This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Muti Vitamins

Tigercat17

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

HI Everyone,

Well, this is my extension from the previous post about vitamin D.. :D

Does anyone have any recommendations for multi vitamins? I was checking out the Bluebonnet vitamins and I seen a lot of the multi's have soybeans in them. This is one brand I haven't tried yet. But, I can eat soy once in a while. I'm not sure if it's something I can have every day. I was also looking into Freeda vitamins and Kirkland. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these?

I feel like I'm crazy and I'm the only one that can't tolerate a lot of vitamins even if they are gluten free. I used to take them all the time. I also have trouble with a lot of supposedly gluten free processed foods. It's really frustrating.

I know I just got glutened two days ago at my aunts house and I even brought my own meal, but I still got glutened some how. I'm just so sensitive... <_<

Here are the brands I had problems with: ( I'm not sure if all of them was from CC. It might be from other food allergies, but so far I haven't been able to confirm anything other than gluten. I think I'm just super sensitive..)

* GNC Womens Multi

Nature Made Multi

Country Life Muti & Calcium & D

Rainbow light Calcium & D

Whole foods Muti & Vitamin D

* Vitafusion Calcium & D

* These are the ones I got extremely sick for four months. The doctors thought I had lymphoma and I had to have lymph nodes removed. Everything was negative and it was just the celiac disease. As soon as I stopped the vitamins I got better.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciamarie Rookie

In my research on MSG, I discovered that one of the alias' is gelatin. A lot of supplements use a gelatin capsule -- though the binders in tablets may cause issues also. I have some Country Life Daily Total One vitamins that don't have a gelatin cap, but some of my other supplements do. Right now I've eliminated all supplements for a few days, and I'm going to try the one mentioned above and wait a day or 2 to see how I react.

It's a work in progress, I'm not sure whether the gelatin caps are even an issue for me, but I thought I'd throw out the possibility -- especially if you're sensitive to excitotoxins (aspartame and msg), as I am.

Jestgar Rising Star

In my research on MSG, I discovered that one of the alias' is gelatin.

Gelatin contains glutamic acid, not monosodium glutamate. They are very different.

ciamarie Rookie

Gelatin contains glutamic acid, not monosodium glutamate. They are very different.

Most of what I've seen says otherwise. Here are some links:

At one Open Original Shared Link the first part of the answer is quoted below, but the whole article has some interesting info:

Most gelatin contains a tiny amount of MSG (monosodium glutamate), which is the sodium salt of glutamic acid (an amino acid). MSG is a flavor enhancer and is sometimes called an "excitogen".

However, on this Open Original Shared Link it says that some of theirs, at any rate, is derived from collagen and is bound glutamic acid and not free glutamates. They also have a hydrolyzed product that does have a higher percent of free glutamic acid as compared to their non-hydrolyzed product. 0.09% vs 0.01%, so imho if one is sensitive it's best avoided when possible.

Jestgar Rising Star

Your first link just makes a statement without any supporting evidence. All gelatin is made from collagen. Open Original Shared Link

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

For my multi, I use Formula VM-75 by Solgar. The one I use is also iron free since I no longer need iron, but they have one that includes iron as well. This supplement is gluten free and soy free. I also use many other supplements by Bluebonnet that are soy free/gluten free but was unable to find a multi by them. Bluebonnet is one of my favorite brands for my supplements.

TeknoLen Rookie

My multivitamin (and my B-complex) is DC Labs brand gluten-free tablets (the size of horse pills). I think it is CF and SF also but I do not have bottle here with me as I write this. It was recommended by a friend's gluten-free nutritionist and I am told she checks these things out very thoroughly (although I have never met her). I have been taking these about a month and have noticed no ill-effects. Please be careful, I know you will be and good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I should add that I am not sure if I am super-sensitive or not. I still have issues after 4 years, but not sure if it is due to gluten.

salexander421 Enthusiast

Check out www.supernutritionusa.com and see if theirs would work for you. I took their Simply One Prenatal and didn't seem to have any issues with it. It states that it "contains no gluten, wheat, yeast, buckwheat, sugar, pollen, dairy, corn or soy residues or any hidden additives.

