This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pls Tell Me Your Favorite gluten-free Products!

Aly1

Aly1 Contributor

I don't know if I'll even get a reply to this one because I'm so sensitive right now that maybe there just isn't anything out there that's processed that I can have! I eat mostly whole foods but need some processed stuff to fill in the gaps. I'm relatively new to gluten-free and am discovering I am sensitive to so many things. I want to find flours (I already have some leads there), muffin mixes, anything that would make either a great breakfast food or snack food to add in between meals (trying to gain weight).

Problem is I also have issues with:

Oats cc

Eggs

Corn

almonds (maybe all tree nuts? I am not up to challenging those yet to see)

Sugar / sweeteners

I am also avoiding dairy though my only "reaction" is to get very bumpy on the backs of my arms. So I am a little flexible on that one.)

I thought maybe here on the Sensitive board some of you might know some tried-and-true gluten-free products I could try. If there are any, given my list above! I am tired of picking products that end up making me sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I'm sorry I can't help you there. I go whole foods all the way. You can make your own snack foods. I make potato and greens chips with the food dehydrator, for example. It also helps to cook extra and freeze so that you can thaw and eat when you are in a hurry.

I wish you luck though.

sa1937 Community Regular

Aly, when you're new to eating gluten-free, you can react to most anything and everything. I don't know that it's because you're super-sensitive though. At 18-months gluten-free, I was still having problems and could never pinpoint what I was reacting to.

At that point IrishHeart suggested I start taking a probiotic (specifically Culturelle) and it's helped tremendously. Now I'm doing great. I figure I was still healing and it does take quite awhile for some of us (I was diagnosed at an older age and that may make a difference). Every now and then I will have a problem...but then even people without celiac do. We just spend time trying to figure out what zaps us and maybe there is no one answer to that.

I pretty much eliminated dairy products right away, which were much harder to give up than gluten. When I was gluten-free for 9 months, I started slowly adding in some hard cheeses and am now doing well with dairy products.

You're best right now to stick to a whole foods diet and skip searching for processed gluten-free products. What works for one person may not work for another. That's probably not the answer you want to hear, but this is a case where one size does not fit all. Hope this helps a bit.

Aly1 Contributor

No, that's not the answer i wanted to hear, I want quick easy nutritious gluten-free foods that I enjoy eating. :) But I appreciate the replies.

I will get a probiotic, it can only help! Thanks

IrishHeart Veteran

Nutritious gluten free foods are meats, veggies, fruits, seafood, nuts, eggs, cheese (if you can tolerate it).

If you mean you want some GOODIES, that's a different story. :)

CHEBE mixes are free of most everything that could bother you right now. :)

I think it was MarilynR and Kareng who suggested this brand to me as I do not normally eat prepared foods but I wanted SOMETHING quick to prepare one day.

Enjoy Life Brand is free of the top 8 allergens.

Google "allergy free dedicated bakeries" and see what you find.

In the beginning, though, a whole foods diet is best for healing the gut and seeing how you feel.

And yes, a probiotic is very helpful for a celiac gut. :)

Best wishes!

cahill Collaborator

Sorry I wont be much help either :(

The only prepared products I eat are Udi's bread on occasion,Hot Kid rice crisps (I GOT to have crackers).

Every thing else I make my self.It is safer that way ,and it tastes better :)

If you are going with prepared products, I agree with Irishheart, go with Enjoy Life products.

mushroom Proficient

Rice chex or crispies and almond milk with fruit for breakfast.

Some sliced swiss cheese and make cheese roll-ups with lettuce, and your favourite veggies tucked inside for lunch.

Grated parmesan cheese "crackers"(yeah, you do have to make thse yourself) or try Mary's Gone Crackers (oh, wait, think they have nuts)

Gosh, it's only been four months and I have forgoten everything :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

One more thing...try So Delicious Coconut milk and Ice Creams.

tasty alternatives to dairy. :)

T.H. Community Regular

Okay, a few junk foods, heh.

My daughter seems to be able to tolerate Kettle brand salt and vinegar potato chips. That flavor does have citric acid (which can be a corn cc issue if you are really, really sensitive), but if you can tolerate citric acid, it's pretty good. It's one of the only flavors that doesn't have sugar cane or sweeteners added or dairy.

Another thing you might enjoy is popped sorghum. It tastes like popcorn but it's about a third the size. There is a farm called Twin Valley Mills that sells whole grain sorghum (you have to google them and then contact by email, as they only sell the flour on the website). They sell in bulk, but the price is very good.

We would just pop it in the microwave in a microwave popper. Pops in like half the time that popcorn would. Nice snack, and pretty nutritious. And you could grind your own flour from it, if you like.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

There is a farm called Twin Valley Mills that sells whole grain sorghum (you have to google them and then contact by email, as they only sell the flour on the website). They sell in bulk, but the price is very good.

