious experience while eating it. In any case, if you happen to be in La Belle Province, in one of my favourite cities as it is, run, don't walk (or better yet, hop on the metro to Jean Talon) to La Boulangerie Marquise Sans Gluten. The most beautiful gluten-free bakery I have even been in. Aside from the aforementioned croissant, they have beautiful cakes and pastries, pizza, quiche, tarts, fresh bread, bagels, etc etc... Only downside is that their products do contain soy (I cheated. It was worth it) and some contain dairy (again, worth it), so if you have serious problems with that, please stay away (cause if you step in there you WILL be tempted. For reals).

Aside from that, other places to go:
      - Creperie du Marche - at Jean Talon market. They only do buckwheat crepes, and they are pretty good.
      - Arepera du Plateau - not only the best arepas (cornbread sandwiches) I've ever had, but known as one of the best spots in the city. Get there early.
      - Mais - my favourite spot for tacos. Most everything on the menu is usually gluten-free, but be sure to ask.
      - Cookie Stephanie - another nice bakery in Old Montreal
      - Luv - lovely new mostly gluten-free vegetarian spot.
      (not listed as gluten-free but still amazing and very accomodating):
      - Le Vin Papillon - hands down one of the most amazing meals ever. They asked me what my restructions were before I even said, and put together 3 amazing plates. Of course, the wine is amazing too.
      - Lawrence or Larry's - have eaten at both and both very accomodating and lovely.
      Generally, I find  knowledge of gluten-free (sans gluten) at most reputable Montreal restaurants is pretty high, so don't restrict yourself. Just call and ask beforehand.

And of course, don't forget to drink some GLUTENBERG! 100% gluten-free and pretty dang good beer. Pick from their blonde, IPA, red ale, very nice belgian white, and if you can find them, their special releases like Myrcene de Glace. (I may  have returned with a suitcase full of beers)

Closed since I was last there (RIP)
      - Mi & Stu - I used to get bagels at this bakery up Rue Park, but they have since closed their Montreal location and moved to a commercial space. Bummer.

Have you been to or live in Montreal? Leave your suggestions here!
    • The original poster hasn't been on for many months.
    • It was five years ago when I launched the concept of "gluten is bad for us all!"
      Yes, you read that right - bad for you, bad for me, and bad for everyone else! This implies that the whole world should avoid gluten. This is a bold and an unrealistic statement to make. However, I thought that there was enough evidence about the harm of gluten for us to demand massive changes to everyone's diet, our farming practices and food manufacturing industry. Eventually, this could substantially improve the health of our Nations. However the practicalities of such a change would be very difficult overcome. Especially with the economic forces of Big-Pharma, Big-Agriculture and Big-Government. View the full article
  • Upcoming Events