This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are You Cooking For Thanksgiving?

freeatlast

samie Contributor

samie, for your green bean casserole, just use the old standby with Pacific gluten-free cream of mushroom soup. For the onion topping try flash frying match stick leeks. They get really crispy and have a mild onion flavor,

Thanks i will try it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Juliebove Rising Star

I just found out a couple of days ago that we are not going to my parent's house for Thanksgiving. That means I'm making it here.

Husband only likes the turkey legs. And he likes a lot of them so he can eat them day after day. Must find out how long he will be here for so I know how much to buy. He's in the military and only home for a week or so right now. I will roast the legs in the oven. I had tried making them in the crockpot prior. Although he liked the end result, he didn't want to have to wait for them. I may actually roast them the day before so they will be ready whenever he wants them.

I also plan to make some leftovers so they will be there for lunch. We'll eat our dinner later in the day. I will do some little chicken franks in BBQ sauce he day before.

I have some kind of old gluten-free cornbread mix that needs to be made up. Will make it into mini muffins. No stuffing. The last few times I made it, it didn't get eaten.

Daughter and I will have Carving Board turkey. I also bought some of their ham when I was afraid I couldn't find the turkey legs. But I have since located them.

I have some canned cranberry sauce that I got for free with a coupon.

Mashed potatoes from Coscto.

Boxed gluten-free gravy.

Canned green beans.

Maybe some black olives.

For dessert we have a Buffalo Milk cheesecake from Costco. No crust on it and no eggs! It doesn't say gluten-free but I see no gluten ingredients. Also some cheese fudge, also from Costco. Might buy a small pie for husband. Like a little tart or something. Or might not since he is supposedly on a diet.

freeatlast Collaborator

Thinking ahead to Christmas, does anyone have a favorite bread stick or roll recipe they are willing to share?

Happy Thanksgiving all. Enjoy your meal.

Cathey

Have not tried this. I have printed out quite a few recipes for rolls lately, but for some reason, this is the only one saved in my electronic files:

Surf Spot Gluten Free Sandwich Rolls

- 2 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend

- 1/4 cup buttermilk powder or coconut flour

- 1 teaspoon salt

- 3 Tablespoons honey

- 1 Tablespoon xanthan gum or guar gum, or a combo

- 1 Tablespoon yeast

- 1 1/4 cup club soda or seltzer

- 1 teaspoon cider or rice vinegar

- 1/4 cup olive oil

- 1 whole egg

- 3 egg whites (reserve yolks)

Mix ingredients with a strong wooden spoon until they form a ball of goopy dough. This dough is wet enough that some would call it a batter. Dump dough onto a well floured countertop. Sprinkle top with flour and flatten to about two inches thick. Separate dough into 8-12 equal pieces. Gently roll into a ball and flatten into about a 1 inch thick disc.

Spray or moisten dough to prevent cracking during the rise time.

Cover and allow to rise for about an hour. The dough will have doubled in size. Do not over proof or your rolls will be flat an dense.

Glaze the dough by brushing with the beaten extra yolks and bake at 325 for 20-30 minutes. Test by tapping or with a thermometer as demonstrated in the video.

Open Original Shared Link

For those of you who do not have any familiarity with gluten, it is developed when high-protein flour is mixed with water and agitated or kneaded. This action stretches the proteins and develops the elasticity which renders bread so satisfying. Creating the crispy crust and the airy goodness of the crumb, gluten is driving the bread train.

The good news is that there are other high-protein flours and natural ingredients which will mimic some of the most desirable attributes of gluten in it's total absence. It is also crucial to consider how to optimize the yeast's ability to leaven. The proteins in gluten are what make up the matrix which holds all that air in good bread.

Some gluten free bread recipes read like the tax code, too long and nearly incomprehensible. I suggest finding a gluten-free flour blend like the one offered by Bob's Red Mill, as this will save you some measuring. Blending helps control the flavor and protein density, using just one flour can make for a dull or off tasting bread and unpleasant textures.