IrishHeart Veteran

Lisa,

I use NOW brand vitamins.

I spoke with the company and they assured me no gluten, dairy, soy, etc.

Because my sweet hubs is a chemist, just for fun, he wanted to try those Gluten Test kits on my various vitamins & supplements--since those are the only things I take ingest regularly from a package that would have me wondering about the CC issue.

If it makes you feel any better, the ones we tested were all clear--- they were non- detectable to a level of 5 ppm--according to the test kit. (For what that's worth)

I feel comfortable using them and I have not noticed a reaction and I usually react strongly to trace CC.

It is my understanding that if a vitamin has soy lecithin in the glaze, it should not bother you if you have a soy protein intolerance.(as I do)

Just a suggestion!

Cheers,

IH

T.H. Community Regular

Country Life, LLC is one of the few companies that makes vitamin supplements and is certified by the GFCO. Their products have to meet a <10 ppm standard to be certified. They do make a multi-vitamin:

Open Original Shared Link

If you go to the GFCO's certification website, you can look up all the companies that are certified by them, by category. There's a few other companies in the supplements category that might also be of use, although the above one seemed the most likely to have what you were looking for.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Lisa,

I use NOW brand vitamins.

I spoke with the company and they assured me no gluten, dairy, soy, etc.

Because my sweet hubs is a chemist, just for fun, he wanted to try those Gluten Test kits on my various vitamins & supplements--since those are the only things I take ingest regularly from a package that would have me wondering about the CC issue.

If it makes you feel any better, the ones we tested were all clear--- they were non- detectable to a level of 5 ppm--according to the test kit. (For what that's worth)

I feel comfortable using them and I have not noticed a reaction and I usually react strongly to trace CC.

It is my understanding that if a vitamin has soy lecithin in the glaze, it should not bother you if you have a soy protein intolerance.(as I do)

Just a suggestion!

Cheers,

IH

Thanks Irishheart! I already ordered some vitamins from Kirkman Labs a week ago and got them in the mail already. I think I'm going to start the Kirkman Lab vitamins tonight and then if I have any reactions I'll stop them and try the Now brand. But I do know I really need something. My energy is so low right now. I'm not sure if it's just because of the low vitamin D level I have right now, but it's just so hard for me to get motivated. It's so not like me. I think I'll look for the Now brand for Calcium & vitamin D, too. This is such great information.I really love how you & your hubby tested these vitamins - great idea! I was thinking about doing the same thing. :)

And thanks so much for the birthday wishes! You're so kind! Thank-you!!! :)

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Country Life, LLC is one of the few companies that makes vitamin supplements and is certified by the GFCO. Their products have to meet a <10 ppm standard to be certified. They do make a multi-vitamin:

If you go to the GFCO's certification website, you can look up all the companies that are certified by them, by category. There's a few other companies in the supplements category that might also be of use, although the above one seemed the most likely to have what you were looking for.

Thanks for the info Shauna!

I did have problems with Country Life vitamins last year and I had to stop them. I'm not sure if it was CC or something else, but I kept having a sore throat from them and when I stopped them my sore throat went away after three days of taking them. But now you got me thinking...I was taking other vitamins too, so I'm not 100% sure. Then when I was shopping for more vitamins I seen on one of their multi vitamins it said barley grass in ingredients and it said "certified gluten free." I couldn't believe it. I've been so afraid to buy anymore from Country Life after seeing that label. I've really lost faith in a lot of these companies. :unsure:

Are you taking these vitamins without any problems? Thanks Shauna! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

And thanks so much for the birthday wishes! You're so kind! Thank-you!!! :)

You bet! I happened to look and see your B day was listed on the main forum page on the bottom and I thought I'd send you some happy wishes. Glad to see you are feeling well--your posts were so encouraging to me when I was a newbie! :) Cheers, IH

Joe0123 Contributor

I used to take the Kirkman Labs multivitamin and never had any problems with it. I believe they are safe for super sensitives.

