This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Kind Of Holiday Cookies Do You Make?

alex11602

alex11602 Collaborator

With all the baking and candy making for the holiday I was just curious what kinds of goodies everyone else made for the holidays?

So far I have made:

Peanut Butter cookies (it's always been a tradition to have these)

Gingersnaps (hubby always liked them, hope they turned out well for him)

Chocolate Chip cookies (youngest daughter's favorite cookie)

Thumbprint cookies with blackberry jam (my favorite cookie)

Chocolate covered cherries (fairly easy to make and these say Christmas to me since my mom always bought me a box for Christmas)

Candy Cane fudge (pretty gift for the family)

Peanut Butter fudge (another gift, my family loves peanut butter)

Pomegranate clusters (first time making them, but they looked so nice and festive when I saw the picture)

White chocolate snowflakes (I love candy molds...that might be why I have over 30 of them...so the family usually gets molded chocolate)

I also tried almond biscotti this year but the recipe was very bland so I will have to work on that one.

And I almost forgot our Christmas morning apple pie...we have always had cinnamon rolls, but with our food issues I asked my girls to pick something else with cinnamon for breakfast on Christmas morning and they came up with apple pie.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I make Buckeyes every year. They're so easy and everyone loves them!

Buckeyes

1 pound softened butter

2 pounds peanut butter

3 pounds sifted confec. sugar

Mix well and make about a MILLION balls. They don't really "roll" so you kind of have to push them into a ball shape and your hands are kind of like claws when you're finally done.

Melt chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler and dip the ball into the chocolate so that a little of the peanut butter shows at the top (hence the buckeye name. They look like a buckeye nut). Refrigerate the cookie tray with dipped balls. When firm, they can be put into containers or zip lock bags and frozen. I keep 'em in the fridge till I package them up and give them away.

This year I dipped the balls completely because I didn't like the tiny hole left in the buckeye by the dipping toothpick. Then I sprinkled a little crushed toffee on top.

The good thing about the recipe is that it can be halved or even quartered so it doesn't take all day!

sa1937 Community Regular

Actually I haven't made any but then I live alone and don't need all those cookies, etc. sitting around here tempting me. And I don't miss them. Hopefully my hips will thank me in January! :lol:

alex11602 Collaborator

Actually I haven't made any but then I live alone and don't need all those cookies, etc. sitting around here tempting me. And I don't miss them. Hopefully my hips will thank me in January! :lol:

I certainly don't need them either, but Santa needs cookies:) And we are going to my moms for dinner so I will once again share to show them that gluten free doesn't mean not good or completely changing traditions. I will probably have one thumbprint and if there are any cookies left I will freeze them.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I make Buckeyes every year. They're so easy and everyone loves them!

Buckeyes

1 pound softened butter

2 pounds peanut butter

3 pounds sifted confec. sugar

Mix well and make about a MILLION balls. They don't really "roll" so you kind of have to push them into a ball shape and your hands are kind of like claws when you're finally done.

Melt chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler and dip the ball into the chocolate so that a little of the peanut butter shows at the top (hence the buckeye name. They look like a buckeye nut). Refrigerate the cookie tray with dipped balls. When firm, they can be put into containers or zip lock bags and frozen. I keep 'em in the fridge till I package them up and give them away.

This year I dipped the balls completely because I didn't like the tiny hole left in the buckeye by the dipping toothpick. Then I sprinkled a little crushed toffee on top.

The good thing about the recipe is that it can be halved or even quartered so it doesn't take all day!

I am a buckeye addict. My SIL makes them but they moved so this year I'm making some. The key is SOME.

I'll eat them til I barf. Seriously.

alex11602 Collaborator

I am a buckeye addict. My SIL makes them but they moved so this year I'm making some. The key is SOME.

I'll eat them til I barf. Seriously.

I think I feel a bit deprived now...I have never had buckeyes!

love2travel Mentor

With all the baking and candy making for the holiday I was just curious what kinds of goodies everyone else made for the holidays?

So far I have made:

Chocolate covered cherries (fairly easy to make and these say Christmas to me since my mom always bought me a box for Christmas)

Pomegranate clusters (first time making them, but they looked so nice and festive when I saw the picture)

White chocolate snowflakes (I love candy molds...that might be why I have over 30 of them...so the family usually gets molded chocolate)

I also tried almond biscotti this year but the recipe was very bland so I will have to work on that one.

And I almost forgot our Christmas morning apple pie...we have always had cinnamon rolls, but with our food issues I asked my girls to pick something else with cinnamon for breakfast on Christmas morning and they came up with apple pie.

Awesome! You have been busy. Your baking sounds wonderful.

As I am trying to lose a bit of weight I have not done as much baking this year (just some shortbread, chocolate chip cookies, coconut lime layer cake, rosemary fleur de sel crackers, focaccia). However, for gifts and such I have made:

Bourbon Vanilla (simply scrape vanilla pods and add pods and seeds to bourbon and let sit a month)

Herbed jellies

Several salsas

Marinara and other tomato-based sauces

Chutneys

Roasted Rosemary Applesauce

Lemongrass simple syrup

Probably a few more but at the moment I cannot recall.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

Awesome! You have been busy. Your baking sounds wonderful.

As I am trying to lose a bit of weight I have not done as much baking this year (just some shortbread, chocolate chip cookies, coconut lime layer cake, rosemary fleur de sel crackers, focaccia). However, for gifts and such I have made:

Bourbon Vanilla (simply scrape vanilla pods and add pods and seeds to bourbon and let sit a month)

Herbed jellies

Several salsas

Marinara and other tomato-based sauces

Chutneys

Roasted Rosemary Applesauce

Lemongrass simple syrup

Probably a few more but at the moment I cannot recall.

Thank you! What you are making for gifts sounds delicious and I may have to put roasted rosemary applesauce on my to do list for the new year :)

dandt Newbie

I'm in Australia so cooking heaps at christmas time isn't really nice because it is jsut so damn hot! Despite this, and rather stupidly as the air conditioner is broken, I've decided to make gingerbread men. Made some last night but decided to try again today, this time with xanthan gum. Little nervous as I've never used it but it jsut wouldn't stick.

silk Contributor

So far I have made:

Wow! You are so ambitious! Can I come to your house?

I made cake lollies. I bake a yellow and a chocolate gluten-free cake mix. Crumbled each. Added a bit of orange juice to the yellow and a bit of marschino cherry juice to the chocolate. While molding them into small balls, I added a small piece of candied orange slice to the yellow and a marschino cherry to the chocolate and molded them into balls. Added a lolly stick to each one. Froze them and then dipped the orange ones into melted white almond bark and the chocolate ones into melted dark choco chips. They were amazing. My grandkids went crazy for them! I love it when we can come up with gluten-free stuff that is just as good or even better than the toxic stuff.

silk Contributor

Thank you! What you are making for gifts sounds delicious and I may have to put roasted rosemary applesauce on my to do list for the new year :)

Would love to know what you do with the lemongrass simple syrup and if you would be interested in sharing your recipe for the coconut lime layered cake and the foccacia. They all sound so wonderful!

alex11602 Collaborator

Wow! You are so ambitious! Can I come to your house?

Sure you can! And I'm not sure it's ambition so much as relaxation. I love cooking and baking! It is so relaxing for me and now I have my 5 year old helping me out in the kitchen.

Archived