This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eczema...how Long After Going Gluten-Free Did It Stop?

Metoo

Metoo Enthusiast

I am at 4 weeks Gluten Free (with 1 glutening the first week)....and my pompholyx ezcema is currently at the best it has ever looked since I got it! Even with the super steroid cream it never looked this good. I have no new blisters, the coloring is normal, and the map/cracks of my skin have reappeared!

This is making me very hopeful that gluten-free has solved it! But I know only time will tell if it goes through its stages again. I know gluten-free has slowed down the turn over rate on the stages.

If you have/had ezcema did a gluten-free diet completely solve it? How long did eating gluten-free take for it to go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

I am at 4 weeks Gluten Free (with 1 glutening the first week)....and my pompholyx ezcema is currently at the best it has ever looked since I got it! Even with the super steroid cream it never looked this good. I have no new blisters, the coloring is normal, and the map/cracks of my skin have reappeared!

This is making me very hopeful that gluten-free has solved it! But I know only time will tell if it goes through its stages again. I know gluten-free has slowed down the turn over rate on the stages.

If you have/had ezcema did a gluten-free diet completely solve it? How long did eating gluten-free take for it to go away?

Hi Metoo,

The gluten free diet improved my skin greatly. However it did not completely get rid of my eczema. I am having to go on a mostly vegetarian diet without animal fats or eggs for a while to clean out my liver/gallbladder. I am also taking herbs for the liver/gallbladder to cure my eczema in my ears and crotch area as well as relieve gallbladder stress I was experiencing two weeks ago. Not only has it cured my liver/gall bladder distress, it has also finally cured my eczema when nothing else did. I then finally learned there is a direct correlation between liver/gallbladder health and eczema--something I had not known before.

Thus fresh blended veggies like iceburg lettuce with celery and parsley is very good for me as well as eating plenty of other vegetables. I also often have some lemon or lime in water a couple of times a day (especially first thing in the morning) which helps stimulate digestion.

The herbs I am using are: dandelion, oregon grape root, barberry root, marshmallow root. They both stimulate the liver/gallbladder to release bile as well as help dissolve liver and gall stones which can block the pathway for bile to be released. Bile is needed to help the colon do its job. If the liver and gallbladder get blocked your body becomes more toxic and thus your skin often then suffers the consequences, as can your intestines and your kidneys.

Lecithin and flax seed are very good too. Am having 1 tablespoon fresh ground flax in a large glass of water most every day.

For protein I am eating no fat plain yogurt, lentils, red or black beans and the occasional trout.

I don't know absolutely that what is working for me will work for you. However I am guessing it really would. Being off all trace gluten of course is key. This means even your lotions, creams, shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, lipstick and chap-stick etc. all need to be completely gluten free.

Good luck!

Bea

Metoo Enthusiast

Well, its been 4 days since I posted this...and my ezcema is GONE. There is no discoloration anymore! I have all the lines on my palm back, its not inflammed, I can't even see really where it was anymore! After 6 months of dealing with it and trying prescription creams on it, its GONE!

I am very happy, and now will just wait and see if it stays gone!

squirmingitch Veteran

Terrific news Metoo! And I hope it stays gone! Be sure not to get glutened. :D

YoloGx Rookie

Yay, kudos for you!

Am glad to hear its not as intractible as mine, though even mine is finally going away by being on the above herbs etc. and off heavy salicylates.

Archived