This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Could I Have Had This All My Life?

Guest DanceswithWolves

Guest DanceswithWolves

Now that I look back through my life...am I just over-obsessing to think that maybe I've been Gluten-intolerant all my life?

I always had "nervous problems" as my parents would call it. When I was a little kid I used to pull at my ear lobe until it was infected, I used to lick my lips and cover them with Chap stick til they were inflammed. I used to scratch my arm til it was pimply and moist. So, what I'm wondering, could I have been mis-diagnosed and maybe I had reactions to Gluten all this time? I always blamed everything on "Allergies". I've always had sinus problems, itchy and watery eyes, rashes.

As I grew older, I've had emotional breakdowns when I was sober and drunk. Mental fog and fatigue, confusion, depression, scattered thoughts, but also times of complete joy and a sense of carefreeness. I mean, I ate bread all my life, fast food, pizza with Ritz crackers was a personal fav!

Basically, I'm trying to figure out is Celiac Disease hereditary from your parents? I had someone tell me on another health site board that because my parents background is from western Europe it's a good possibility.

Could I have had this all my life and not know it or am I just screwed up in a mental sort of way?

I've read the some of the symptoms of Celiac Disease. I've never weighed more then 145 lbs all my life. Now I am 122.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

It is a genetic autoimmune disease. You inherit the gene from a parent. Your family members should also be tested for the disease. How are you doing on the diet? Have you found gluten free foods to eat that are helping put the weight on?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Danceswithwolves,

I've only been *totally* gluten free for a little over a week now. My appetite is much better now that I'm not feeling sick all the time...and I've gained almost 10 lbs. already. Some of its fluid since I have malabsorption issues...so I know its not all muscle and fat I'm gaining but its *still* much more than I was able to gain with gluten in me.

Jen H Contributor

Hey Danceswithwolves,

I don't think you're overanalyzing your situation. Last week I found out I have celiac disease and I have been wondering about some of the same questions. I had rheumatoid arthritis when I was younger, frequent ear and sinus infections, and had trouble putting weight on as a child. I also see symptoms in my family members. I think everything could be interconnected somehow, perhaps through celiac disease. Maybe I had it all along? So, in your case, it could very well all be related.

:) Jen

Guest DanceswithWolves
Danceswithwolves,

I've only been *totally* gluten free for a little over a week now. My appetite is much better now that I'm not feeling sick all the time...and I've gained almost 10 lbs. already. Some of its fluid since I have malabsorption issues...so I know its not all muscle and fat I'm gaining but its *still* much more than I was able to gain with gluten in me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank God is is somewhat reversible. I know that I may never be able to overindulge in my favorites again, but I don't want to be sickly looking all through my 40's either. God, I wish I would've realised what the hell celiac disease was and how to avoid it years ago. I guess the whole "stress from the new job" triggered it. It was bound to happen eventually.

I'm definitely done with beer and I guess if I want to enjoy a drink I will stick to wine (which I like anyway) or vodka drinks.

Yes...I have been constructing a gluten-free-free shop list and I did find that Kinniki( LOL ) bread available in a new store right near my home!!!!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Consider yourself lucky, then. I can't find it in my Henry's, WholeFoods, Jimbos, Trader Joe's. At least, not consistently. SOMETIMES one of the stores will have it. I got sick of the disappointment, though, and have become a strict online orderer.

higgins Newbie

Save your receipts, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest DanceswithWolves
Save your receipts, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, you're telling me I can " write off " my Gluten? :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

Absolutely. If the total difference between your gluten-free food and the regular alternatives is at least 7.5% of your annual income, you can get a deduction for celiac. You have to save your receipts, though.

Read more here: https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...-27105204952.ca

tarnalberry Community Regular
Absolutely.  If the total difference between your gluten-free food and the regular alternatives is at least 7.5% of your annual income, you can get a deduction for celiac.  You have to save your receipts, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minor modification - if your total medical expenses are greater than 7.5% of your income, you can add them to your itemized deductions. You can include the extra cost of foods needed to maintain a gluten free diet (the increase in price of a gluten free loaf of bread, or the whole cost of items unique to a gluten-free diet, like xanthum gum for baking) in your medical expense deduction.

So, if you make $50k a year, you would have to spend $3750 (out of pocket) in medical costs before you could take this deduction.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I'm  definitely done with beer and I guess if I want to enjoy a drink I will stick to wine (which I like anyway) or vodka drinks.