As scary as xanthan gum and guar gum sound, they are natural and provide the crucial elasticity required to hold the exhalations of the yeast. Less than a teaspoon per cup of gluten free flour will give you impressive results and you can use them alone or in combo to tune in the exact texture you desire.

My latest gluten free and vegan trick is to use coconut flour in place of dry milk or buttermilk in recipes. I have found it to posses just the right fat content and a flavor profile which mimics the sweetness of dairy. For a vegan version of this recipe, use an egg substitute as they work really well in this application. Eggs are another secret to gluten free breads, try to add at least some whites to any recipe you attempt. It will affect the lightness and moisture of the bread in a pleasant way.

freeatlast Collaborator

I've made these. They're easy and taste good. I made as drop biscuits:

radiantrapunzel1 Rookie

I plan on making turkey, yams, green beens ( if i can make gluten-free green bean cassorle but got to find a recipe for that), try to make a good stuffing thats gluten- free. Also trying to find some good pie love pumpkin pie and maybe gluten-free dinner rolls. This will be the first thanksgiving gluten-free for me and my daughter.

Samie- I use the Campbell's Green Bean Casserole recipe, but here's what I do so it's gluten-free:

I use La Choy soy sauce or Tamari sauce, I either make my own condensed mushroom soup or I use the can of Progresso's mushroom soup and drain my green beans and nix any extra water. As far as the French's Fried Onions, I use (get ready for it....).....FUNIONS. They work perfect. My DH and my in-laws say they like it BETTER with the Funions and they're really the only ones I fix the GBC for; I just make it gluten-free b/c I don't make ANYTHING that's NOT. LOL. Hope this helps ya!

samie Contributor

Samie- I use the Campbell's Green Bean Casserole recipe, but here's what I do so it's gluten-free:

I use La Choy soy sauce or Tamari sauce, I either make my own condensed mushroom soup or I use the can of Progresso's mushroom soup and drain my green beans and nix any extra water. As far as the French's Fried Onions, I use (get ready for it....).....FUNIONS. They work perfect. My DH and my in-laws say they like it BETTER with the Funions and they're really the only ones I fix the GBC for; I just make it gluten-free b/c I don't make ANYTHING that's NOT. LOL. Hope this helps ya!

i didn't know progesso had mushroom soup gluten-free

CarolinaKip Community Regular

This is how I made it last year(progresso and funyons, however, I'm now soy free. I'm not sure if I want to make my own soup or just fresh greenbeans. I'm looking forward to the stuffing. I'm making it with bread this year. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! What's the best way to toast the bread for stuffing? I am used to cornbread dressing, so I need a little help with the bread stuffing. Thanks! I know the recipe I'm going to use, but haven't decided how to handle the gluten-free bread best.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samie Contributor

This is how I made it last year(progresso and funyons, however, I'm now soy free. I'm not sure if I want to make my own soup or just fresh greenbeans. I'm looking forward to the stuffing. I'm making it with bread this year. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! What's the best way to toast the bread for stuffing? I am used to cornbread dressing, so I need a little help with the bread stuffing. Thanks! I know the recipe I'm going to use, but haven't decided how to handle the gluten-free bread best.

I have been told to toast it lightly but i havent ever done it. This will be the first time.

Takala Enthusiast

Cut the bread up in cubes, and place it on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake or broil it until dry and toasted. Bake at 350

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, today I am roasting a chicken so I have drippings on Thanksgiving to make gravy with...

I'm also making cranberry chutney today (for the second time...). There's enough liquor in there to keep it for 3 months!

Went shopping at FIVE grocery stores to buy stuff for Thanksgiving. Local store is out of the usual brands of stuff and y'all know what that means... Search til you find it because I don't want to get glutened. Aaack!

Lisa Mentor

Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing Recipe, anyone?

Should I let the cornbread get stale? It's in the freezer awaiting direction. ;)

Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing Recipe, anyone?

