This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dangers Of Asprin

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

German gentleman old me today that asprin is going to "prescription only" in Germany, law to be passed soon. Thought it sounded a little crazy but know how health conscience the Germans are so I looked it up. Once you read this you may never want to take another asprin again: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

While I don't find the citations and the text you provided particularly persuasive, I am with you on not popping aspirin willy nillly. My doctors have done everything to get me to take a baby aspirin each day, short of chinese burns on both arms, but I have resisted.

#1 Aspirin does not provide me with any pain relief.

#2 I am not at increased risk for stroke

#3 I shared a hospital room once with a lady who was waiting for a flight at the airport when she had spontaneous upper and lower GI bleeds - traced to the baby aspirin her doctor had prescribed for her to prevent her fron having a stroke.

#4 My mother popped aspirin for everything, including what now appear to me to be celiac symptoms - -she survived breast cancer, but died of ovarian cancer.

This current craze to gett everyone ro take a baby aspirin every day is insanity in my book and I refuse to do it.

kareng Grand Master

I don't know who wrote that. As far as I know, it could be a 6 th grader. Also, note that the second article says 1966. We don't give kids aspirin anymore. Baby aspirins are not for children. There may be a reason for a child under 20 to have one, but a doctor should tell you.

bartfull Rising Star

Since going gluten free I have developed a STRONG sensitivity to aspirin. Makes me wonder. Did this happen to anyone else?

AVR1962 Collaborator

I felt the article made some very good points. I guess I didn't nick-pick it to death and look for every way to contradict the author.

TeknoLen Rookie

I have mostly stopped taking aspirin due to the fact that I have had very few headaches since going GFCFSF (whereas previously I had them more regularly). I found the article thought-provoking and I appreciate you sharing it. Thanks.

kareng Grand Master

I felt the article made some very good points. I guess I didn't nick-pick it to death and look for every way to contradict the author.

I don't know if its right or wrong. I'm just saying there are lots of things on the internet. Looking at this I couldn't tell if the person had any special knowledge to write it. It didn't appear to come from any recognized medical center or journal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

While I don't find the citations and the text you provided particularly persuasive, I am with you on not popping aspirin willy nillly. My doctors have done everything to get me to take a baby aspirin each day, short of chinese burns on both arms, but I have resisted.

#1 Aspirin does not provide me with any pain relief.

#2 I am not at increased risk for stroke

#3 I shared a hospital room once with a lady who was waiting for a flight at the airport when she had spontaneous upper and lower GI bleeds - traced to the baby aspirin her doctor had prescribed for her to prevent her fron having a stroke.

#4 My mother popped aspirin for everything, including what now appear to me to be celiac symptoms - -she survived breast cancer, but died of ovarian cancer.

This current craze to gett everyone ro take a baby aspirin every day is insanity in my book and I refuse to do it.

You are so right, Mushroom! The aspirin thing is a joke. All the older folks in my family who never question their doctors look like they have been in a titled boxing match, they have so many bruises from the stupid aspirin they take. They are led to believe that they will die from a stroke if they don't pop an aspirin every day.

Why would anyone do that when all they have to do is drink a glass of red wine everyday....it's nature's blood thinner! :P

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I was completely sick because I didn't know I was intolerant/sensitive/allergic to aspirin. I didn't have a huge reaction just chronically deteriorating health. Aspirin can interfere with your metabolism and add that to being an undiagnosed Celiac already dealing with malabsorption issues and I was an absolute mess. I was taking Ibuprofen for migraine headaches and muscle aches and joint pain. I developed the symptoms of chronic salicylism...but did not recognize it. I got heart palpitations so what did they add? Baby aspirin a day. God I was sick. I read about salicylism first and immediately stopped both aspirin and Ibuprofen. Then 6 months later with the pain in my joints and bones and still having migraines googled until I found this cite. Then I immediately stopped gluten...and I have been getting better ever since. I get sick from too many salicylates now, not just in meds, but in food too. It is cumulative and I have to watch the level of them in my diet.

So yeah, thank you for posting the article. Many people are intolerant of aspirin but they do not know it. It is almost as sad as Celiac disease in the number of people who have it but are unaware.

mushroom Proficient

Why would anyone do that when all they have to do is drink a glass of red wine everyday....it's nature's blood thinner! :P

And a lot more enjoyable.

sora Community Regular

This article was is in my local paper this morning.

Open Original Shared Link

GFinDC Veteran

This article was is in my local paper this morning.

They had basically the same story on BBC news web site yesterday. Short version the researchers are suggesting people don't take aspirin daily unless they are in a high risk group for stroke or heart attack. They said aspirin doesn't reduce the death rate but it does increase the risk of bleeding and strokes.

Archived