Yes...I have been constructing a gluten-free-free shop list and I did find that Kinniki( LOL ) bread  available in a new store right near my home!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please go for potato vodka only. Many places say that grain alcohols and vinagers are okay for us. My families experiences scream differently. My son and I both react to them just as we would to a slice of bread, and the hangovers are awful. We switched to wines, potato vodka and gluten-free beer, Bards Tale is good if you can find it. Don't drink malt liqours, look for hard cider instead. And BEWARE the speedbar or soda fountain both are often contaminated. Use a canned gluten-free soda, not all are, or V8 or canned juice. Everyone is different but I would stay away from grain based anything to start.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Please go for potato vodka only. Many places say that grain alcohols and vinagers are okay for us. My families experiences scream differently. My son and I both react to them just as we would to a slice of bread, and the hangovers are awful. We switched to wines, potato vodka and gluten-free beer, Bards Tale is good if you can find it. Don't drink malt liqours, look for hard cider instead. And BEWARE the speedbar or soda fountain both are often contaminated. Use a canned gluten-free soda, not all are, or V8 or canned juice. Everyone is different but I would stay away from grain based anything to start.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does this also apply to something like vanilla extract? Is the alcohol in it grain based? All I know is I had a BAD reaction to the extract but also to vanilla flavored yogurt. I'm not sure if I'm just having a hard time with vanilla in general or if there is hidden gluten. I dont seem to react to things like gluten-free cookies which have vanilla listed as an ingredient. I'm so confused about that :blink:

zakismom Newbie

Not all extracts are gluten free-try Mccormack,s. Also check your yogurt brand-not all are gluten-free.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Not all extracts are gluten free-try Mccormack,s.  Also check your yogurt brand-not all are gluten-free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks...I called Spice Islands about the vanilla awhile back. I was told it was gluten-free but the woman was so quick to respond I sort of didn't believe her. Also the yogurt is on the Delphi list. I just bought Flavorganics Vanilla which is actually labeled gluten-free so I guess I'll have to try it and see if I react. I think its the only way I'll know for sure :(

PicturePerfect Explorer

How do you people know so much?

Merika Contributor

About the vanilla, it should be gluten-free if it's grain alcohol BUT you may react to alcohol or yeast, so you may be reacting to the vanilla :) Most people it seems who had celiac for a long time before going gluten-free have subsequent food allergies.

Merika

nogluten- Newbie

I've always had allergies and was very "hyper" as a kid, according to my family, but I was super shy to the point of social anxiety at school. I had ADD, always ate whatever I wanted and people thought I must be bulemic because I'm so thin. I experienced a lot of mood swings, depressions etc. I also had very chapped lips as a kid and carried around a Bonne bell lip smacker necklace all of the time. Half of my family has Celiac (French,American Indian,Swedish and Scots-Irish genealogy), but I'm the only one following the diet. Crazy, I know, but my Crohn's was more of a push for me maybe. My grandfather died of lymphoma and was finally diagnosed with Celiac shortly before his death. He had a lot of problems with drinking and the other things you mention throughtout his life, and auto-immune diseases run in my family. I know untreated Celiac can cause a lot of problems. I hope you've been tested, and good luck to you. If you are diagnosed with Celiac or you're not, a good book to read is "Restoring Your Digestive Health" by Jordan S. Rubin and Joseph Brasco. Sorry if this is poorly written or hard to understand but I'm tired! :blink:

Jen H Contributor

And BEWARE the speedbar or soda fountain both are often contaminated. Use a canned gluten-free soda, not all are, or V8 or canned juice. Everyone is different but I would stay away from grain based anything to start.

Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but I'm new to celiac disease. How can a soda fountain be contaminated?

:) Jen

DDShubert Newbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DDShubert Newbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI,

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. As an Irishman I am in mourning that I will no longer be able to have a Jameson and a Guiness. Are there any whiskeys or dark beers that you know of that I can still have?

Cheers,

Duane

Merika Contributor

Duane,

There are some special made gluten-free beers that are light at best. Nothing dark. I don't know what's available in Delaware. Maybe contact your local celiac org and find out. They will not be at your average grocery store.

Sorry, I'm not up on my whiskey ingredients. Someone else will have to chime in :)

Merika

nettiebeads Apprentice
HI,

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease. As an Irishman I am in mourning that I will no longer be able to have a Jameson and a Guiness. Are there any whiskeys or dark beers that you know of that I can still have?

Cheers,

Duane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whiskey is a grain alcohol and supposedly any gluten gets filtered out in the distallation process. I know I haven't had a celiac disease reaction to whiskey, but for some dumb reason whiskey, even a little bit, gives me one hellacious hangover. I'm stuck with vodka and tequila.

zakismom Newbie

I thought the better whiskeys were okay. Ihaven't tried any though, I'm happy with a margarita!

marfa62 Newbie
Does this also apply to something like vanilla extract? Is the alcohol in it grain based? All I know is I had a BAD reaction to the extract but also to vanilla flavored yogurt. I'm not sure if I'm just having a hard time with vanilla in general or if there is hidden gluten. I dont seem to react to things like gluten-free cookies which have vanilla listed as an ingredient. I'm so confused about that  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you explain to me how "Columbo" yogurt gets wheat in it? I do not understand , It is not on the label of ingredients. Dairies do not use flour as one of their ingredients. What am I missing in the manuyfactuing process? There is tons of sugar for sure in with the fruit. But gluten or wheat?

Archived