Should I let the cornbread get stale? It's in the freezer awaiting direction. ;)

I don't have a cornbread and sausage stuffing recipe but do have a cornbread dressing with giblets recipe. Want it?

I'd leave the cornbread out for a day on the counter. That's what we've always done...

Lisa Mentor

I don't have a cornbread and sausage stuffing recipe but do have a cornbread dressing with giblets recipe. Want it?

I'd leave the cornbread out for a day on the counter. That's what we've always done...

Yes, please. Patti won't let me put the giblets in the gravy. :P

lucia Enthusiast

Everyone's dishes sounds wonderful! (Can I come over for cranberry chutney?)

I'm going out, and surprisingly it's easier to find an affordable pre frixe meal that is gluten-free than it is to find one that is vegetarian on Thanksgiving! I love Thanksgiving dinner. I'd like to cook, but none of my other friends do. I'm going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade for the first time ever before dinner!

sharps45 Apprentice

For turkey gravy, I'd go with cornstarch. For other, thicker gravy I always use sweet rice four, because it's not as gritty as other rice flours. I've never heard of using tapioca flour for gravy. But give it a try with some of the drippings and find out!

You are very welcome Bartfull! I was happy to stumble across that recipe too!! I think I am also going to make some pumpkin fudge... A friend made this and said it was unbelivable!

I was going to try to make cornbread stuffing using the Bob's Red Mill mix (I always previously used stove top). Does anyone have any suggestions about how far in advance to prepare it and let it "air out" to become stale?

Also, what type of thickener is best for gravy? I have cornstarch and tapioca flour on hand, is one better than the other? Thanks so much!!

misslexi Apprentice

We canadians have slightly different thanksgiving traditions, and we already had ours but we will be having a similar repeat at christmas.

turkey, gravy, mashed potatos, lots of veggies, gluten-free sausage stuffing, other stuffing that isn't gluten-free, other family might have yorkshire puddings (we haven't attempted to recreate that one yet) and either cheesecake with a ginger snap crust (i dont recommend eating one of those plain though...I was curious, it was a bad experience :P) or maybe another apple crisp (yay oatmeal in small amounts!)

For stuffing we normally use regular gluten-free bread. I saved up the bits and pieces and froze them as I made bread. This year my mom made it ahead of time with bread crumbs. Honestly, it wasn't that great...chunks of bread make a much nicer texture. Big thing if you're new to it, is don't forget extra liquid. I belive we have always used primarily rice based breads. They always seem to need more moisture.

We usually use cornstarch for thickening gravy. This past thanksgiving, another family member did the turkey and bought one there was no way i could touch. So my mom got me a turkey breast and a package of gluten-free gravy she found...its just not the same :( lol. I wouldn't reccomend trying tapioca starch for gravy though...maybe its just me but it has the odd sweet taste/aftertaste. I've had a few pizza crusts made with it and it just tastes odd. I imagine it would do the same to gravy. It does taste good in small amounts in christmas cookies though!

We bought gluten-free ginger snaps from the grocery store and used to make a real crust, like you would with graham crackers...until my mom found a clever idea. Muffin cups! Just put a cookie in the bottom, fill with your cheesecake mix, and bake. Makes cute little individual sized cheesecakes.

OH and can't forget all the delicious gluten free christmas cookies, and snacks before dinner <3 yum...is it christmas yet?!

Yes, please. Patti won't let me put the giblets in the gravy. :P

Sorry, here it is...

5 cups corn bread (I leave it out on the counter for a day)

6 slices toasted bread (white gluten-free, whole grain, French (I'd use one with less whole seeds/grains in it))

2 cups finely chopped celery

1 1/2 cups green onion with tops, chopped fine

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely minced parsley

1/4 cup butter

4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cayenne

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp celery seed

1 tsp sage

giblets/livers (a whole package of giblets, maybe half a pint of livers)

Simmer giblets in a quart of water til tender. Add liver and cook a few minutes til done. Reserve liquid. Cut all meat finely (ensure no tough giblet parts are put in the dressing). Saut

Marilyn R Community Regular

Sorry, here it is...

