This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Spices

TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

Hi, I am wondering.....are Simply Organics spices gluten-free, I bought their Cumin, and have used it a couple of times, not sure if this is what has been making me not feel too good??????

Miriam :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hi, I am wondering.....are Simply Organics spices gluten-free, I bought their Cumin, and have used it a couple of times, not sure if this is what has been making me not feel too good??????

Miriam :blink:

Can you give us the labeling ingredient listing? It appears to have a single ingredient.

Open Original Shared Link

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

Can you give us the labeling ingredient listing? It appears to have a single ingredient.

Open Original Shared Link

Hi Lisa, you are correct it just lists the organic cumin in the ingredients. I was just wondering if there could be cross contamination involved, but I'll check the link you provided.

Thanks,

Miriam

Heather Anne Newbie

My dietician, who is a Celiac patient (as well as her daughter), said that some people react to most spices because of cc'd. She told me that the only ones they used in their house for a long time was McCormick, but even her daughter reacts to a couple of their 'pure' ground spices. She has had no trouble with Spice Island. That is the one that I'm switching to, just to be safe! I've been getting cc'd somewhere and this is one of the things that are going from my cupboard!

Good luck!

sa1937 Community Regular

My dietician, who is a Celiac patient (as well as her daughter), said that some people react to most spices because of cc'd. She told me that the only ones they used in their house for a long time was McCormick, but even her daughter reacts to a couple of their 'pure' ground spices. She has had no trouble with Spice Island. That is the one that I'm switching to, just to be safe! I've been getting cc'd somewhere and this is one of the things that are going from my cupboard!

Good luck!

Heather Anne, people can react to just about anything and everything!!! It does not necessarily have anything to do with McCormick's, Spice Islands, Swanson's or Progresso. And just because your dietician said it, doesn't necessarily make it true. I've used McCormick's herbs and spices forever and have not reacted to them.

Specifically what McCormick's spices do you react to?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I noticed an improvement when I started buying whole spices and grinding them myself. I got green spices fresh and washed and dried. Now I grow a lot of my own, and I feel better still. I am one of those super sensitive celiacs who reacts to all sorts of things. The advice here is that celiacs can eat store bought spices without problems.

mushroom Proficient

I noticed an improvement when I started buying whole spices and grinding them myself. I got green spices fresh and washed and dried. Now I grow a lot of my own, and I feel better still. I am one of those super sensitive celiacs who reacts to all sorts of things. The advice here is that celiacs can eat store bought spices without problems.

Well, I would modify that a little to say that most people have no problems with single ingredient store-bought spices. If you are super sensitive, you may have problems. The seasonings that are the most problematic are the blends and I always avoid those.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

The advice here is that celiacs can eat store bought spices without problems.

Most.

Most people with gluten intolerance can use store bought spices with no problem. If you choose to limit your options based on someone else's experience, that is your choice. I, however, would be inclined to try them myself before making such a decision.

However, fresh ground spices are more tasty, so if you do a lot of cooking with spices you may want to try that just for the flavor. :)

love2travel Mentor

However, fresh ground spices are more tasty, so if you do a lot of cooking with spices you may want to try that just for the flavor. :)

SO true! I haven't bought spice blends for years - no need as I always buy whole spices, toast them to bring out more flavour and grind them in my spice grinder or mortar and pestle to make my own blends. My favourites are Penzey's - they have cool spices such as mahlab, nigella seeds, black lime, sumac, etc. I adore that I cannot find elsewhere. Excellent prices, too.

kareng Grand Master

SO true! I haven't bought spice blends for years - no need as I always buy whole spices, toast them to bring out more flavour and grind them in my spice grinder or mortar and pestle to make my own blends. My favourites are Penzey's - they have cool spices such as mahlab, nigella seeds, black lime, sumac, etc. I adore that I cannot find elsewhere. Excellent prices, too.

You like sumac? I love that stuff! I get it from a Halal grocery. The lady said they put it in soup for upset tummies when she was a kid. If you get it already ground, watch for the ones with salt added.

love2travel Mentor

You like sumac? I love that stuff! I get it from a Halal grocery. The lady said they put it in soup for upset tummies when she was a kid. If you get it already ground, watch for the ones with salt added.

Love it - I get the whole sumac berries. Awesome stuff!

