This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glucose Tolerance Test.... I'm Scared :(

SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny Apprentice

Lately I've been experiencing muscle weakness. I'll eat before I go to work and after being there for about an hour I start having that weak feeling without really being hungry. I started taking those sweetie clementines and eating one when I felt that way and it would help a bit. The dr told be those aren't the best chose cos they cos my blood sugar to spike. Lately all I've been eating is fruit, meat and vegetables. Grains seem to upset my stomach. Well not so much upset as cos it to come to a grinding halt if you now what I mean. I get to were I don't even have an appetite for a few days. (I eat anyway lol) I felt like that a lot when I was eating gluten. I like actually feeling hungry for once. So he wants me to do the GTT. I'm so scared!! :( Last time I had blood drawn in the morning I passed out :( Also does this mean I have diabetes?!?! What does all of this mean?!? Maybe the fruits I'm eating are wrong? I've been eating a lot of those sweeties and bananas. Any input would help a lot :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I have diabetes. And for most of my life prior to diabetes I had reactive hypoglycemia. This is now thought to be a precursor to diabetes. What happens when you have that is that when you eat carbs, your blood sugar will spike and then drop rapidly.

Some diabetics find that they still have it. So what they have to do is use their meter and test their blood sugar frequently to see which foods spike them. Then they need to either avoid those foods or eat less of them or maybe even combine them with a protein and fat.

The GTT will tell whether or not you have diabetes, pre-diabetes or even just reactive hypoglycemia. You will be required to fast for the test. You will then be given a sweet syrup to drink. It probably won't taste very good or be very pleasant.

You will then be required to sit still for about 3 hours. You may do things during this time like read a book, listen to music or maybe even play a video game provided you aren't very active while playing it. Activity can skew the test results. You'll probably feel very thirsty but you can't drink any water until the test is over with.

Be sure to bring bottled water with you. You'll want to drink it after the test. I was also instructed to bring food but I became so sick to my stomach afterwards that I couldn't eat for a good 24 hours. Not everyone will get sick like that. But some will. You should bring food just in case but be prepared not to be able to eat it. You'll probably just want to crawl in bed when you get home and try to sleep it off.

Have you noticed any skin tags or areas of darkened skin? Do you have excess belly fat? If so, these could be signs of type 2 diabetes. But not everyone who has type 2 diabetes will have these things. Diabetes is not something that can be diagnosed by symptoms alone. That is why there is a test for it.

In the meantime, do you know any diabetics? If so, ask them to test your blood sugar for you. Normal blood sugar will be somewhere around 80. If it is under 70 that could indicate a problem such as reactive hypoglycemia. If it is over 109 that could indicate pre-diabetes or diabetes.

But keep in mind that there are things that can raise blood sugar. Such as a thyroid condition, illness, steroid use or even the use of some psychiatric meds. So do not panic over one odd reading. But do get the GTT done.

missy'smom Collaborator

Lately I've been experiencing muscle weakness. I'll eat before I go to work and after being there for about an hour I start having that weak feeling without really being hungry. I started taking those sweetie clementines and eating one when I felt that way and it would help a bit. The dr told be those aren't the best chose cos they cos my blood sugar to spike. Lately all I've been eating is fruit, meat and vegetables. Grains seem to upset my stomach. Well not so much upset as cos it to come to a grinding halt if you now what I mean. I get to were I don't even have an appetite for a few days. (I eat anyway lol) I felt like that a lot when I was eating gluten. I like actually feeling hungry for once. So he wants me to do the GTT. I'm so scared!! :( Last time I had blood drawn in the morning I passed out :( Also does this mean I have diabetes?!?! What does all of this mean?!? Maybe the fruits I'm eating are wrong? I've been eating a lot of those sweeties and bananas. Any input would help a lot :(

Yes, do get tested if there is any question. Blood sugar issues can be very manageable but you need info to do it and the earlier the better. I too have diabetes and have had an Ogtt twice. If you are concerned about fainting, ask to lay down. They should respect that. I do every time I get a blood draw because I am a fainter. I always choose a lab that has a table/bed. Laying down helps keep my blood pressure stable otherwise it tends to drop. BTW, I didn't pass out either time I had the ogtt.

Diabetes and blood sugar issues are not just pos. or neg. it is a spectrum so that's why it is important to get this test. It is a good one and will give you and the doc good info to go by.

I've been there with trying to avoid the test and manage on my own and worrying about my food choices etc. It's much better to get tested ;) It can be managed with dietary changes but you need this info. first.

