This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Being Shoehorned / Misdiagnosed?

Mordikar

Mordikar Newbie

[quote name='love2travel' timestamp='1323469727' post='755329'

Sorry to have highjacked the thread...just wanted to add to what others have said about the ability to cook and eat very well with celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
love2travel Mentor

absolutely awesome!!!!! does it stick? if i get it wet and press it together? like for making ravioli???? i can definitely see it for lasagna, and spaghetti ...

I had been toying with the idea of getting my butcher to thin slice some chicken breasts, then cut them into strips, and season and pan sear them in olive oil, then use that to serve a nice red sauce over, kind of like chicken pasta... was trying to think creatively .. haven't gotten to it yet though...

It works well for ravioli and spaghetti, too. I have not tried lasagne sheets from that recipe yet but that is on my to do list! With pasta this good I think I will have to make it weekly. The bit of freshly-grated nutmeg is very nice. I think fresh nutmeg is extremely underused.

Your chicken idea sounds great! In the "Gluten Freen Girl and the Chef" book is a recipe using the pasta with smoked duck ravioli which I am doing soon, too. I am such a pasta fanatic! This recipe would also be amazing with bolognese sauce, various pesto sauces, marinara, carbonara...you name it. I've been making some great gnocchi lately, too. Mmmmmmm... One of the pizzas I made recently is better than pizza I had in Venice just a couple of weeks ago!

I posted a very good focaccia recipe on here a few months ago, too, if you are interested (depending on what you decide to do!).

Mordikar Newbie

so I decided to go have a snack... remembered i had just bought a nice summer sausage, some extra sharp cheddar, and smoked swiss....

Only to find dextrose and smoke flavor in the brand new summer sausage .... This crap is in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! and it was brand new... Sumer sausage is one of my favorite holiday treats... aaaarrrrgggggggg!!!!!!!!

i'm almost terrified to look at the egg nog ... (at least i already can make that from scratch)

Linus Newbie

Don't worry, giving up gluten is not hard. There are lots of alternatives. The fiber you lose from bread is easily gained back with a very small serving of veggies or nuts. There are lots of books now about coeliac that will help. You are lucky to find out. Your life expectancy will benefit. Coeliac is something not to ignore.

A year before I was diagnosed, I stopped eating bread, pasta and pizza because I felt something was wrong. Occasionally I ate a sandwich and that was it. My doctor was amazed at my cholesterol and triglyceride levels. They had dropped. I felt better, but just that small amount of gluten was enough to still damage my intestines. My endoscopy and blood tests came back as a strong positive. My diagnosis was accidental.

Anyhow, for the first 5 months I ate a lot of gluten free alternatives since it was clear now what was causing symptoms. What I can say about the gluten free alternatives is watch out. For me, my triglyceride levels raised again. This is because the carb consumption was higher than normal, and I was absorbing food better than ever. You might be getter off enjoying a wheat barley and rye free diet that is low in carbs that are starch related. Stick to whole foods with moderate levels of protein. Your carb intake should be from vegetables and fruits if possible.

Everyone is different. I am genetically predisposed to higher triglyceride levels. Your situation may be different. Either way do some research and see what you can gain from others here. They are very helpful.

Linus Newbie

dextrose is fine. It is highly processed and known to not contain gluten. If it is sourced from wheat, by law that would need to be disclosed on the package in the USA.

Earlier I posted some information. I just finished a book called Wheat Belly. It is pretty good. You might want to check into it. First howvever I reccomemd a book strictly about Coeliac. It will help with the questions that you have about ingredients.

Skylark Collaborator

so I decided to go have a snack... remembered i had just bought a nice summer sausage, some extra sharp cheddar, and smoked swiss....

