This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Guy!

deltron80

deltron80 Rookie

ugh cheated for the first time tonight...bloated :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

First the smart A remark: That will be attractive to women!

Now you get my Mom remark: What have you learned from this, Dear?

IrishHeart Veteran

uh-oh....Cheating is most unwise, my friend. Why are you doing this????

Hope your anxiety and other symptoms do not come roaring back. Mine always

do with any accidental CC. :unsure:

deltron80 Rookie

I wanted to bring a couple out of town friends to the best pizza place in my town...and I was also kind of curious what would happen after 6 weeks gluten-free... all that really happened was I got extremely bloated and felt kinda feverish...weird :blink:

I'm back on the wagon now...kinda concerned about an upcoming vacation, but I'll just be extra careful! :o

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Don't cheat Deltron! A pizza place is a danger zone. There's flour that goes airborn and settles on everything. :o Your friends won't take your diet seriously if it appears that you can can go off and on it?

PS..I kind of like a guy with long arms. You'd be handy for reaching things on the top shelf of the cabinet. ;)

deltron80 Rookie

Hope your anxiety and other symptoms do not come roaring back. Mine always

do with any accidental CC. :unsure:

Hmm...yes it would appear some of my neuro symptoms have also resurfaced...I guess even occasional "cheating" is not worth it!

Your friends won't take your diet seriously if it appears that you can can go off and on it?

Good point...I'd never let my close friends see me eat gluten...these were out of towners I was trying to impress at the expense of my health lol.

PS..I kind of like a guy with long arms. You'd be handy for reaching things on the top shelf of the cabinet. ;)

Haha! Well I like ladies who can cook things I reach for ;)

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Doh! I forgot to add...once I went gluten-free my blood pressure lowered on it's own. I was able to quit taking my blood pressure meds. I guess the inflammation that gluten causes can raise one's blood pressure?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Hmm...yes it would appear some of my neuro symptoms have also resurfaced...I guess even occasional "cheating" is not worth it!

Good point...I'd never let my close friends see me eat gluten...these were out of towners I was trying to impress at the expense of my health lol.

Nope, occasional cheating is NEVER worth it---it just reboots the autoimmume response. Neuro issues are the SLOWEST to resolve, so those ugly buggers last a few weeks. :blink: I hate that anxiety stuff...yuck.

I'll give you my "mom" tsk, tsk (waggling my finger) and then say---"Hope you learned your lesson, young man!!" :lol: Seriously, though---not a good idea to ingest gluten, okay??

As for impressing people---yeah, but what if you had to leave the table suddenly to vomit or "expell" something?? THAT would be very impressive, huh?? :rolleyes: So attractive. <_<

You have a serious condition that requires care, hon--I know, you are probably in your 20's and think you are bullet proof (yeah, I was once, too

and wouldn't have given a rat's butt about such things--smoke, drink, whatever,,,,I thought, nothing can hurt me :lol: ) but kiddo, please don't mess with gluten anymore. Live a good, long healthy life!!

Be well--be happy---now, that's attractive ;)

deltron80 Rookie

Doh! I forgot to add...once I went gluten-free my blood pressure lowered on it's own. I was able to quit taking my blood pressure meds. I guess the inflammation that gluten causes can raise one's blood pressure?

I hope that happens with me! It only seems logical inflammation would cause higher blood pressure... I'm getting a BP monitor so I will keep an eye on it.

I would also like to get off my GERD meds someday too although that's a bit more doubtful b/c I think I have some mechanical issues that are unlikely to change. :blink:

Nope, occasional cheating is NEVER worth it---it just reboots the autoimmume response. Neuro issues are the SLOWEST to resolve, so those ugly buggers last a few weeks. :blink: I hate that anxiety stuff...yuck.

Be well--be happy---now, that's attractive ;)

I will take your advice! B)

IrishHeart Veteran

I will take your advice! B)

intelligence and common sense are very attractive traits :) girls like

smart guys ;)

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I would also like to get off my GERD meds someday too although that's a bit more doubtful b/c I think I have some mechanical issues that are unlikely to change. :blink:

I have been on PPI med for a long time for severe GERD. Since I think my gluten and soy were causing it, I recently asked my new Dr. if he thought I could try going off the PPI? He said to give it a try and use an H2 blocker like Zantac if really needed.

Those GERD meds can cause all sorts of bad side effects,especially with long term use, so I hope you can get to where you can try going off them too.

