This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie..:)

Scotslass

Scotslass Newbie

Hello folks..I'm new here.. I have had coelicas for 9 years and I live in Scotland.. Come say hi

:unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Hiya!

I live in frigid northern Canada but have been to your wonderful country several times - I LOVE Scotland. Navigator is from Scotland - I'm sure you will be meeting her. In what area do you live?

My celiac diagnosis was officially made ten months ago (bloodwork and biopsies) so I have been strictly gluten free for that time.

Scotslass Newbie

Hiya Love2travel.. Thanks for replying.. I live just outside Edinburgh.

Coeliacs sucks eh... :( But hey ho got to get on with it.. I'm fine with it now. I call myself the dinner guest from hell and get really annoyed if people think I have an allergy or a food fad.. I go off on a rant about what coeliacs is and what problems it can cause..

I've never been to Canada but my boss has he loves it ..

love2travel Mentor

Hiya Love2travel.. Thanks for replying.. I live just outside Edinburgh.

Coeliacs sucks eh... :( But hey ho got to get on with it.. I'm fine with it now. I call myself the dinner guest from hell and get really annoyed if people think I have an allergy or a food fad.. I go off on a rant about what coeliacs is and what problems it can cause..

I've never been to Canada but my boss has he loves it ..

Edinburgh and area is gorgeous! Lucky you. My husband and I bought a house in Croatia and go there at least six weeks a year. Next trip May 3.

Parts of Canada are stunning. Unfortunately I live many hours from the Rockies smack dab in the prairies where it is quite dull and dreary as there literally is nothing to see. One of the reasons we love to travel!

Celiac does suck but thankfully my other passions are cooking and baking so at home it is easy. My husband does not eat gluten in the house so our home is a safe zone. :) It is a different story being invited to events where I cannot eat. When I was diagnosed I was shocked because I thought I was asymptomatic and the only reason I was tested is because a sister of mine is gluten intolerant. As I teach cooking classes I went into denial for a month and was angry because I didn't feel sick eating gluten so why should I stop? However, now I know better and recognize things I did have and did not pay attention to at the time.

mushroom Proficient

How-dee, Scotslass, as they say in the deep south, which I am not from unless you consider South Island of New Zealand "deep". Certainly getting pretty deep toward the Southern Ocean.although still classified as Pacific. Certainly not Tahiti's south pacific, however :D

Scotslass Newbie

wow... gotta love the internet..I love that I am now chatting to someone from Canada and someone from New Zealand..Brilliant

Thank you for the welcome

Love to travel... Croatia sounds lovely I have heard many good things about it. How nice that you can visit there regularly.. I love to travel too but dont get the opportunity as much as I'd like ..I was in Turkey a few months ago and I always head up North (of Scotland) every year with my 5 girlfriends..

I also love the Greek islands and I would love to visit New Zealand one day..

A little more information..I am a nurse, I work full time and am a single parent to a teenage son who , as far as I know, doesn't have coeliacs but he does have eczema which flares up every now and then . It makes him so self conscious.:(

love2travel Mentor

wow... gotta love the internet..I love that I am now chatting to someone from Canada and someone from New Zealand..Brilliant

Thank you for the welcome

Love to travel... Croatia sounds lovely I have heard many good things about it. How nice that you can visit there regularly.. I love to travel too but dont get the opportunity as much as I'd like ..I was in Turkey a few months ago and I always head up North (of Scotland) every year with my 5 girlfriends..

I also love the Greek islands and I would love to visit New Zealand one day..

A little more information..I am a nurse, I work full time and am a single parent to a teenage son who , as far as I know, doesn't have coeliacs but he does have eczema which flares up every now and then . It makes him so self conscious.:(

Croatia is absolutely stunning and so down to earth. People are so genuine and sincere which is vastly different from here.

We are planning to go to Turkey because of all the ancient history.

One of my sisters is a nurse and her first job was in Glasgow! She and her husband (also a nurse) moved there for 7 or 8 months to work for experience and travel. They LOVED Scotland so much - always did day trips to see castles and such. So, while they were living there I went there and fell in love as well. That trip got me hooked on travel and now we go to Europe at least twice a year.

Aside from teaching cooking classes I am a professional recipe tester for a couple of places in the U.S. It is so interesting! Other than that I am a homemaker. My background is Human Resources. My husband and I have no children (I had miscarriages which I now attribute to celiac).

Oh, that eczema can be cruel, can't it? I can see how your son would be self conscious. My eczema was so bad as a kid that I had to go to the hospital regularly to get my arms wrapped in gauze. That and the fact that I was in school in the late 70s and 80s, wearing bright peach gabardine pants and matching top didn't help! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

navigator Apprentice

Welcome Scotslass. I live in Lanark so not too far from you. I was only diagnosed last May so you're way ahead of me in the coeliac lifestyle! I made my first gluten-free loaf today and it wasn't too bad for a first attempt and better than any that I've bought. I guess it'll all be second nature to you now. Any restaurant recommendations for the next time we're in Edinburgh? We had an overnight there on Tuesday - that wind was biting! :D

P.S. - do you know of a good gluten free haggis supplier?

Scotslass Newbie

Love 2 travel... What a small world..Mind you us nurses get everywhere .. :blink:

Navigator.. Thank you for the welcome. Yes Edinburgh winds can be fierce but we don't get as much snow or rain as tehy do out west.

I got to a fab butcher on Broughton Street in Edinburgh called Crombies. They have a whole range of gluten free sausages and I'm sure they do haggis as well. Might be worth a google.. :P

I manage my diet quite well but I do call myself 'the dinner guest from hell' .. But my friends and family are all used to my 'disability (as my ex called it) by now..

deltron80 Rookie

Welcome to the forums!!

Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye! ;)

frieze Community Regular

another nurse here. had a ggmother macnish, does that count? lol

looking forward to being in the UK around the Olympic time....hope to get "up" your way.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Welcome to the forums! You've had a long time to adjust to a gluten-free life style. Maybe we can pick your brai....I mean, maybe we can share ideas on how to navigate social functions? ;)

Deltron..I just love it when you speak French. :D

AVR1962 Collaborator

Hello, been to Eidenburgh and had a wonderful time. I live in Germany myself.....about done with the rain here this winter but thankfully so far it has been quite mild as far as temps are concerned. Hang tight, you'll get the diet down, it just takes a buit and once you've got it, it won't seem to bad. Being off glutens makes a big difference!

glutenized Newbie

Hello folks..I'm new here.. I have had coelicas for 9 years and I live in Scotland.. Come say hi

:unsure:

Hello, I'm new to this forum also. My wife has recently been diagnosed with Celiac and we are here to learn more and also hear about some great gluten free recipes!

Archived