Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Celiac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Glutenfree In Punta Cana Dominican Republic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I booked a trip to Punta Cana shortly after I was diagnosed. Before I knew just how many things gluten was in and before I fell victim to the dreaded cross-contamination and its consequences. Now I am a month away from my vacation and need some advice on what kind of foods I should be fairly safe eating. It is a large resort with mostly buffet style but also some restaurants. I would like to avoid the buffet but I have read that the restaurants may be hard to get into - we plan on trying to make reservations as soon as we get there. I am also taking my own cereal and tons of snacks - worst case scenario I eat sparingly but still enjoy the sun and sand. Any advice from those of you who have been there would be much appreciated.

Ads by Google:

Oh!!! Worst case scenario would not be eating sparingly - it would be the dire consequences of cc!

Can you contact the resort and restaurants ahead of time? Oftentimes, high-tourist-traffic vacation spots are ahead of the curve regarding catering to gluten-free guests. Definitely try to call ahead....

Hi

Did your trip to pc happen? Pls share your tips. I have to go to to a family event at dreams punta Cana palm beach with a child with celiac who gets very very ill from accidental gluten and I am stressed.

Thanks

I just got back from Punta Cana last week and am still sick from it. I went to the Grand Paradise Bavaro which is a beautiful resort but totally not set up for people with food issues. Very hard to get into the restaurants on the resort and the buffet was well spaced out - fruit way separate from other foods, bread all to itself on a separate table but you cant control what people do once they get there. Major contamination issues there - the milk was in a big vat and you ladled it onto your cereal or into your glass. There were always bits of cereal floating in it. and staff always in a hurry, no facilities in the room to prepare my own food so I basically ate out of my suitcase all week and lived on rice and fruit. I did not contact the resort before I went and I really regret that but with this place I feel that it would not have helped. There were just too many people going through and not enough staff. I would love to go back to Punta Cana, it is beautiful beyond belief but I would stay at a higher class resort.

Ads by Google:

Oh and I forgot to add that I would definitely look for a room with a kitchenette, they must have some rooms like that. I had taken mac and cheese that I thought I could just heat up in my room but that did not happen cause it turned out I had to add hot water and then microwave it and that wasnt possible. My next trip I will be taking a collapsible kettle with me so I can at least eat a few things in my room besides snack food.