They sell whole grain sorghum online. Click on express order form:

Open Original Shared Link

shayre Enthusiast

If you feel that you must have processed foods, then I would recommend looking at labels for Enjoy Life, Lundberg, Kinnikinnick, Namaste and Gluten Free 123. I buy them for baked goods and chocolate. I am very sensitive, and they are the only ones that I don't react to from cross-contamination. I am ok with a little bloating sometimes from other ingredients, but that just gets better with time. Probiotics....can't live without them! I use Metagenics that they sell at my docs office. These food companies test to 5ppm for gluten. I know that gluten-free 123 will provide you with egg alternatives too. I buy these products from Whole Foods and Kroger, but I'm sure that they are also online. I was also very sensitive to corn, and I'm just now starting to tolerate it better. I used to get a rash or boils after eating it...and severe gut upset. Now upset is minimal and no rash or boils. I still react to Udi's, Rudi's, Glutino...etc...they test to 10ppm. I definitely react to any company like Amy's or Food for life...just awful for me. Just pay attention to that if you can. I had to be really clean with my diet, and then gluten myself on purpose a couple of times to figure out what my reaction time is...so then I could figure out what I eat that glutens me on accident. I now know that my reaction time is about 2 1/2-3 days, and the usual series of symptoms follow, with day 4 being the worst. Now when I try a new product...if I get gluten symptoms 3 days later...I can identify it. I am mostly meat and veggies now too, but I still feel the need for carbs to fill in the blanks. I use Lundberg rice cakes for a snack with Peanut Butter and Jelly. I have begun to tolerate Kinnikinnick bread with moderation. Potato starch in anything gives me pain issues, so I have to be moderate with potato starches in baking mixes. I cannot tolerate potatoes straight. Gluten Free 123 has a pan bar mix that is my favorite with added pumpkin from Libby's. Kinnikinnick doghnuts are also a favorite. I eat the Enjoy life dark chocolate, as the other chocolates give me bloating (rice milk). I sometimes eat their cookies too. I have only tried Namaste's cookie mix, but i like it and have begun to experiment with it. Strangly...I don't think that I react to gluten-free bisquik pancake mix, so that can be used for pancakes, breading, thickening or flour. If you are less sensitive, then you might tolerate more companies as well. Also Bob's Red Mill and Nature's Path get me good...and they test at 20ppm.

IrishHeart Veteran

Also Bob's Red Mill ... they test at 20ppm.

They do??!! How were they tested? I am really curious--- because my husband tested them with a home kit (he is a chemist and curious by nature :) )--- it tests down to 5ppm. Nothing showed.

Or.... did you mean the company testing policies?

Thanks for clarifying :)... for the Newbies among us.

I agree with you about Amy's--ugh! :)

Gemini Experienced

They do??!! How were they tested? I am really curious--- because my husband tested them with a home kit (he is a chemist and curious by nature :) )--- it tests down to 5ppm. Nothing showed.

Or.... did you mean the company testing policies?

Thanks for clarifying :)... for the Newbies among us.

I agree with you about Amy's--ugh! :)

Bob's Red Mill allows no more than 19ppm, according to their website, but as they are a dedicated facility and go to great lengths to ensure their oats are not cc'd, the 5ppm is probably more in line with what they produce. Just because a company tests to a certain standard, does not mean that amount of gluten exists on a regular basis in their product. I am very sensitive and know many other very sensitive Celiacs who tolerate Bob's products well.

It could be the cross reaction with oats that give people a problem, not gluten.

Aly1 Contributor

There have been some *great* responses and I am glad to have some confirmed safe options to try. I do want to eat a mostly unprocessed diet and do - but I find that while I'm fine for lunch and dinner, breakfast time and snacks are hardest. Since I first posted this we have successfully made muffins which I enjoy for breakfast (successfully means, finally after many attempts I have not reacted to any of the ingredients!). I've stopped losing weight and am staying where I'm at so I'll still need to try your various recommendations to add more calories :).

And omg I am so excited to try popped sorghum! Hubby and I always ate popcorn on movie night and it's sorely missed since I discovered my corn problem. So big YAY on that one :). Thanks again everyone!

Gemini Experienced

There have been some *great* responses and I am glad to have some confirmed safe options to try. I do want to eat a mostly unprocessed diet and do - but I find that while I'm fine for lunch and dinner, breakfast time and snacks are hardest. Since I first posted this we have successfully made muffins which I enjoy for breakfast (successfully means, finally after many attempts I have not reacted to any of the ingredients!). I've stopped losing weight and am staying where I'm at so I'll still need to try your various recommendations to add more calories :).

And omg I am so excited to try popped sorghum! Hubby and I always ate popcorn on movie night and it's sorely missed since I discovered my corn problem. So big YAY on that one :). Thanks again everyone!

It is not mandatory for you to eat a 100% whole foods diet initially when diagnosed. I was as sick as sick gets with this disease at diagnosis and weighed 97 pounds, soaking wet. I always ate a lot of unprocessed foods and continued to do so after diagnosis but I needed to gain weight. You don't gain weight easily on a whole foods diet. So I ate gluten-free bread and tolerated it well...it was like I was always supposed to eat that way. After a few weeks, I made some gluten-free brownies and tolerated those well also. I admit I am a fast healer and the only other intolerance I have is dairy.

If you want to try something, go ahead and try it. If it doesn't agree with you, then don't eat it again for awhile. Whatever you do, do not fear food.

