This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Black Pepper Substitute

missmellie

missmellie Newbie

Hi, everybody. Due to multiple food intolerances, cooking from scratch is a must for me. So, I add my own spices. I'm really having trouble finding something to substitute for black pepper since it's one of the things I cannot have.

Does anyone have a suggestion about something I could use in place of pepper? (I already use onion and garlic.) Cannot use peppers in any form (green, red, hot, chili, peppercorns.... none of it)

Thanks for your ideas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Hi, everybody. Due to multiple food intolerances, cooking from scratch is a must for me. So, I add my own spices. I'm really having trouble finding something to substitute for black pepper since it's one of the things I cannot have.

Does anyone have a suggestion about something I could use in place of pepper? (I already use onion and garlic.) Cannot use peppers in any form (green, red, hot, chili, peppercorns.... none of it)

Thanks for your ideas.

i dont have ideas for substitutes, BUT im curious how exactly they identified your igg allergy to black pepper... cause i have read that black pepper can be bothersome to some because it has a mold on it, but that if you grind it fresh it may be tolerable.. but i really dont know anything about Igg allergy testing & identification, etc...

just thought id share that

Juliebove Rising Star

I would just leave the pepper out. You probably won't notice it unless it is something that is normally very peppery.

missmellie Newbie

I guess I didn't do a good job of communicating. I'm looking for "heat". Spicy heat. In my part of the country, salsa is just as much as condiment as ketchup. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about missing it. :(

love2travel Mentor

I guess I didn't do a good job of communicating. I'm looking for "heat". Spicy heat. In my part of the country, salsa is just as much as condiment as ketchup. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about missing it. :(

Fresh ginger has nice heat. I also use dried chiles and grind them and use as a seasoning (i.e. in my salsas, sauces). Garlic is pungent but mellow when roasted.

missmellie Newbie

i dont have ideas for substitutes, BUT im curious how exactly they identified your igg allergy to black pepper... cause i have read that black pepper can be bothersome to some because it has a mold on it, but that if you grind it fresh it may be tolerable.. but i really dont know anything about Igg allergy testing & identification, etc...

just thought id share that

CassP,

I couldn't find any docs where I lived that would do anything other than tell me to take more pills. I wanted to get to the REASON that I was having D multiple times a day, making life miserable. So, I ordered a test kit called YorkTest. I didn't know the test would go back to the UK for processing, but it did. Of course, I had to pay for it out of pocket, but it was worth it in the long run.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

How about horseradish root? i like the ginger idea as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I haven't tried this myself because I don't like black pepper. I have been told that papaya seeds are a good substitute.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Yes, I've also read that ginger root apparently has some heat to it, while the ground one does not. I think perhaps mustard might provide some heat as well, especially the Chinese mustard, as I've read it is the hottest. The horseradish idea is another one to try.

Although cumin and turmeric aren't really hot, they are among the kinds of spices you'll find in curries, so perhaps these might help bring the flavor closer to what you're looking for, when combined with the hot spices mentioned in this thread.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Wasabi powder? It's horseradish, but distinct.

Dang sure unstops my nose.

missmellie Newbie

Thanks, new friends. I really appreciate your responses. Great ideas!!! I'm so glad to have found this site and this forum. :D

Archived