• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
ScarlettsMommy

Who Makes Best Pizza Crust?

Rate this topic

Ok attempting to make a pizza tonight ..one thats not horrible. Im gonna go out and buy mozzerella cheese and pepperoni pizza sauce, and of course...a crust. My local shop has some gluten free crusts and i googled them and it looks like my choices are Kinnickinnick, Glutino, and Amys. Which one do I choose?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I like the Kinnikinnick crusts. They are thicker than I would have liked in my gluten days and my son thinks they are a bit sweet but the texture is great and I really like them.

• Upvote 1

Don't get Amy's. I tried one of their frozen pizzas and it was downright nasty. I can't imagine the crust alone is any better.

• Upvote 1

Of those I would vote for the Kninnickinnick. Gluten Free Pantry makes a French Bread Mix that makes a great pizza dough if you have that locally. A bit more trouble to prepare than the premade but tastes great. It did take a bit for me to get used to having to spread it with a greased spatula but worth it.

• Upvote 1

If this is your first commercial gluten-free pizza crust, be prepared to be shocked at how dissimilar they are to what you are used to. The first time I tried a bought one I cried. No one told me how bad they would be. :( I still have the remaining crusts in the freezer.

Maybe pile it high with tons of delicious toppings! If it is an option, grilling the crust really makes a difference as opposed to baking it.

I hope you are successful in finding one you enjoy. :)

Ads by Google:

Amy's is horrible.

Udi's is passable.

Kinnickkinnick is ok.

The best choice IMO is either homemade or if you're in CO, there's a local frozen choice at Vitamin Cottage...I think it's from "Outside the Breadbox" bakery. Definitely not at all stores, sold in a 2 pack. Large and almost tastes like the real think (crust only, you build your own).

Ads by Google:

Premade - Joan's if you want a thick crust, Udi's if you want thin and cripsy. Chebe if you're making your own.

udi's is thin but definitely not crispy. If anyone knows how to crisp it up please tell me.

Ok attempting to make a pizza tonight ..one thats not horrible. Im gonna go out and buy mozzerella cheese and pepperoni pizza sauce, and of course...a crust. My local shop has some gluten free crusts and i googled them and it looks like my choices are Kinnickinnick, Glutino, and Amys. Which one do I choose?

Homemade is my favorite. We have tried so many store bought crust. The only crust I use that is store bought is from Gluten Free Creations in Phoenix. It is a bakery that is totally gluten free. It is a thin crust. Many resturants in the Phoenix area use it as their gluten free crust. You can order online.

But we have been baking homemade pizza crust for years. My favorites are using the Jules Gluten Free flour and using her recipe on her site. Or, if you like a mix, using the King Arthur Gluten Free pizza mix. I do prebake both of my crust for about 10 minutes before topping them. We make a thick crust pizza with both of these recipes. They are so great. Last week my kids had their friends over for a movie night, and I made homemade pizzas out of the Jules gluten free flour and her recipe, (I love her flour, it is in mho, the best gluten free flour blend) and they all said it was one of the best pizzas they had ever had.

Here are the websites for the flours and recipes.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/glutenfree/

http://blog.julesglutenfree.com/2011/02/pizza/

http://glutenfreecreations.com/ (this is the site for premade thin crust gluten-free pizza) (we use the Italian Seasoned Pizza Crust when I don't have time to make my own)

Good luck!

Ads by Google:

Homemade is my favorite. We have tried so many store bought crust. The only crust I use that is store bought is from Gluten Free Creations in Phoenix. It is a bakery that is totally gluten free. It is a thin crust. Many resturants in the Phoenix area use it as their gluten free crust. You can order online.

But we have been baking homemade pizza crust for years. My favorites are using the Jules Gluten Free flour and using her recipe on her site. Or, if you like a mix, using the King Arthur Gluten Free pizza mix. I do prebake both of my crust for about 10 minutes before topping them. We make a thick crust pizza with both of these recipes. They are so great. Last week my kids had their friends over for a movie night, and I made homemade pizzas out of the Jules gluten free flour and her recipe, (I love her flour, it is in mho, the best gluten free flour blend) and they all said it was one of the best pizzas they had ever had.

Here are the websites for the flours and recipes.

http://www.kingarthu...com/glutenfree/

http://blog.julesglu.../2011/02/pizza/

http://glutenfreecreations.com/ (this is the site for premade thin crust gluten-free pizza) (we use the Italian Seasoned Pizza Crust when I don't have time to make my own)

Good luck!

My favorite is definitely homemade...and it's also the recipe from Jules' blog. I do use her flour. In fact I sent a few bags to my son-in-law and the last time I talked with my daughter, she says her hubby's pizza is even better than the best gluten-free pizza they used to buy. And they live in Denver, which is a gluten-free haven.