5 cups corn bread (I leave it out on the counter for a day)

6 slices toasted bread (white gluten-free, whole grain, French (I'd use one with less whole seeds/grains in it))

2 cups finely chopped celery

1 1/2 cups green onion with tops, chopped fine

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely minced parsley

1/4 cup butter

4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cayenne

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp celery seed

1 tsp sage

giblets/livers (a whole package of giblets, maybe half a pint of livers)

Simmer giblets in a quart of water til tender. Add liver and cook a few minutes til done. Reserve liquid. Cut all meat finely (ensure no tough giblet parts are put in the dressing). Saut

Junior Chef Rookie

Traditional Thanksgiving here, only everything's going to be gluten free, dairy free, and egg free. I actually have recipes lined up for everything, and most of them are tried and true. Tomorrow I'll be in the kitchen all day. :P

Turkey

Dressing

Dinner Rolls

Green beans w/bacon

Sweet Potato Casserole

Orange Tapioca Salad

Cranberry Salad

Pumpkin Pie

Pecan Pie Bars

freeatlast Collaborator

Traditional Thanksgiving here, only everything's going to be gluten free, dairy free, and egg free. I actually have recipes lined up for everything, and most of them are tried and true. Tomorrow I'll be in the kitchen all day. :P

Turkey

Dressing

Dinner Rolls

Green beans w/bacon

Sweet Potato Casserole

Orange Tapioca Salad

Cranberry Salad

Pumpkin Pie

Pecan Pie Bars

Finally bought some yeast and decided to bake with it, but haven't found a recipe yet for yeast rolls. Do you have a good one?

I made the meringue crust and filling tonight. I think it's going to be fabulous! (I'm waiting to fill the pie until tomorrow.) I substitued Grand Marnier for the vanilla and used Enjoy Life Chocolate chips. Whipped cream has been an issue for me before, but I'm giving it a whirl...

Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm the only one gluten-free tomorrow, it will be fun to blow some socks off with a great dessert! :D

AMom2010 Explorer

I made it tonight too Marilyn! I went ahead and filled it and covered it so it wouldn't have a film on top. I think there are lots of other options for this crust, I think next time I am going to try a strawberry filling, can't wait!!

GottaSki Mentor

Thanksgiving brings a special day to reflect on how grateful I am that I found the eleven foods that had destroyed my body and played havoc with my children's health.

Dinner with twelve or more family members will include: Juicy Turkey with tasty GlutenFree gravy, homemade cranberry sauce (already a Gluten-Free item), Gluten-Free Cornbread Stuffing, gluten-free/CornFree Wild Rice/Cranberry Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes (side of Mashed Sweet Potatoes for those with nightshade intolerance), Peas (small side of asparagus for me as legumes are a good sleeping pill) and Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cheesecake (we do alot of gluten-free baking and my family asked for the pumpkin cheesecake over pumpkin pie this year)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I made it tonight too Marilyn! I went ahead and filled it and covered it so it wouldn't have a film on top. I think there are lots of other options for this crust, I think next time I am going to try a strawberry filling, can't wait!!

I didn't get sick from the whipped cream, so I'm a happy camper! I think kiwi and strawberry Pavlova will be pretty at Christmas...

I was thinking lemon something for my next pie. My niece just lost 70 lbs. and was thrilled with the idea of a meringue pie shell.

If you can do egg yolks, I saw a recipe for Key Lime pie in a meringue shell. That would be fabulous! (I score sort of high on egg yolk allergy, so I use them in moderation or feel funky the next day.) Thanks again for sharing the recipe, It's going to be a regular for me.

mushroom Proficient

I think kiwi and strawberry Pavlova will be pretty at Christmas...

I was thinking lemon something for my next pie.

Now you're talking Down Under Christmas dessert. I use fresh raspberries which generally come in a week or two before Christmas :D

Archived