This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Just Looking To Talk With Other Celiacs

Thyraxeon

Thyraxeon Newbie

Hey, just wanting to chat with other celiacs out there about the disease, how they came to cope with it, what they eat for breakfast, lunch (at school) and dinner. What kind of hobbies they are in to and just other thing.

Anyway my names Jeremiah and i was diagnoised July 20th 2002 (one week before my B-day) and ever since then it has been a rollercoaster ride, i went on and off my diet about 5 times. Well thats it for now, hope some one out there would like to chat, talk to you all later B) .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Hello Jeremiah! I was diagnosed just less than a year after you were. I was very glad to find the answer to my health problems but it took me a long time to fully understand this new diet. For breakfast I usually eat fruit. For lunch on campus I also bring fruit with me. For lunch at home I usually make egg sandwiches and for dinners either noodles with Alfredo sauce or tomato pizza (without cheese). Homemade cubed hashbrowns are a favourite of mine, too. I am a potter so I enjoy working with clay, making glazes, and spending time in the ceramics lab. I am also really into music and go to probably too many shows and buy way too many CDs.

Kristina

tarnalberry Community Regular

Welcome to the board!

I'm not a teenager any more, but I know you'll find a great group of people of all age ranges with a lot of useful information.

As for foods (I should add that I also have to avoid dairy) - for breakfast, I usually either have a smoothie, rice cakes with peanut butter, or hot or cold cereal. On weekends, I might make pancakes/waffles or an omlette. If I've felt ambitious during the week, I might have even made muffins to have for breakfast.

For lunch, I always bring lunch with me to work. You probably don't have the luxury of a microwave at school, but if I'm not using the microwave, I'll bring leftovers that can be eaten cold like chili, salads (bean or chicken or shrimp), a tuna salad with some corn tortillas I can fold it into, raw veggies with homemade hummus, fruit, or nuts, or things like that. You can also use a thermos to bring hot soup.

For dinner, I make a lot of "one-pot" meals, because I HATE cleaning, even though I love cooking. My husband eats gluten-free with me (and if we have friends over, everything I make is also gluten-free), so it's just one thing I make. So it's often stir-fries (particularly chili based, teriyaki, or ginger based sauces) over rice, soups, stews, baked chicken w/ vegetables, grilled meat and veggies, chili, etc.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Welcome to the board :D

You are welcome to email me or IM me anytime. My Yahoo is KaitiUSA.

I'm 18 and was diagnosed over a year and a half ago.

I usually bring my food with me pretty much everywhere I go and it has worked for me very well. Some people understand and some don't but that's ok because I am alot healthier then I was before.

Thyraxeon Newbie

Thats alot of neat ideas for meals, right now i'm going to be sitting down to eat hotdogs (W) rice, of course no bun, lol. So anyway did anyone of you guys used to get dizzy spells with blurred vision as a symptom? cause i did, some of them got so bad that my vission almost went all black and i had to hold on to somthing to not fall over, freaked me out cause at the time i though i had a brain tumor. (I'm a hypocondriac) cause with that, i also had "SEVERE" i mean "SEVERE" adominal pains these got to be so bad then i fell to the floor and cried, of course at the time i was 14 and this is before i diagnosed, i weighed 68lbs.

And to add more to the problem i belived in my heart and mind that i was dying from the following: Colon Cancer, Stomach cancer, Kidey Failure, brain tumor, Radiation psning (dont ask), Heart disease, Thyroid cancer, and i think thats about it, but the awful thing about it was that i never told any of my troubles, not my mom or sis, no one, i just had all this lying on my own shoulders. AH! can't talk anymore Moms yelling to come eat, TTYL, and thanks for awsering my post.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I had dizziness and blurred vision. Mono is what triggered my celiac to originally activate and that was one of my first symptoms. I had black outs alot and I also had to hold onto something because otherwise I would have fell down. Not sure if it was due to mono or celiac. I didn't have pain though...I had nausea rather than pain.

It took them a long time to diagnose me and I also thought I was dying from cancer or something and was actually relieved to find out it was celiac.

I have found some great substitutes for just about every food that I used to eat with gluten.

Archived