This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenzyme

Kristinade

Kristinade Rookie

I saw this online. You take it before you eat gluten and it makes eating okay again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I saw this online. You take it before you eat gluten and it makes eating okay again.

I'd never take it. Period. My feeling is if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

kareng Grand Master

Anyone can put anything on line. They can make a slick website and even fake research. If there was a pill we could take, don't you think every Celiac website would talk about them. And pretty soon we wouldn't need a Celiac website. ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

How does it "make eating okay" again?

Do you mean it magically takes away the damaging effects of gluten in a Celiac?

Because there is no magic bullet for that. Sorry, kiddo.

If there were, it would be front page news and the developer would win the Nobel Prize in Medicine. :)

From the website:

"Glutenzyme is a digestive enzyme specifically designed to aid in the digestion of gluten. Glutenzyme may be especially helpful for those who suffer from gluten intolerance or celiac disease when they have an accidental ingestion of gluten or otherwise eat something that was unknowingly contaminated with gluten. It is not intended to be a substitute for the avoidance of gluten nor is it a cure for gluten intolerance. It is not suitable for people with stomach or intestinal ulcers. Warning - we recently learned that this product contains Dairy and Soy!"

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA to you???

Nope.

Don't waste your money.

Skylark Collaborator

If you believe this I have some genuine snake oil to sell you. It will cure any ill. Only $79.95 and if you buy in the next 15 minutes I will include an entire, full-size second bottle for absolutely no extra charge plus our special book "How to cure anything with snake oil".

(This statement has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Be sure to check with your health care practitioner before taking any dietary supplement.)

Chad Sines Rising Star

i do not believe in the stuff but apparently it is supposed to break down the gluten protein. Interesting theory; however, I do not know how they are proving that it tears up the part that the body sees as foreign.

Skylark Collaborator

DPP-IV was ineffective in clinical trials. The Alvine enzymes only worked for small amounts of CC. There is no pill that will suddenly allow you to eat a bagel.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

I have tried a couple different ones. Both helped my digestive issues but it did nothing to stop the dizziness Iwill have for 3+ weeks afterwards.

mamabear272 Explorer

I keep GlutenEase on hand for accidental glutenings. It doesn't completely take away symptoms but it does greatly reduce them. I certainly would NEVER use it to purposely eat anything gluteny but in a pinch it does help!

Katrala Contributor

If you have celiac, it is not proven to stop damage.

catsmeow Contributor

I use it for CC and have found it shortens the misery. I carry Gluten-zyme in my purse, that is the one I use. My Natureopathic doc friend gave me the first bottle I had. It took me nearly 2 years to go through it. I just bought my second bottle recently.

mamabear272 Explorer

If you have celiac, it is not proven to stop damage.

Right, but like I said, for accidental cc, it helps with symptoms. It doesn't take them away or stop small intestine damage by any stretch, I'm sure. ;)

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

could you take it with a meal at a restaurant you sortakinda trust but don't trust 100%? would that be beneficial?

I ask 'cause in a few years I wanna bike across america which will involve eating out of groceries mostly, but at some points you'll have to stop for food at restaurants that you're not completely sure of (I'll have glutenoid cycling partners)

mamabear272 Explorer

could you take it with a meal at a restaurant you sortakinda trust but don't trust 100%? would that be beneficial?

I ask 'cause in a few years I wanna bike across america which will involve eating out of groceries mostly, but at some points you'll have to stop for food at restaurants that you're not completely sure of (I'll have glutenoid cycling partners)

The GlutenEase that I use says to take one before eating a gluteny meal. I take 2 when I feel unsure. Just the other day I ate a magic bar that my mom made (she made a batch with and a batch without and I grabbed the wrong one :blink: ). I came home and immediately took 2. I had minimal tummy problems and did have a bit of fogginess, dizziness and joint pain. It was NOTHING like other glutenings I've had.

Like I've said (I feel like I can't stress it enough) don't use it as an excuse to gorge on gluten! It most likely won't do anything for intestinal damage and it doesn't eliminate symptoms. But in case of accidental or suspected glutening, it helps.

Archived