There's too much of that going around. If something does not agree with you, it isn't always because of gluten. Just try and stick to dedicated facilities at first until you start feeling better. You will find that you have to eat calorie dense foods or you won't gain weight easily and those aren't the unprocessed ones! Nothing wrong with a good gluten-free brownie! Enjoy!

shayre Enthusiast

It is not mandatory for you to eat a 100% whole foods diet initially when diagnosed. I was as sick as sick gets with this disease at diagnosis and weighed 97 pounds, soaking wet. I always ate a lot of unprocessed foods and continued to do so after diagnosis but I needed to gain weight. You don't gain weight easily on a whole foods diet. So I ate gluten-free bread and tolerated it well...it was like I was always supposed to eat that way. After a few weeks, I made some gluten-free brownies and tolerated those well also. I admit I am a fast healer and the only other intolerance I have is dairy.

If you want to try something, go ahead and try it. If it doesn't agree with you, then don't eat it again for awhile. Whatever you do, do not fear food.

There's too much of that going around. If something does not agree with you, it isn't always because of gluten. Just try and stick to dedicated facilities at first until you start feeling better. You will find that you have to eat calorie dense foods or you won't gain weight easily and those aren't the unprocessed ones! Nothing wrong with a good gluten-free brownie! Enjoy!

I agree, I did just make gluten free brownies from Better Crocker for my hubby's bday. While I had some gut upset...I did not get glutened. Hurray! Yeah, Bob's Red Mill...I don't know why...buy I steadily go downhill on anything that they make. Nature's Path seemed ok sometimes, but then I think that it depends on the batch for me. They only test to 20ppm. I also agree that company testing doesn't mean that there is that much in it, but I still have to "play it very safe". I don't want to get "whammied" with random batches...and I definitely have. Good luck to you:)

TeknoLen Rookie

If you include cutting up celery and carrots into sticks as "processed", then those can be very convenient and portable snacks. Celery is good also because it is one of the more alkalinizing vegetables. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds are good snacks also if you can tolerate them...

Aly1 Contributor

I do nibble on celery & carrots but those won't help me gain weight. I am currently avoiding nuts & seeds as I seem to react to them right now...

IrishHeart Veteran

I do nibble on celery & carrots but those won't help me gain weight. I am currently avoiding nuts & seeds as I seem to react to them right now...

Get some Pamela's baking mixes (hers is a dedicated factory) and buy some Enjoy Life chocolate chips and make some cookies or muffins.

(Use an egg substitute if you can't do the eggs.)

There are substitutes for most everything in baking, so if you get stuck, we can help! :)

Aly1 Contributor

Thanks Irishheart :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks Irishheart :)

You bet, hon. :)

It was the good people like GEMINI and RAVENWOODGLASS and SYLVIA and PSAWYER and KARENG among others--who told me in the beginning that it was okay to try safe, gluten-free packaged stuff, too--along with my mostly pure, whole foods diet-- as I was healing. I was so emaciated and had lost major muscle mass and seemingly everything made me feel sick for the LONGEST time after DX :( and I worried if I would ever tolerate anything ever again. (I was a slow healer--but I am older than you and I was sick for a long time.)

I always tell the newly DXed--do not fear food. :) If something does not agree with you, avoid it for a while and come back to it.

Healing takes time, but you'll get there. I promise!

Cheers, IH

norcal-gf Newbie

I love many of the gluten-free snacks from Glutino - my favorite is the Yogurt Covered Pretzels! Yum. Also love their Table Crackers (like a saltine cracker). I tried Amy's Mac & Cheese recently and I had a horrible reaction - never again! Something in the artificial cheese - I usually make everything from scratch - but the one time I got lazy and ate something out of a box - and it got me good. I also like Pam's mixes - especially her corn bread one - I make a mexican casserole with it. And Pam's cookies are pretty good... but that's about all the gluten-free snacks I buy - I try to make my own or be good and eat fruit or make a smoothie.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I cannot do nuts or soy and I try to stay away from corn. Although, I can eat some home made popcorn without problems.

I was whole foods for over 6 months and started adding a few things in two months ago.

My lasted find and love is Crunchmasters 7th Ancient Grain Cracker!!!! No nuts, soy or corn! The lightly salted is also dairy free.

My junk food of choice is CapeCod Kettle chips, they have gluten-free listed on the bag and I've never had a problem with the regular chips or salt and vinegar. I love them with humus!

I don't eat much gluten-free replacement foods Udi hotdog buns and these crackers.

IrishHeart Veteran

My junk food of choice is CapeCod Kettle chips, they have gluten-free listed on the bag and I've never had a problem with the regular chips or salt and vinegar.

mmmm.. I admit it---I like the Cape Codders too!:)

Forgot to mention those!

That is all they make in that little factory, so I feel pretty confident they are about as gluten-free as it gets!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

mmmm.. I admit it---I like the Cape Codders too!:)

Forgot to mention those!

That is all they make in that little factory, so I feel pretty confident they are about as gluten-free as it gets!

I like the chips way too much IrishHeart! :)

Archived