This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Have To Take Gluten

UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

I have meniere's joy.

The attacks of vertigo can write me off for up to 5 hours and I have migraines afterwards.

Low salt diet does nothing, Serc does nothing.

Stemetil seems to help, lower the tinnitus volume AND stop or prevent dizziness.

Stemetil has gluten and I am Coeliac.

Stemetil comes in a 5mg tablet would it really be that bad if I popped it every so often sometimes twice in tow days sometimes not for months? I have to take stemetil if it works.

Imagine yourself stuck a train station knowing if you stand up your will almost certainly topple over in peak hour :| Yes I definitely have to have stemetil, any thoughts? If rest of diet is strict?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

You can try taking the prescription to a compounding pharmacy to see if they can make it up for you without gluten.

electrochel Newbie

Try Dapsone, its much better

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Previous poster gave good advice. You could also talk to the pharmacist and see if there is another med that might be suitable. Be sure this is not gluten ataxia before you take the med as if you actually have ataxia the med may make it worse.

Chiana Apprentice

Good suggetions above.

Have you tried a *high salt* diet? I'm serious - give it a try. I'm assuming you've gotten your b12 levels tested already?

• 3 weeks later...
UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

thanks for replies not sure I have the money for specially made medicine and dont think they even do that, if i have to wait 6 months to see an ear doctor i somehow doubt my medicine will be specialy made.

ATM my diet is gluten free and I am popping a stemetil once a week at the end of the day vertigo is utterly crippling and coeliac for the moment I am aymptomatic so i guess in this case It is wise for me to rob peter to pay paul!

Im hoping the trace amounts and so low it does nothing

frieze Community Regular

I have meniere's joy.

The attacks of vertigo can write me off for up to 5 hours and I have migraines afterwards.

Low salt diet does nothing, Serc does nothing.

Stemetil seems to help, lower the tinnitus volume AND stop or prevent dizziness.

Stemetil has gluten and I am Coeliac.

Stemetil comes in a 5mg tablet would it really be that bad if I popped it every so often sometimes twice in tow days sometimes not for months? I have to take stemetil if it works.

Imagine yourself stuck a train station knowing if you stand up your will almost certainly topple over in peak hour :| Yes I definitely have to have stemetil, any thoughts? If rest of diet is strict?

It apparently comes in different forms, ie liquid, suppository, tablet....do all forms contain gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

thanks for replies not sure I have the money for specially made medicine and dont think they even do that, if i have to wait 6 months to see an ear doctor i somehow doubt my medicine will be specialy made.

ATM my diet is gluten free and I am popping a stemetil once a week at the end of the day vertigo is utterly crippling and coeliac for the moment I am aymptomatic so i guess in this case It is wise for me to rob peter to pay paul!

Im hoping the trace amounts and so low it does nothing

I noticed the way you spell celiac. Are you in Europe? IF you are be careful that you are not consuming gluten free items that are made with Codex Wheat Starch. Gluten Ataxia should be ruled out as the symptoms are similiar and those of us that have it can be very sensitive to even trace amounts of gluten.

grayangel Newbie

Obviously this will depend on what country you are in, but Stemetil is a brand name for prochlorperazine. At least in the US/Canada, prochlorperazine is also available as brand names Apo-Prochlorperazine, Compazine, Compro, and Nu-Prochlor. It may also be available as a generic. Any of these forms would contain the same active medication but may have different inactive ingredients (i.e. gluten). I realize the gluten content of medications is difficult to discern, but a different brand might be worth checking into with your doctor or pharmacist.

mushroom Proficient

I am a Kiwi and I just checked Pharmac's schedule (which usually pretty closely follows Oz). They list only Stemetil too.:( They do not take coeliac disease into account when choosing medications to list - only price.

hexon Rookie

I am a Kiwi and I just checked Pharmac's schedule (which usually pretty closely follows Oz). They list only Stemetil too.:( They do not take coeliac disease into account when choosing medications to list - only price.

This may be a stretch but clonazepam (brand name Klonpin) has been shown to treat vertigo (off-label) at low doses. So you could try to get your doctor to prescribe it for anxiety if that is covered.

auzzi Newbie
They list only Stemetil too. They do not take coeliac disease into account when choosing medications to list - only price.

Although Stemil tablets are gluten, both Stemil injections and suppositories are gluten free. Both were prescribed for my coeliac to stop vomiting and nausea, but she went with Pramin which is gluten-free. All types of Stemil are on PBS.

Pramin contains the active ingredient metoclopramide hydrochloride which does an excellent job preventing vomiting and nausea. $5-$10 for 25 on PBS or private prescription.

Archived