This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food For Flight/airports?

granolagal

granolagal Apprentice

Hello,

I'm going on vacation soon and our travel time to get to our destination is 17 hours. We have 3 flights (all in Canada and USA). I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of what food I should bring in my carry-on? I'm worried about not finding things to eat at the airport. I was thinking of nuts, gluten-free granola bars...but I got stuck at that and that's not going to last me 17 hours!!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Hello,

I'm going on vacation soon and our travel time to get to our destination is 17 hours. We have 3 flights (all in Canada and USA). I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of what food I should bring in my carry-on? I'm worried about not finding things to eat at the airport. I was thinking of nuts, gluten-free granola bars...but I got stuck at that and that's not going to last me 17 hours!!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

If you can do peanut butter try a pbj sandwich (gluten-free bread, of course) and apple.

Also, most airports list restaurants online, so try looking up the airport and the restaurants.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I recently flew to Australia (14.5 hours), and I took those individual-sized containers of Jif peanut butter (I usually eat only organic PB, but I was desperate for protein!), boiled eggs, gluten-free crackers, sandwich bags containing olives and nuts, a package of salami, gluten-free Chex cereal, and See's chocolates (so I wouldn't feel so deprived). I also brought a few apples and cheese, and I just made sure that I ate the cheese, eggs, a salami within the first few hours of the flight.

However, if you'd like everything all nicely prepared, you can go to www.GoPicnic.com and check out their gluten-free packaged meals. They're pretty good.

love2travel Mentor

Like Rosetapper I have flown on several overseas long-haul flights with many layovers and delays. So, I take Kind bars, pepperoni sticks, homemade crackers, a bag of Skittles and falafel chips with little sample-sized Nutella and peanut butter. Oh, and Chex mix (with peanuts, etc.). Air Canada does serve gluten free meals on long-haul flights but they are downright yucky so I am always glad to have my snacks along. Oh, I forgot. Fruit leather is also great to take along. Easy to make, too. :)

birdie22 Enthusiast

Last time I traveled I had a few gopicnic meals. I bought 5 pack sets off of Amazon and packed some in my carry on and the rest in my checked bag (for the stay and return trip). Easy to eat on the go, not messy, and a good variety of food in each kit.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

GoPicnic is a good option - a few airports sell them at the news stores. Most airports have fruit/vegetable and cheese boxes at the food stands. I have seen various sizes/containers of peanut butter taken 3 times in the past year so it may not be 100% safe option anymore - I would think single serve tubs that you can put in your ziplock will pass though.

If you post the airports we can help you more.

BabsV Enthusiast

I've taken peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, Kind bars, chicken (I ate that first thing or you can freeze it for a long haul trip and let it thaw), small amounts of sliced hard cheeses, etc. Having protein is a big help! Also, crackers and/or something sweet for treats. I've packed everything either in ziploc bags in individual serving sizes or in tiny see-through plastic containers. I haven't had any trouble getting any of the items through security and was transiting through German airports which always seem to be really strict about what's in your carry-on. I was all ready to do battle and they didn't even ask why my carry on was half-full of food.

Whoops...also most airports do have fresh fruit and veg options plus nuts -- we were in Frankfurt and they had these great prepackaged cups full of fresh fruit and another of carrot sticks, etc. I just dumped the little package of dip that was included.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

granolagal Apprentice

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back here! The airports I'll be in are Chicago and Dallas. But my layovers are very short so I don't expect to have any time to eat in the airport restaurants. So I'm hoping to bring enough food with me so I don't have to worry about it. I don't think I'll do the "Go Picnic" because I'm a vegetarian and most of their meals have meat. Thanks for the tip though.

So I think I'll try...mini packs of peanut butter, apple, gluten-free crackers, almonds, maybe even some oatmeal ("Only Oats" of course) that I could heat up with some hot water. Maybe some kale chips and dried or deydrated fruit. (Oh ya, and maybe some chocolate too.... ;) )

Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all of your ideas!

Nadia2009 Enthusiast

Caution: don't take for granted the gluten free meals and snacks from Air Canada. Read all the ingredients and ask for what is in your meal. I was given a snack with the main ingredient spelt but that didn't stop there. A flight attendant tried to convince me it was gluten free because their dietitician said so :o I wrote to Air Canada a long message after my arrival and they were happy I told them about the incident.

lpellegr Collaborator

Like Rosetapper I have flown on several overseas long-haul flights with many layovers and delays. So, I take Kind bars, pepperoni sticks, homemade crackers, a bag of Skittles and falafel chips with little sample-sized Nutella and peanut butter. Oh, and Chex mix (with peanuts, etc.). Air Canada does serve gluten free meals on long-haul flights but they are downright yucky so I am always glad to have my snacks along. Oh, I forgot. Fruit leather is also great to take along. Easy to make, too. :)

Sample size Nutella!!!!! Where can I find that?

