This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If More Docs Were Like My Dogs' Vet . . .

bigbird16

bigbird16 Apprentice

Just wanted to a share a happy. I have two Boston Terriers, one that I've had since he was 9 weeks (now 2, the one in my profile pic) and the other since late April (young adult, age unknown, brindle coloring). Both are happy little guys. Nothing gets thems down. The black and white loves people so much, and I joke that when he grows up, he'll be the social director on a cruise ship. The brindle likes people, but he's a little unsure sometimes and pretends to be tough to compensate; most of the time he also acts like a hyperactive toddler strung out on frosting at a birthday party.

For groomers when they get their nails cut, they're model citizens. For trainers and pet store employees, they're little angels -- even without treat incentives. However for the vet, my little one, who is bold and adventurous, started showing fear. My new one was growly and tried to snap at the vet on the first visit in May. They told me he had aggression issues and to get some training. Every other interaction in any other situation, I saw no aggression from him. I saw some uncertainty and a little fear, but no aggression. He needed a surgery to help with his breathing in June, and that vet had done a beautiful job on my first boy, so I let her take care of the new one. I wish I hadn't. They told me that he tried to bite them, and they had to throw a towel over him to hold him down to sedate him. He's 18 pounds, and it took four people and a towel to sedate him for surgery?!?! They said to give him xanax before brining him in for subsequent visits. At the follow up, he growled and snapped at them. After he healed from the surgery, we went into obedience classes. He was perfect. He showed no viciousness toward strangers or their dogs, and he allowed strangers to touch his face and paws and belly without issue. I never went back to that vet. How dare they stress my happy boy like that!

I found a new vet in October when it was time for vaccinations for my black and white. He combines Eastern and Western medicine. The new vet was concerned with the number of vaccinations he was receiving, so we talked about what was really needed based on our lifestyle. He conducted the exam on the floor where my pup was comfortable. He listened to my concerns and made suggestions. My boy was so content that, even after the vet stuck a swab up his butt and a needle in his paw, he play bowed to the vet to get him to continue playing. I had to take the new boy in last night due to a vomiting issue. The vet greeted him by plopping on the floor and playing and giving scratches. My "aggressive" boy turned into a puddle of wiggly mush and tackled the vet to kiss his entire face. He was his playful self, so relaxed, the entire time. The vet said he wanted to try the least invasive and stressful ways first. He said to change his food. While he approved of me giving the boys raw and no grains, lamb and salmon (hot foods) may be good for his brother, but they may not be good for him. Try rabbit and tuna (cold foods). He gave us an anti-vomiting med to stop the urge. If he's still chucking on Friday, then he'll do an xray, but he doesn't think it will be necessary; it's also a stressful procedure. He said a lot can be healed by simply paying attention to what we eat. Smart man. My boy jumped up and wiggled and kissed and was so happy that I almost cried. (Feeding my brindle tuna last night nearly started World War III. The little one was sooooooooo jealous!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Wow! What a difference. I'd say the new Vet sounds like a keeper for sure. :D

mommida Enthusiast

We had a Cairn Terrier that LOVED everyone. Children could pull her hair out, she brought "gifts" to guests at the door, and on and on. She growled at 3 people in her life. These people had undiagnosed cancer at the time. :blink: Furry friends pick up on so much more than we do.

We should let our pets have "say" in who their doctor is! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
freeatlast Collaborator

Gosh, I wish I could find a vet like that for my 3 yr. old Rocco. Just had him vaccinated with the whole gammet while thinking the whole time he didn't need any of those shots! I mean, he lives in our house and fenced in back yard. Why does he need rabies shots? The other shots I don't even know what they do or don't do. I do know he has mostly slept since taking him in Dec. for the shots. Not a good sign.

How on earth did you find your new vet who combines Eastern and Western medicine? Sound like a keeper to me :)

Archived