Only to find dextrose and smoke flavor in the brand new summer sausage .... This crap is in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! and it was brand new... Sumer sausage is one of my favorite holiday treats... aaaarrrrgggggggg!!!!!!!!

i'm almost terrified to look at the egg nog ... (at least i already can make that from scratch)

Dextrose is fine. Smoke flavor is fine if you're eating food you got in the US and it doesn't list "wheat ingredients". It's actually unusual to find gluten in sausage, egg nog, or natural cheese, other than the beer-washed cheeses that are in fashion right now.

kareng Grand Master

In the US, sausage rarely, if ever has gluten added. In the UK i hear its the other way around. Wheat cannot hide, it must be spelled out in the US.

Look at Peter's post (about 4 down) for a great explanation.

Also, check out the link he gave at the bottom of the post. These companies will disclose any gluten, not just wheat so barley can never hide in thier products. That said, most companies like to disclose barley (Malt) as it is an expensive sweetener.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mordikar Newbie

Thanks guys. i was just looking at the dangerous ingredients list on this site somewhere ... it's all so confusing and new.

Celiac Maniac Newbie

Again,

thank you all very very much. not only for the knowledge and advise but also for helping me correct my outlook on my dr, and on the possibility of having this condition. Here i should be thankful for a dr that is investigating, and for possibly catching this before it does severe dammage, and instead i'm griping because i don't want to give up pasta. :(

Thank you very much indeed.

Justin.

Schar pasta is the best. It's available at most Walmarts in the gluten-free section. Has the same texture as regular.

I am reminded of a comedian I saw on Comedy Central a few weeks ago who was Dx with celiac and told he must go gluten-free. When he described gluten-free pasta, he started chewing on the microphone cord!

Some are like that (I'm looking at you: corn pasta) but the Schar is really very good.

TK Kenyon

IrishHeart Veteran

If you cannot make your own pasta. I think the Tinkyada brown rice pasta (penne, ziti, elbows, etc.) tastes darn close to the real deal.

I am not a big fan of the corn pasta. Just my taste buds, maybe.

Just one secret--my cousin shared this after much trial and error--don't follow the cooking directions on the package. Cook for 13 mins. at most. Check one at 12 mins.

Roda Rising Star

I have to say I strongly dislike any rice based gluten free pasta. The only gluten free pasta we like, and I include my very picky husband, is Sam's Mill corn pasta. I tried a different corn pasta and hated it. So for a quick go to it is the Sams Mill. love2travel has inpired me to try homemade pasta. As soon as I can find a safe garbonzo-fava flour that is free of gluten free oat cross contamination, I'm going to try it.

love2travel Mentor

I have to say I strongly dislike any rice based gluten free pasta. The only gluten free pasta we like, and I include my very picky husband, is Sam's Mill corn pasta. I tried a different corn pasta and hated it. So for a quick go to it is the Sams Mill. love2travel has inpired me to try homemade pasta. As soon as I can find a safe garbonzo-fava flour that is free of gluten free oat cross contamination, I'm going to try it.

Me, too. I cannot tolerate the rice-based gluten-free pasta, especially since there are so much better choices for flavour and texture.

Roda, please let us know when you try making this pasta. It is almost a miracle to me as I was wondering whether I would ever find a gluten-free pasta with the true characteristics of gluten pasta. I cannot recall the brand name of my garfava - will look it up. Once you make it once I am sure you will be looking for reasons to make it again and again!! It is that good. We should NOT have to settle for less than stellar pasta.

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, of course, I agree... homemade is best--for ANY food, don't you think? :)

Unfortunately, some people may not have the time/energy/money/physical capability or cooking equipment to make homemade pasta--and we're just suggesting a few alternative ready-made options that may be helpful.

:)

Hubby is getting the pasta attachment for his Kitchen Aid from Santa this year.... :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Well, of course, I agree... homemade is best--for ANY food, don't you think? :)

Unfortunately, some people may not have the time/energy/money/physical capability or cooking equipment to make homemade pasta--and we're just suggesting a few alternative ready-made options that may be helpful.