Monklady123 Collaborator

Sample size Nutella!!!!! Where can I find that?

Look on that website that begins with an "A" that I think we're not allowed to mention here. They sell a pack of 24 single-serving packets of Nutella. :)

I used my zip lock bag to carry my peanut butter and nutella. I never carry on much in the way of cosmetic things, so all I had was a tiny tube of toothpaste, a small tube of vaseline for dry lips, and a small hand cream. The rest was peanut butter, nutella, and hummos (plus I had some in my checked bag.)

I took cheese, chicken, hardboiled eggs, fruit, nuts, lara bars, hummos, and veggies. That was for my trip to where I was going. I had also packed a couple of Gopicnics in my checked bag and I made sure to save one for coming home, plus nuts, fruit, pb. It worked out fine.

NEVER, NEVER depend on airline gluten free meals. omg... My morning "snack" one time was a dry rice cake. That was it. {gag} -- Although...I didn't think my neighbor's danish thing looked much better. In fact, I think she was jealous of my banana, pb, and egg. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
MrsVJW Newbie

I am a fan of the GoPicnic meals, myself. Re-package them into a Ziploc, and I've never had problems with my gluten-free food thru security (including O'Hare... where we were the first people thru security the morning they started the "no liquids" rule and I got stuck for 20 minutes while they debated if a box of NutraGrain bars counted as a liquid because it had filling... I feel sorry for anyone who tried to go thru security that day, lol). I'll unpack one and stick it in my bag for travel, and will usually pack one in the luggage for the ride home. But single-serve, unopened "travel size" food has never caused me a problem.

Lisa Mentor

I have never heard of GoPicnic. Thanks that that information. It will come in handy this summer. :)

Melissa Palomo Apprentice

I've just ordered some GoPicnic meals - I couldn't remember the name of them so yay for this thread! I love bringing "ready to eat" food with me when I travel so those are perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Hormel Naturals sliced luncheon meat. Naturally gluten free (look for brown/red boxes).

You can buy Yogurt at most airports (after security). Read label.

Cashews and other nuts.

Chips, power bars etc.

Some airports, baked potatoes are available.

ALWAYS have something, even if it's junkfood. Peanut M&M's have saved my life....

• 3 weeks later...
aeraen Apprentice

While you can not count on every agent being so accommodating, I have found that I was allowed to bring my hummus or chicken salad in my carry on by letting the TSA agent know that I was on a special diet, and can't eat the food on board.

I have also had luck bringing cut up fruit apples and carrots, sliced cheese and rice crackers. Like MrsVJW, I've also brought small containers of peanut butter in my ziplock bag, with no problem. Sliced apples dipped in peanut butter are one of my favorite travel snacks.

granolagal Apprentice

Hi everyone!

Just an update to say that I had no trouble bringing food through the airport. I was worried because I had an apple and even a burrito (packaged) as well as mini packs of pb and prepackaged cheese. Anyway, I sailed through with no problem. The US security agent just said that I wouldn't have been allowed to bring a citrus fruit over (e.g. oranges, grapefruit, etc). I also had almonds and some junk food too ;)

Thanks again for all of your replies!

• 3 weeks later...
Cicciabella Newbie

Surprised no one mentioned packets of tuna! I pick these up at my local Safeway. Some are already seasoned---check the ingredient list, obviously. I usually get the plain ones. I travel by air frequently, several times a month, and tuck one or two into my wheeled carry-on for longer flights. Have NEVER had TSA security question me. (Remember to bring a plastic fork!) I also have a tiny bottle half ounce bottle of balsamic vinaigrette that saves me when I pick up an airport salad on the go. You can never be sure of what's in packaged airport salad dressings.

plumbago Experienced

Someone just told me about Go Picnic meals today (gopicnic). Wow. This is great.

Here's my question though: I do not like to buy things online, so has anyone bought their gluten-free meals at airports (or other places) on a regular basis? If so, where??

For instance, does Atlanta (airport) have them?

Thanks!! (And I really need to thank the person who told me about these.)

Plumbago

• 2 weeks later...
imisslittledebbiesnax Newbie

I'm so happy I found this! I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease and am flying to Africa soon. I hadn't considered the fact that I won't be able to eat much from the plane... But after reading this I realize I'm going to need to plan ahead. Thank you to everyone who posted ideas. I really appreciate finding all of this! :lol:

Archived