This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mother Nature's Gift To Women

maximoo

maximoo Enthusiast

For xmas DD got a gift from Mother Nature her 1st period! She is almost 14 so the timing is normal however she is barely 4'10. I was hoping she wouldn't get it yet so she could grow some more. She's been gluten-free since jun. Anyway I've heard that a girl's window of growth will close 2 yrs after her first cycle & on avg will not grow more than another 2-3 inches after the first onset.

I am 5'5 1/2 her father is 5'4. Both grndmthrs 5'2 & great grndmother 4'9. I guess it is reasonable to estimate she will grow to 5 or 5'1 at the most. 1 yr ago her bone age scan was age 10. We are going to do another one in Jan. She has a physical set for 1/16.

What do you guys think? Will she continue to grow slowly from now on or do girls typically have another growth spurt after her first menarche? If I remember correctly I grew a few inches the summer after I first got mine some 30+ yrs ago.( But my memory may be flawed. )

Of course everyone is different but just wanted to know about other women's experience/knowledge who are celiac.

so chime in ladies!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

For xmas DD got a gift from Mother Nature her 1st period! She is almost 14 so the timing is normal however she is barely 4'10. I was hoping she wouldn't get it yet so she could grow some more. She's been gluten-free since jun. Anyway I've heard that a girl's window of growth will close 2 yrs after her first cycle & on avg will not grow more than another 2-3 inches after the first onset.

I am 5'5 1/2 her father is 5'4. Both grndmthrs 5'2 & great grndmother 4'9. I guess it is reasonable to estimate she will grow to 5 or 5'1 at the most. 1 yr ago her bone age scan was age 10. We are going to do another one in Jan. She has a physical set for 1/16.

What do you guys think? Will she continue to grow slowly from now on or do girls typically have another growth spurt after her first menarche? If I remember correctly I grew a few inches the summer after I first got mine some 30+ yrs ago.( But my memory may be flawed. )

Of course everyone is different but just wanted to know about other women's experience/knowledge who are celiac.

so chime in ladies!

Wow, that's very interesting to me. I'm very tall (6') and was a late "bloomer". My mother had our doctor put me on BC pills to start my period when I was 16. I descend from tall parents though, mother (the carrier) was 5'10 and father was 6'. They had two sons 6', 6'6", and 3 daughters 5'10, 5'8 and 6'. So far I'm the only one with gluten issues, but I think one of my great nieces could have it.

I remember being amazed at high school graduation that a few of the boys had grown to my height without me noticing it. I don't think I grew much after 16, and just always figured girls get their growth early but boys continue to grow until they're 18.

I know I was 6' tall at 16 years old, and diddn't grow anymore after that, but never connected it with the cycle.

My niece started at 13 though, and I think she grew a few more inches after that. She's tall too.

Juliebove Rising Star

I had not heard that. My daughter is 5' 6" and has been for a while. She got her first one last month. Her dad is 5'5" and I am just over 5' 7".

maximoo Enthusiast

@Marilyn did you grow to 6 ft after you were put on BC (whats BC anyway?) or were you 6ft already & didn't grow anymore?

@ Julie Yeah, the endocrinologist told me that a girl has two years left to grow once her cycle begins.

Regarding boys pediatrician told me it depends on what stage of puberty they are in. Late bloomers can continue to grow beyond age 18. its not the age its the stage.

I am just hoping DD would make it to 5'2 but she may not.

ljgs Explorer

Maximoo, if your daughter has only been gluten-free for six months, there's a good chance that eating gluten all those years affected her nutritional absorption and is the reason she is still petite. Now that her body is absorbing nutrients, she may catch up in height. On the other hand, her father is quite short and so she may very well top out just over five feet. But that's okay!!!!!!

frieze Community Regular

"old rule of thumb" for girls, take father's ht. and subtract 5-7 inches. Boys, the opposite. In you case she is doing better than that already. of course, if dad is a celiac, then that rule wouldn't apply if she were gluten free. How tall are dad's sibs, if he has any?

maximoo Enthusiast

@igs DD grew normally till age 10/11 then stopped growing so I believe her celiac got turned on between that time. She grew almost 3 inches since going gluten-free but is still way smaller than her peers. Some 13 yo girls look like grown women! --with nasty perverted men coming on to them (EWWW!) She stilI looks like a little girl & that's quite fine with me.

@frieze dad not celiac & he has half sibs-different fathers so not too much info there tho his father was short too. She is already taller than her great grnd mthr who was only 4'9 I suspect the celiac would be on her side of the fam. However she's been long dead & there's no way to ever find out

I really am curious about other women's experiences as far as if they grew a little or alot after their 1st cycle began.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

@Marilyn did you grow to 6 ft after you were put on BC (whats BC anyway?) or were you 6ft already & didn't grow anymore?

@ Julie Yeah, the endocrinologist told me that a girl has two years left to grow once her cycle begins.

Regarding boys pediatrician told me it depends on what stage of puberty they are in. Late bloomers can continue to grow beyond age 18. its not the age its the stage.

I am just hoping DD would make it to 5'2 but she may not.

Sorry, BC = Birth Control Pills. It is likely that I grew an inch or two after the age of 16, I just remember always being the tallest in my class until a few of the guys caught up with me in 12th grade. (Trying to remember 40 years ago... not sure I'm providing accurate information! Sorry :)

• 2 weeks later...
Chalula88 Apprentice

I hit puberty at 12 and had pretty widely and unevenly spaced periods for about 2 years. I was about 5'1"-5'2" and 112 pounds at 12 and now at 21, I am about 5'3" and 105 pounds. I didn't know I was Celiac until I was 19, so I missed any chance at growing bigger. I never really *ahem* "developed", only sports bras are tiny enough and I pretty much look like an 11 year old (physically and facially).

My doctor thinks I should have been taller, but the Celiac stunted my growth. I have really big hands and feet, which she said is a good sign I was meant to be taller. ha ha.

upwitht21 Rookie

I grew 2 inches after high school while I was going through basic training lol! I stared mine around 12 so that growth was amazing perk for me.

Jess

maximoo Enthusiast

thx for your replies ladies I think the majority of girls are done growing by age 16 but of course there are exceptions. Glad to hear you got 2 more inches after hs Gonna get another bone age xray in a few weeks to see where she stands.

DD's hands are small & just got into a size 6 shoe--maybe she'll get to a 6.5. My mother who was 5'2 wore a 5.5 so we tend to have smaller feet. I'm a true 7 but often wear 7.5 & I'm 5'5.5 & boy are they wide :blink:

auzzi Newbie

2x DD are coeliac and both are 6-foot tall

Archived