• 2 weeks later...
deltron80 Rookie

I have been on PPI med for a long time for severe GERD. Since I think my gluten and soy were causing it, I recently asked my new Dr. if he thought I could try going off the PPI? He said to give it a try and use an H2 blocker like Zantac if really needed.

Those GERD meds can cause all sorts of bad side effects,especially with long term use, so I hope you can get to where you can try going off them too.

Thanks for the info...I'm going to ask my doctor about that. I don't want to take PPI's for the rest of my life. I already have Osteopenia as it is.

Just a little update on my progress for you folks:

All inclusive resort buffets are the devil!!! Eat at your own risk! :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

All inclusive resort buffets are the devil!!! Eat at your own risk! :ph34r:

Buffets, diners, salad bars,....vewwwy scawwwy. :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
deltron80 Rookie

My spleen hurts.... :angry:

IrishHeart Veteran

My spleen hurts.... :angry:

uh-oh what's going on???

deltron80 Rookie

uh-oh what's going on???

Not sure yet, but it seems like I've got an enlarged spleen...I have an ultrasound scheduled. I can't help but suspect it's Celiac related.

Cross your fingers for me!!! :blink:

BarryC Collaborator

Hi Good to see more guys. I havent been diagnosed with celiac, but I am pretty sure I am gluten sensitive. I figure it out a few years ago but kept backsliding. Cant resist my toast!

Started agin Jan first and getting better slowly-I am 52 so it will take longer.

I also have GERD, anxiety, hypertension, I.B.S., A.D.D. (real bad as an adolescent), and sleep apnea.All are improving. The worst is the big hard distended belly but it is beginning to soften up. At my age I dont expect to get washboard abs. Looking back I lived on toast, and my Granny fed me her delicious home baked bread. I was the only kid that 'had to lie down and take a nap' after eating it!

IrishHeart Veteran

Not sure yet, but it seems like I've got an enlarged spleen...I have an ultrasound scheduled. I can't help but suspect it's Celiac related.

Cross your fingers for me!!! :blink:

Well, a bunch of organs I had were enlarged due to celiac--really, my GB, Spleen, liver, pancreas, thyroid--I had all kinds of "itisis"--so it is possible. Inflammation can cause lots of problems. :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed, of course!

Are you sticking to your diet, kiddo?

deltron80 Rookie

Hi Good to see more guys. I havent been diagnosed with celiac, but I am pretty sure I am gluten sensitive. I figure it out a few years ago but kept backsliding. Cant resist my toast!

Started agin Jan first and getting better slowly-I am 52 so it will take longer.

I also have GERD, anxiety, hypertension, I.B.S., A.D.D. (real bad as an adolescent), and sleep apnea.All are improving. The worst is the big hard distended belly but it is beginning to soften up. At my age I dont expect to get washboard abs. Looking back I lived on toast, and my Granny fed me her delicious home baked bread. I was the only kid that 'had to lie down and take a nap' after eating it!

Yup, I've got all those symptoms too! It's nice to know there are other people out there going through the same thing.

Well, a bunch of organs I had were enlarged due to celiac--really, GB, Spleen, liver, thyroid--I had all kinds of "itisis"--so it is possible. Inflammation can cause lots of problems. :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed, of course!

Are you sticking to your diet, kiddo?

I've probably got a lot of other 'enlarged' organs in my sizable abdomen... I've only been getting fatter since going gluten free though...I guess I need to cut back a bit on the hard cider haha.

I've been sticking to the diet except for the few transgressions noted above, although my diet could still use some work!

IrishHeart Veteran

I've been sticking to the diet except for the few transgressions noted above, although my diet could still use some work!

You are the only one that controls what goes in your mouth, kiddo.

You have got to be more careful!! This is not something to mess with.

You know this already because we already "Mommed" you enough with it.

But I do hope your spleen is okay. Keep us posted.

• 1 month later...
deltron80 Rookie

Good news! My spleen and other organs all appear to be normal. I think my guts are just going through a lot of upheaval since I went gluten-free. I may also be getting some cross contamination, but I'm usually very careful.

It's been 4 months now gluten-free and the doctor says all my gluten markers are coming way down.

IrishHeart Veteran

Good news! My spleen and other organs all appear to be normal. I think my guts are just going through a lot of upheaval since I went gluten-free. I may also be getting some cross contamination, but I'm usually very careful.

It's been 4 months now gluten-free and the doctor says all my gluten markers are coming way down.

That is great news! Keep up the good work. :)

kareng Grand Master

Yeah!

Now we just need to update that monkey's wardrobe! :D

Archived