This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cyclical Celiac

Chad Sines

Chad Sines Rising Star

I was posting about how mine seemed to start. There are some times in the past when I had bad spells and then appeared to be back to normal for a year or more in between. Withing the last 10 years I can count maybe 3ish that I can recall. I was relatively normal in between until this last one that hit hardest last year. That is when I figured things out. Has anyone heard about anything like that before? It seems like it was building up over time but I never went gluten-free until this year. Of course as a self diagnosed person you ponder if you got it wrong, but I have been greatly improved since going gluten free. I do not doubt the diagnosis, but question if there was more to it or how it started like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Simply put, celiac can wax and wane throughout a person's lifetime. Even though mine was triggered when I was 11, I went through periods of feeling quite well followed by periods of poor health. Since it's an autoimmune disease, celiac can vary over time.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Simply put, celiac can wax and wane throughout a person's lifetime. Even though mine was triggered when I was 11, I went through periods of feeling quite well followed by periods of poor health. Since it's an autoimmune disease, celiac can vary over time.

This was my experience also until the symptoms became a steadily increasing torture when I was in my thirties. I was triggered at around 4 or 5 years when I developed severe DH but I had C since as long as my Mom could remember.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My symptoms got better and worse too, from when I was very small until diagnosis.

Booghead Contributor

I would go through periods of 10 months to a year feeling fine. But this last year they have come much closer and with less breaks in between. Like having the stomach flu 5 times a year. Along with C for as long as I can remember.

lovegrov Collaborator

I think this is pretty standard for various autoimmune conditions.

richard

Chad Sines Rising Star

I am glad to hear this. I expected everyone to say they were hit hard from the start with no let up and that it may not be celiac that i am having issues with. Right now my main issues are determining what I am intolerant of right now, soy and milk so far. boo. celiac sux.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

That's what it seemed like for my daughter. She had a really bad case of stomach flu (her trigger?) and had acid reflux with regurgitation issues afterwards. She went on a prescription strength antacid. It cleared up. It came back. Back on meds. It cleared up. It came back but quicker . . . repeated until it no longer cleared up.

Likewise, when she was healing, she was doing well, then she would have a few days of regurgitation, then she was fine for a month, then a few days of regurgitation . . . until finally she was symptom free. It was frustrating because every time that happened, I assumed she had gotten glutened somehow. In hindsight, she was just still in the process of healing.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I had good periods too. I've had it my whole life but after I had my first child was when it got really bad. I started getting other things like constant sinus and bronchial infections due to the inflammation too. So there were times when my GI symptoms weren't there but I had other stuff going on.

Archived