This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy And Joint Pain

anabananakins

anabananakins Explorer

So my joints ache all the time and have done most of my life (I'm 34). It's gotten worse since I've been gluten free and started eating tonnes of vegetables - because an awful lot of those veges are tomato and bell pepper. So I've just started to go nightshade free, slowly (still have some spices)

I'm also trying to psych myself up to go dairy free. I'm lactose intolerant, but I also mostly follow the paleo eating guidelines and I've read a lot about dairy - it seems like there's a lot of reasons to give it up.

Anyway, in the last 36 hours I've eaten neither nightshades (beyond a teensy bit of spice) nor dairy and today I noticed my joints felt a lot better Then this morning I made mini cheesecakes (cream cheese, egg, vanilla, splenda) and about an hour ago I ate 3 of them (maybe an ounce and a bit each?) and besides my stomach now killing me, my hips and knees are back to being all creaky again.

Could dairy cause sudden joint pain like that? Or is it more likely a coincidence? (well, pretty sure stomach ache is the cream cheese). I feel like the fact that dairy is so painful to give up means it's bad for me. My experiences are that if I love it, it's bad. I could write a book. The Addiction Diet: Don't eat anything you really like.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

The weather causes me joint discomfort. And it's changing. Check with your doctor and have him/she run a full panel. Maybe you might find a deficiency that can be easily corrected.

Have you tried going off dairy for several weeks? You might want to try that...and to add an other suggestion to that, it's flu season too.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

GFreeMO Proficient

Casein can cause severe joint pain. Thats is what happens to me when I have casein.

anabananakins Explorer

The weather causes me joint discomfort. And it's changing. Check with your doctor and have him/she run a full panel. Maybe you might find a deficiency that can be easily corrected.

Have you tried going off dairy for several weeks? You might want to try that...and to add an other suggestion to that, it's flu season too.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

I'm actually in Australia where it's supposedly summer, though given it's been surely the coldest, wettest spring/summer ever, your point is still entirely valid :) I think I know all my deficiencies and they were on their way to resolution last time I saw the doc, but I haven't actually mentioned the joint pain since I complained of it when I was little so I will do that when I see my doc in early Jan. I was talking to my mother about the pain I complained about when I was a kid, and even then (I was 8, maybe?) I remember feeling like the doctor didn't really have any idea of the cause.

Interesting, GFreeMO. I'm sorry for your pain, but it does help to know that is a symptom people get.

• 5 weeks later...
collgwg Contributor

i too have been having the same joint pain when i eat any of the allergens

you got that right about don't eat anything you really like or tastes good

elmateing diets are a pain but it really helps to try and figure out what your body does and does not like

i have not been very careful and have used hubby's butter (big no no ) i have used hubby's peanut butter big no no and i have also used coffee whitener big no no my brain thinks oh it wont hurt just a little wont hurt but then when you do body hurts real bad i did not relize that there would be wheat crumbs in that and sure enough there was

i may have even used a fork that was used to perece potatoes for hubby

i have tryed gluten soy egg yeast free bread only to come to find out there was potato starch in it yup nightshade oh the deadly nightshade its akiller to me thats for sure after injesting nightshades i can not even dress my self cant type cant do hair cant do anything im in so much pain its awful and seeing as my system is so very senestive i can not even take any thing for pain it sure is frustrateing

hope you are feeling some what better and can figure out what is causeing this pain

huggs

Archived