• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Equate Glucosamine & Chondroitin With Msm Has Gluten

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

For those of you who take Glucosamine please beware. Just before Christmas I had a gluten reaction and couldn't figure out what I had eaten that had gluten. At first I had just slight nausea so I thought maybe it was from my sensitivity to lactose. When it got worse and the diarrhea started I knew it had to be gluten. Then I remembered buying Equate Glucosamine & Chondroitin with MSM from Walmart. I had been taking them for about 3 weeks. The list of ingredients did not show gluten and I bought them because they were cheaper than my regular brand which is clearly marked Gluten-Free. I stopped taking it right away and my symptoms went away. I contacted Walmart and after about 2 weeks of emails and phone calls they finally got back to me that there is gluten in the product. So I learned the hard way that it doesn't pay to buy a product because it is cheaper if it isn't clearly labeled Gluten-Free. :(

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Larryx

• Topics

• Hey Joseph!   You might re-think that gluten-free oatmeal.   For years,  oatmeal was prohibited.  Researchers eventually determined that some celiacs could have oatmeal as long as it is pure (no possibility of cross contamination from field to factory).  But some 10% of celiacs  still react to oatmeal.  Plus, there is a new controversy over sorted vs. dedicated grown oats.  So, best to avoid oats for the first six months and then experiment.   When my GI tract is inflamed from celiac disease (flare-up) from accidentally being exposed to gluten, I stick to well-cooked foods (even fruit).  It makes it easier to digest.  Once better, I go back to my normal gluten-free diet.  
    • My son is 13 and we have been dealing with his unusual issues for years. By 3rd grade, he was The Hulk, breaking things, punching holes in walls and raging. He had depression, anxiety and panic attacks. His skin would have rashes or turn bright red and i didn't understand why (now i know it's salicylic acid added to conditioner, sunscreen, lotion, ect). We realized that dyes were a problem and cut those out. Little by little, we removed sulfur, sulfites, preservatives, salicylates (aspirin-we assume he will be allergic to this but he has never had it and we won't ever test it, most fruits, spices, veggies and honey), nitrates, soy sauce and many more. He lived on an all home made, special diet and he was better but not well. (We did the Feingold and Failsafe Diet but that wasn't enough). He was diagnosed with hypersensitivity to medication by 5th grade (tried anti-anxiety meds-big mistake). Consecutive doses of anything would get stuck in his body and then the real fun started, full body rash, suicidal thoughts, vomiting and my least favorite-hallucinations. He was in the ER for a fall from a tree and they gave ibuprofen and Vicodin. Within 30 minutes the rash spread up and down his whole body (including under the damn cast). The worst night of my life was trying to keep him from breaking his own cast off and talking him down from trying to hurt himself.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             We tested my son for everything and anything, hormones, vitamin deficiency (later found out they don't test for nearly enough to really know) and thyroid. Everything was normal but a mildly low vitamin D level. He was very unhealthy, he was sick a LOT, allergies were bad, asthma and he developed food intolerances out of nowhere. We did a gluten/dairy free diet (because his sister is gluten/dairy free) but it made no difference and his diet was already so restricted. We did a year long food journal and also found an issue with pork, apples, citrus fruit, cinnamon, ect.  I researched my kid like it was my job. We tried many vitamins and supplements and he had bad reactions to many of them. I finally found a man with several of the same gene mutations (we tested with 23andme.com) who's Dr. thought it was a PST-Pathway issue. We decided to try the protocol of vitamins, supplements and amino acids to see if it made any difference and OMG, what a difference. At this point, we didn't have a pediatrician that actually listened so I asked several doctors about the specific vitamin/minerals/amino acids and kept all the does to a child size dose.  We had always used epsom salts as a response to a reaction in something, not as a preventative measure. We now soak his feet twice a day in Epsom salt water (or in the bath), it gives him a form of sulfur that his body was missing and now he can eat anything he wants (except soy sauce but we'll gladly leave that out). He takes molybdenum everyday with magnesium/calcium and vitamin D3 (and when we stop that, panic attacks come back. Weekly he takes milk thistle (we tried L-Glycine but too much gave him terrible insomnia (like 3 days of barely any sleep) and milk thistle works just as well to keep his liver open and working it's best), B vitamins, Cod liver oil capsules with Vitamins A and D and liquid Zinc.  His personality changed on the L-Glycine in a more outgoing way but then in a manic, not himself way so that scared us. Since the supplements started (6 months ago), his anxiety and depression is gone (and it was really controlling how we lived). He would never talk to people before...he was diagnosed with selective mutism but we felt that was incorrect and he was just very shy. He never liked talking with adults. Now, there is no problem, he is not super chatty with everyone but all he adults in our family noticed immediately. He is ready to stop home schooling and start high school next year. He has become a responsible, sweet, calm and caring child. No more daily fights, no more holes in the walls, no more rage. Our daughter has anorexia and we have been very busy dealing with her behaviors and missed the daily vitamins on occasion for several days....old son comes raging back. It doesn't take too long to figure out the mistake and gets him back where he needs to be. We did some genetic testing with a neurologist who specializes in metabolic function and while he tested for some helpful issues relating to hypersensitivity to medication, I still got the impression that he thought it was a placebo effect. We have burned through many therapists, pediatricians, a neuropsychologist, a psychiatrist, a gastroenterologist and possibly this neurologist. I hate not being taken seriously because while they may not agree with my ideas, they have nothing to offer in return.   
    • Yep no fruit, juice, sugar, or grains like oatmeal. The sugars glucose, fructose etc. Are common causes of flares in some. Sugar free fiber like nuts, but butters, cocanibs seem to be great for me. Keto diet sugar free high fat, mostly over cooked to mush or blended works great for me......heck as a baker I had to invent low carb, grain free, starch free bread. Sorta lead to a god like revelation and business took off with diabetics and my bakery.
    • Gastritis was my initial diagnoses before finding out I had celiac. The pains from the gastritis were terrible. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to eat cause I felt nauseous. The Doc prescribed me omeprozole and antacids. I took the meds for about a week but I cured it mostly by not drinking and eliminated caffeine intake. Alcohol was one of the main causes for mine 
    • The UC is a whole different beast. I’ve been eliminating tons of food. Meat is definitely good to me. I can eat all the steak, chicken, and pork without problems. I agree that paleo would be great for me. I’m gonna look more into their recipes.  Have you had any problems with fruits and veggies causing flare ups? I make smoothies with mixed berries, banana, gluten free oatmeal, spinach, and a splash of juice. It seems to be a cause. Maybe it’s the high fiber? I’m not sure. That and caffeine. I’m having a hard time eliminating caffeine though  
  • Upcoming Events