:)

Hubby is getting the pasta attachment for his Kitchen Aid from Santa this year.... :lol:

You're right, Irish. Some of us have the space, inclination, etc. to do it. I am one of those fortunate few and for that I am so grateful.

Lucky Hubby! Using the pasta attachments is really a lot of fun.

IrishHeart Veteran

You're right, Irish. Some of us have the space, inclination, etc. to do it. I am one of those fortunate few and for that I am so grateful.

Lucky Hubby! Using the pasta attachments is really a lot of fun.

Lucky Hubby & Lucky ME! tee hee

I love my pasta.

Cannot wait! ;)

We looked at the link you posted. Thanks!

Sounds yum.

Mordikar Newbie

had my first gluten free pasta... was some hodgson mills stuff rom albertsons. It wasn't horrid ... it wasn't pasta.... uggg.

I would really really prefer to make my own. Unfortunately i just do not have the time to do so regularly. I intend to give it a shot and make some lasagna noodles and ravioli's soon. Of course that means going out and searching for gluten free flour stuff. Also i have a hand mixer, and no pasta machine or attachments ... (any guesses what is on my christmas wish list??)

All in all I'm not doing too horrible. I have an egg a slice of bacon or sausage, some yogurt, and fruit in the mornings, I have a salad for lunch, and what ever i can manage to put together after work for dinner. Last night it was NY strips seasoned and soaked in red wine, some gluten free penne with olive oil, garlic, basil, lemon juice and parmesan. and green beans...

Day one of gluten free my wife decided to go to red lobster for lunch where i spent 20 minutes looking at the menu and a print out of their allergen lists trying toi piece together something to order.... while the waiter came by like 7 times to see if i was ready... by the time we finally ordered my wife had filled up on rolls.

Day 2 of my gluten freeness started off with my niece's birthday party at Cracker Barrel ... (should have named the place Gluten Barrel) ....

I ended up looking at the "low carb menu" (all 3 items) and selecting something and telling them no toast. (I of course had to send it back when it came out with toast....)

Again, all in all it's not horrible .... It's just going to take a LOT of adjusting.... (ok so I'm still trying to convince myself a bit...)

Oh and in case no one noticed ... I like elipses ....

Korwyn Explorer

That's ok, as an astronomy lover I like orbital ellipses. :) Which is odd (not that I have anything against oddity or oddness or odd numbers in general...or specific) since I have some OCD issues with patterns and symmetry, so I would expect I would prefer circles. Not that I actually prefer one over the other, but I'm just saying if I had a choice between an elipse or an ellipse I'd definitely choose the ellipse. Or the circle. Since technically a circle is an ellipse but an ellipse is not a circle... or an elipse.

IrishHeart Veteran

had my first gluten free pasta... was some hodgson mills stuff rom albertsons. It wasn't horrid ... it wasn't pasta.... uggg.

I would really really prefer to make my own. Unfortunately i just do not have the time to do so regularly. I intend to give it a shot and make some lasagna noodles and ravioli's soon. Of course that means going out and searching for gluten free flour stuff. Also i have a hand mixer, and no pasta machine or attachments ... (any guesses what is on my christmas wish list??)

All in all I'm not doing too horrible. I have an egg a slice of bacon or sausage, some yogurt, and fruit in the mornings, I have a salad for lunch, and what ever i can manage to put together after work for dinner. Last night it was NY strips seasoned and soaked in red wine, some gluten free penne with olive oil, garlic, basil, lemon juice and parmesan. and green beans...

Day one of gluten free my wife decided to go to red lobster for lunch where i spent 20 minutes looking at the menu and a print out of their allergen lists trying toi piece together something to order.... while the waiter came by like 7 times to see if i was ready... by the time we finally ordered my wife had filled up on rolls.

Day 2 of my gluten freeness started off with my niece's birthday party at Cracker Barrel ... (should have named the place Gluten Barrel) ....

I ended up looking at the "low carb menu" (all 3 items) and selecting something and telling them no toast. (I of course had to send it back when it came out with toast....)