• 2 months later...
gleegan Rookie

I guess I was not as careful as I usually am and should have been. I was having trouble finding mustard seeds anywhere, so I finally gave in and got some in the International Cuisine area of Wegmans. I thought that I'd be safer since mustard seeds are not ground up and are whole, but I should have at least rinsed them first. I'm pretty sure that is why I felt pretty bad this morning. What is so annoying is that I'm very short on cash and made this curry dish to last for a couple of days; now I have to decide whether to throw it all out (which of course I should do) or try a bit of it and see if that's truly the cause. It doesn't happen to me too much anymore, but the idea of wasting money and hard work cooking over something so ridiculous as 10 mustard seeds, that should NOT have gluten anyway, drives me nuts!!!

kareng Grand Master

I guess I was not as careful as I usually am and should have been. I was having trouble finding mustard seeds anywhere, so I finally gave in and got some in the International Cuisine area of Wegmans. I thought that I'd be safer since mustard seeds are not ground up and are whole, but I should have at least rinsed them first. I'm pretty sure that is why I felt pretty bad this morning. What is so annoying is that I'm very short on cash and made this curry dish to last for a couple of days; now I have to decide whether to throw it all out (which of course I should do) or try a bit of it and see if that's truly the cause. It doesn't happen to me too much anymore, but the idea of wasting money and hard work cooking over something so ridiculous as 10 mustard seeds, that should NOT have gluten anyway, drives me nuts!!!

There wouldn't be gluten in whole mustard seeds. Maybe some other ingredient is the problem? Maybe mustard is the problem?

gleegan Rookie

There wouldn't be gluten in whole mustard seeds. Maybe some other ingredient is the problem? Maybe mustard is the problem?

Thanks for your comment. It wouldn't be the mustard because I've never had a problem with that. It COULD be a gluten-free roll that I ate (I sometimes react to yeast)...I didn't think that the gluten would be in the seeds, but i thought that it might be a cc issue and they could have had contact with gluten and been dusted with it - I'm THAT sensitive...

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for your comment. It wouldn't be the mustard because I've never had a problem with that. It COULD be a gluten-free roll that I ate (I sometimes react to yeast)...I didn't think that the gluten would be in the seeds, but i thought that it might be a cc issue and they could have had contact with gluten and been dusted with it - I'm THAT sensitive...

I can't imagine why a company would " dust" mustard seeds with wheat? Wheat flour gets sticky when damp so it couldn't be to keep them dry? Maybe to poison the 1% of the population that had Celiac? ( sorry bad joke. I have a relative that likes consiracy theories and he thinks the govt puts gluten in his food to keep him under control)

Anyway, sometimes it's not gluten that bothers us.

gleegan Rookie

Maybe you didn't mean to be as condescending as you sounded, Kareng, but I will say that I have hesitated to post on this forum because I've gotten comments that I found weren't trying to be sincerely helpful. What do I know - I'm not a food scientist; I only know that I don't feel well and I don't feel like throwing my food (and money) in the trash? I'm simply wondering about the dusting and I'm not extending any conspiracy theories. I was simply looking for some support and other people's feedback, not sarcasm.

kareng Grand Master

Maybe you didn't mean to be as condescending as you sounded, Kareng, but I will say that I have hesitated to post on this forum because I've gotten comments that I found weren't trying to be sincerely helpful. What do I know - I'm not a food scientist; I only know that I don't feel well and I don't feel like throwing my food (and money) in the trash? I'm simply wondering about the dusting and I'm not extending any conspiracy theories. I was simply looking for some support and other people's feedback, not sarcasm.

I'm sorry! I was just trying to joke about the conspiracy. My relative really thinks that. Which is ridiculous. I need to stop trying to be funny.

I just see no reason they would dust something with flour unless they wanted it to stick together.

Jestgar Rising Star

You could always call the company and ask if they process anything with gluten in the same plant.

Darn210 Enthusiast

We don't have Wegman's here . . . were these spices in a serve yourself kind of bin? Those always scare me off.

How bad do you react? If it isn't too bad, I would probably let your system settle and try it again but without the yeast roll since you do sometimes have problems with yeast. If you are having a horrendous reaction, I would take it to some neighbors or friends and let them have it and at least get some good will out of your efforts and maybe some kind of favor down the road (mind getting my mail for me while I'm gone?)

Archived