• 4 weeks later...
abaker521 Rookie

This is great info! I've gotten sick off of Rainbow Light and New Chapter Prenatal vitamins. Does anyone recommend a good prenatal vitamin for a super sensitive? I'm still looking for one I can tolerate..

IrishHeart Veteran

This is great info! I've gotten sick off of Rainbow Light and New Chapter Prenatal vitamins. Does anyone recommend a good prenatal vitamin for a super sensitive? I'm still looking for one I can tolerate..

The Rainbow Light veggie-based vits--including the pre-natal ones-- have so many "extras" in them (spirulina, digestive enzymes, lacto probiotics, etc.) that it is possible that was what was making you sick. I had the same reaction to them. And I had the exact same reaction when I tried ANY vitamins with the spirulina, etc. in them and they were all certified gluten-free--even ones made especially for celiacs. I was disappointed to feel so yucky from ones I knew would be safe, yet they did.

It's not always "hidden gluten" that upsets our stomachs.

Another thing that can make you feel sick is iron. Unless you need an iron supplement, avoid it in your vitamins.

It is possible for other foods and supplements to make us feel wonky (and not necessarily hidden traces of gluten). As always, if something makes you feel sick, of course, don't take it.

Hope you find one you can take without issues.

And congratulations. :)

abaker521 Rookie

This is very true IrishHeart! I can tolerate my vitamin D3 supplement just fine.. but when you start mixing in tons of other things I just can't tolerate it. I know I'm still in serious healing mode so I'm trying to be extra careful, but at the same time I want to make sure my body is getting all the nutrients it needs (especially since we really want to try for a baby in a few months). My doctor also recommend that I take the probiotic Align, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how I'll react. It's scary sometimes to realize how sensitive and complex our bodies can be! :huh:

IrishHeart Veteran

This is very true IrishHeart! I can tolerate my vitamin D3 supplement just fine.. but when you start mixing in tons of other things I just can't tolerate it. I know I'm still in serious healing mode so I'm trying to be extra careful, but at the same time I want to make sure my body is getting all the nutrients it needs (especially since we really want to try for a baby in a few months). My doctor also recommend that I take the probiotic Align, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how I'll react. It's scary sometimes to realize how sensitive and complex our bodies can be! :huh:

oops...I said "Congrats" because you mentioned prenatal vitamins. :lol: I thought you were already there.

Make sure you are healed for several months before you start trying. Your body needs to be in optimal health for pregnancy. IMHO

Too many of us had multiple miscarriages because of unDXed celiac disease. Me included. :(

Oh sweetie, DEFINITELY take the probiotics!! They are necessary for celiac guts! Choose a dairy free one, like Culturelle. I do not know much about Align, but your doc is right--you need probiotics ( and I never say that about doctors :lol: )

Do not be alarmed if you have some weird BMs as your body adjusts. It will pass (no pun intended)

Here is why you need them:

Best wishes to you! In a few months, please ! PM me and tell me the good news !! ;)

elizabethh Newbie

I take Slice of Life Multi+. They're gummies and taste wonderful which is great if you have a hard time swallowing horse pills like I do. Take two a day and the container lasts a month. I notice a big difference when taking them, I feel much better. I have been taking them for about 5ish months and so far they're great. I get them at my health food store, this is what they look like:

• 1 month later...
EmmaCo Newbie

Have you been successful in finding one yet? I'm in the same position as you. I got sick after being on Rainbow Light only 4 days!! It took a week to recover from that. :( Please share which vitamin you have been ok on. I am planning on getting pregnant and I don't want to go throught the "trial and error" while pregnant.

Good Luck to you!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I don't take any vitamins, but I did try hard to find one. I made a lot of phone calls and asked a lot of questions and did a lot of elimination/trial diets. The best ones seemed to be Freeda. You could give those a try.

Archived