Again, all in all it's not horrible .... It's just going to take a LOT of adjusting.... (ok so I'm still trying to convince myself a bit...)

...oh I LOVE them too. I always use them..... :lol: I like the dramatic effect. :lol:

Really, look at my posts...full of them. And I should know better than to overuse them; I was an English Prof. :lol: I also like dashes. :lol:

Cracker Barrell is gluten hell, hon. All that flour in the kitchen, just ripe for CC. Once that toast hits the plate, CC! Cross-contamination is the major problem. Here is a link explaining how to avoid that:

Open Original Shared Link

...and if you have a plastic colander, out it goes!!!

Please at least give the Tinkyada brand pasta a try?? ... until you get your pasta- making equipment? I was a major pasta girl and honestly, it's not that bad.

Boil the water, cook ONLY 12-13 mins. Test it. I like it al dente and if you cook it too long, it's mush.

Okay, you're doing well so far! And you have an awesomely positive attitude about it all--not many folks adjust so quickly and so "happily".

Hang in there. Soon, you will be telling us that pain is letting up :) Fingers crossed!! Cheers, IH

mushroom Proficient

That's ok, as an astronomy lover I like orbital ellipses. :) Which is odd (not that I have anything against oddity or oddness or odd numbers in general...or specific) since I have some OCD issues with patterns and symmetry, so I would expect I would prefer circles. Not that I actually prefer one over the other, but I'm just saying if I had a choice between an elipse or an ellipse I'd definitely choose the ellipse. Or the circle. Since technically a circle is an ellipse but an ellipse is not a circle... or an elipse.

I think your kids might be on the right track after all ;) And how did eclipses get left out of this? Do you like those too?

Korwyn Explorer

I think your kids might be on the right track after all ;) And how did eclipses get left out of this? Do you like those too?

Oh yes. But being in the Pacific Northwest right on the coast I haven't seen an eclipse in 15 years. *sob*

Mordikar Newbie

just got called by the Gastroenterologists office. My blood work came back normal. (no details) the didn't set an appointment to talk to the doctor which i found annoying. However I didn't press the issue as I just had sonograms done for my abdomen. When those results come back there will be none of this office assistant calling me back to tell me I'm fine. I'm not fine... I HURT....

Gonna stick with the diet at least for 2 or 3 months to see if my symptoms improve.

More details as they become available....

kareng Grand Master

just got called by the Gastroenterologists office. My blood work came back normal. (no details) the didn't set an appointment to talk to the doctor which i found annoying. However I didn't press the issue as I just had sonograms done for my abdomen. When those results come back there will be none of this office assistant calling me back to tell me I'm fine. I'm not fine... I HURT....

Gonna stick with the diet at least for 2 or 3 months to see if my symptoms improve.

More details as they become available....

Get an actual copy of the results. It's amazing how many people on here have been told they are positive or negative because the doc read them wrong or the nurse didn't highlight the out of range numbers.

Mordikar Newbie

Get an actual copy of the results. It's amazing how many people on here have been told they are positive or negative because the doc read them wrong or the nurse didn't highlight the out of range numbers.

Never got the blood results. Sonograms show enlarged liver with fat deposits. Next stop hida scan jan 3rd. Likelyhood of celiac decreasing. Will keep you all posted.

kareng Grand Master

Never got the blood results. Sonograms show enlarged liver with fat deposits. Next stop hida scan jan 3rd. Likelyhood of celiac decreasing. Will keep you all posted.

Ugh! :(

That was my actual reaction to reading the above. At least they are still looking. Good luck!

beebs Enthusiast

gluten-free food is getting better everyday. I don't even notice the difference in pizza bases anymore, honestly-and there is a new range of pies in Australia and the pastry is flaky and buttery just like real pastry - mmm. If it is Celiac - just be thankful that its not 20 years ago when everything tasted like cardboard! haha!

Archived