Take something with you to eat afterwards, maybe something with protein as you will have alot of sugar in your system ;) If you are there for the 3 or 5 hr. test, then take something to keep you busy/distracted. I layed down during the draw and a bit afterwards but when I felt ok, I went to the waiting room and sat in a chair and read a book until the next draw. Do you take someone with you? Since I am a fainter I always take someone with me in case I am not feeling fully up to driving myself home. Plus, I need a handholder ;)

I used to try to suck it up and be brave but now I just tell the labworker straight up that I am a fainter and what I need. They are usually greatful and great about making me feel more comfortable. They'd rather know than have you pass out suddenly.

RollingAlong Explorer

How long have you been off all grains?

You could try eating a little protein along with the clementine or ideally, a little protein and fat.

Do you notice issues at any other time in the day?

SleepyBunny Apprentice

@JulieBove - When I was getting my celiac test done he tested for a few other things. My glucose being one and it was at 80. I've never had any blood sugar problems test wise. My uncle has diabetes and I just found out my other uncle does also. I do have a few skin tags like 3 lol I've lost like 40lbs in the past year or so so not as much belly fat as before. Just a little now :) I also found out recently that I have hypothyroidism. Boo :(

@missy'smom- I'm sitting here wanting to eat soooo bad!! lol I feel that feeling when you haven't eaten and I keep picturing myself fainting! :( lol I asked my mom to go with me so I'll have someone to visit with and whine to wihile I'm waiting :) And I will be asking to lay down. Do they have to stick me twice or can they just leave the needle thingy in?

@RollingAlong- Mainly since the begining of the year so not long. Every once and while I try to eat grains and it seems to upset my tummy lately. My tummy has been upset lately period. I don't know what else to cut out. I'm not eating many different choices to begin with. I've tried eating almonds with the sweeties but my tummy just doesn't feel right. :( I'm so tired of my stomach. I have a weird schedule so I usually notice it a couple hours after I wake up after I've eaten. Usually afternoon time.

Thank you guys so much for responding. My test is in the morning. Wish me luck! I can read your responses while I'm waiting :)

Juliebove Rising Star

Hypothyroidism can raise your blood sugar. It doesn't always. But I do know of one case of a woman whose blood sugar issues resolved when she got on the right dose of thyroid meds.

missy'smom Collaborator

@JulieBove - When I was getting my celiac test done he tested for a few other things. My glucose being one and it was at 80. I've never had any blood sugar problems test wise. My uncle has diabetes and I just found out my other uncle does also. I do have a few skin tags like 3 lol I've lost like 40lbs in the past year or so so not as much belly fat as before. Just a little now :) I also found out recently that I have hypothyroidism. Boo :(

@missy'smom- I'm sitting here wanting to eat soooo bad!! lol I feel that feeling when you haven't eaten and I keep picturing myself fainting! :( lol I asked my mom to go with me so I'll have someone to visit with and whine to wihile I'm waiting :) And I will be asking to lay down. Do they have to stick me twice or can they just leave the needle thingy in?

@RollingAlong- Mainly since the begining of the year so not long. Every once and while I try to eat grains and it seems to upset my tummy lately. My tummy has been upset lately period. I don't know what else to cut out. I'm not eating many different choices to begin with. I've tried eating almonds with the sweeties but my tummy just doesn't feel right. :( I'm so tired of my stomach. I have a weird schedule so I usually notice it a couple hours after I wake up after I've eaten. Usually afternoon time.

Thank you guys so much for responding. My test is in the morning. Wish me luck! I can read your responses while I'm waiting :)

Well, maybe I am seeing this too late and replying too late. Maybe you're already off to get it done.

If I remember right, they do stick you more than once. I got 5 :( They rotated sites/arms. But you can ask if there are options. Good for you for taking along mom and asking for what you need-to lie down. Go ahead and whine. If it helps get the job done and keeps you distracted and helps you get through it. Who cares what anybody thinks. I'm all for whatever works. So long as it doesn't contribute to escalating everyone's stress.

Just tell yourself. This will be done today. It has a definite end. No more waiting and worrying. It will be finished. Job done. Goal accomplished. Move on.

I hear you about being hungry. I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy next week so have to go without eating for a whole day before. Not looking forward to that. But I know, my first line of defense against fainting is to get a good meal in my stomach before going in so I am always a little extra nervous about fasting tests. Best Wishes to you Hun. HUGS.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Not today but afterwards in the next week or so, when the reports are back, make sure you get copies of the results and know your numbers so that you can learn and make decisions and choices from an educated perspective.

Don't think about your numbers today, just get the job done and relax and give yourself a reward for being a trooper.

Archived