This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Gluten Free Haircare Products?

abaker521

abaker521 Rookie

Hi Everyone! I haven't had much time to really look into various gluten free haircare products, so I was curious to know what everyone uses or recommends? I've resorted to some of the cheaper products that don't really work well on my hair. Right now I'm using L'Oreal's EverStrong shampoo and conditioner. I also use Garnier Fructis mousse and sometimes Pantene's detangler spray (which I'm not 100% sure is gluten free). Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm willing to buy expensive brands as long as they work! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I use Garnier Fructis only. They are gluten free, easy to find, work well and inexpensive. :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

I use Dessert Essence Organics shampoos as well as EO shampoos from time to time. EO is made with essential oils and can be found at places like Whole Foods.

mindbodysoul Newbie

I use Bubble & Bee Organic shampoo (You can find her website by typing in the name.) I got the set of two shampoos, a rinsing bottle, and a free lotion stick for $30. I have very long, thick, and easy to tangle hair and her products work wonders. My hair is soft, shiny, and easy to comb through. Bubble & Bee is 100% natural, organic, and gluten free. I find mixing her shampoo with baking soda works best if you have hard water (but I use it in soft and hard water just because.) The lemon scent is my favorite so far but the peppermint is to die for for the scent alone!

You can pick up her products if you live in Utah but otherwise you have to order them online but everything ships really fast, I usually get my stuff in two days.

Lesx2 Newbie

Aveda and Kirkland (Costco)

Skylark Collaborator

I was disappointed at Aveda. There is hydrolyzed wheat protein in a lot of Aveda hair care products. They do have allergen information in the store to help find the wheat-free ones.

I like Aubrey Organics Chamomile shampoo. I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner most days, and Enjoy Reconstructing Conditioner once a week. Giovanni and Aubrey Organics are nice because they're paraben and SLS free.

sa1937 Community Regular

I also like Garnier Fructis Mousse and would like to try their shampoo and conditioner (using Suave now).

Also in the Garnier line is their Ultra-Lift Anti-Wrinkle Firming Moisturizer, which I like a lot better than what I used before. They also run a lot of coupons and their products are easy to find, which is important to me. I'll definitely be buying more of their products after having tried just these two.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

abaker521 Rookie

Thanks for all the input! Definitely going to try some of those products! =)

GFreeMO Proficient

I also like Garnier Fructis Mousse and would like to try their shampoo and conditioner (using Suave now).

Also in the Garnier line is their Ultra-Lift Anti-Wrinkle Firming Moisturizer, which I like a lot better than what I used before. They also run a lot of coupons and their products are easy to find, which is important to me. I'll definitely be buying more of their products after having tried just these two.

Sylvia, you will love the shampoo and conditioner. It smells great. Walmart sells huge bottles and most of the time the Sunday paper has a coupon.

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia, you will love the shampoo and conditioner. It smells great. Walmart sells huge bottles and most of the time the Sunday paper has a coupon.

That's great to hear...I'll be watching for coupons so I can try them.

Lilychic Rookie

Paul Mitchell will send you a list of what products of theirs are gluten free. Their hair color is gluten free too! Joico has a list of gluten free products and you can search under KMS's website and it will give you a list. Dove is great about listing wheat/gluten products too.

plumbago Experienced

Burt's Bees Dandruff shampoo (they don't make it anymore, but I only wash my hair about 2 times a week, so my stuff lasts and lasts); 365 fragrance-less shampoo from Whole Foods; Head and Shoulders; Nizoral (not 100% sure that is gluten-free); Dessert Essence like someone else said; Suave naturals conditioner (lavender).

From the hair salon - Pureology antifade complex rootlift. I called the number on the cannister and they said it was gluten-free.

-Plumbago

the.gf.bf. Newbie

I have been using Arbonne products and have had great success.

• 4 weeks later...
graciebean Newbie

I use Dove Products and they seem to work well for me. I believe most off them if not all are gluten free. They clearly label any allergens on their products.

• 1 month later...
june27 Apprentice

I was disappointed at Aveda. There is hydrolyzed wheat protein in a lot of Aveda hair care products. They do have allergen information in the store to help find the wheat-free ones.

I like Aubrey Organics Chamomile shampoo. I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner most days, and Enjoy Reconstructing Conditioner once a week. Giovanni and Aubrey Organics are nice because they're paraben and SLS free.

Did you experience any issues with the Aveda products? I have been using them for years, and I love them. I was recently diagnosed with celiac and am trying to figure out if I need to find new hair product or not - I keep seeing conflicting information regarding the presence of gluten in hydrolyzed wheat protein...

• 4 months later...
mmm1017 Rookie

Did you experience any issues with the Aveda products? I have been using them for years, and I love them. I was recently diagnosed with celiac and am trying to figure out if I need to find new hair product or not - I keep seeing conflicting information regarding the presence of gluten in hydrolyzed wheat protein.

Chat Transcript

info: Welcome to Aveda Online. Your personal Advisor will be with you shortly.

info: Hello. Thank you for your interest in Aveda Online. My name is Connie. How may I assist you?

Connie: Hi Michelle

michelle: I am looking for some hair products and maybe some body products, but I cannot have anything with gluten in it or I will become severly sick.

Connie: I am sorry to hear that. For ingredient assistance, kindly contact our Consumer Care team. They can be reached via phone toll-free, at 1.800.328.0849 M-F between 8am-5:00pm Central Standard Time or via email at ConsumerCare-US@gcc.aveda.com.

Connie: They will be happy to assist you Michelle.

michelle: Does Aveda seriously not have a list of gluten free products?

michelle: Why?

Connie: Yes, our Consumer Care team will be happy to assist you Michelle.

Connie: Is there anything else I may assist you with today Michelle?

Connie: Thank you for your visit.

Connie: Have a great week!

jerseyangel Proficient

I also like the Garnier shampoos and conditioners. Right now I am using Wen. The Pomegranate and Six-Thirteen are gluten-free (soy based), as are the seasonal ones. At this time, all other varieties are wheat based and unfortunately out for us.

I have dry, naturally curly, color treated hair and this is the most moisturizing shampoo (they call it cleansing conditioner) I have ever used. Expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

MJ-S Contributor

I've been happy with Neuma. I buy it in a salon and it's salon pricey, but works very well, and is an all vegan and gluten free line. They also list all product ingredients on their website.

birdie22 Enthusiast

The L'Oreal Everstrong line is gluten free per an email I received from their customer service a few months ago.

june27 Apprentice

I loved my Aveda 'be curly' product line, but they all have hydrolized wheat protein. I have since moved on to Onesta (for shampoo/conditioner) and Beautiful Curl for styling products (leave-in conditioner and curl activating cream). I don't like they as much as Aveda, but they seem to work reasonable well, and are much less expensive. I get the Onesta on-line, and the Beautiful Curls at whole foods. Beautiful curls also has a shampoo, but I have not tried it yet...

• 3 weeks later...
NJceliac Apprentice

Not all of the Aubrey line of products are gluten free so make sure to read the label. Same with Giovanni (most of there's is but not all).

• 8 months later...
CeliacStudent2013 Rookie

I use Garnier Fructis only. They are gluten free, easy to find, work well and inexpensive. :)

where can u find that kind

CeliacStudent2013 Rookie

thanks

Archived