This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sloppy Joe Recipes?

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

Hi. Does anyone have any safe sloppy joe recipes? I can cook this for my family.

Does any super-sensitive have a sloppy joe recipe that I could eat too? My first priority yummy food for my family, but it would also be nice to have a recipe for myself too! I find that I can react to ground hamburger too. I haven't found any that I can handle, but I haven't been looking around since being glutened from the grocer and prepacked angus burgers at Whole Foods.

I would love some recipes!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Thankfully Sloppy Joe recipes are almost always naturally gluten free. This is a basic recipe from which to build on by adding your own bits and pieces:

Open Original Shared Link

Hope you can find great tasting ground beef! I am not super sensitive by any stretch so I am afraid I cannot help you there. I have never had any problems with ground beef or meat for that matter. Sorry!

Wenmin Enthusiast

Manwich is gluten free

missy'smom Collaborator

My family likes this recipe Open Original Shared Link

be sure to get gluten-free ingredients.

It is possible to be allergic to beef. It might be the stuff they add to it sometimes to keep bacteria at bay, rather than gluten. Goggle pink slime and ground beef.

shayre Enthusiast

My family likes this recipe Open Original Shared Link

be sure to get gluten-free ingredients.

It is possible to be allergic to beef. It might be the stuff they add to it sometimes to keep bacteria at bay, rather than gluten. Goggle pink slime and ground beef.

Yuck! Really? Yes, I don't react to steak, but just ground beef. Someone else on here said that they couldn't find clean ground beef, because they seem to use the same grinders for sausages with gluten, etc. I just attributed it to that. I actually have a "gluten" reaction from it. I have nueromuscular issues and brain fog from gluten, not necessarily gut problems. I never feel sick to my stomach from glutening. But...yuck anyway! I try to stay away from any additives.

Thank you for the ideas and recipes:)

sa1937 Community Regular

Yuck! Really? Yes, I don't react to steak, but just ground beef. Someone else on here said that they couldn't find clean ground beef, because they seem to use the same grinders for sausages with gluten, etc. I just attributed it to that. I actually have a "gluten" reaction from it. I have nueromuscular issues and brain fog from gluten, not necessarily gut problems. I never feel sick to my stomach from glutening. But...yuck anyway! I try to stay away from any additives.

Thank you for the ideas and recipes:)

Can you just buy a piece of good beef (a chuck roast or whatever) and grind it yourself? I would think for the quantity you would need for Sloppy Joes that you could even use a food processor if you don't have a meat grinder.

love2travel Mentor

Can you just buy a piece of good beef (a chuck roast or whatever) and grind it yourself? I would think for the quantity you would need for Sloppy Joes that you could even use a food processor if you don't have a meat grinder.

Yes!! Go directly to the butcher.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Thankfully Sloppy Joe recipes are almost always naturally gluten free. This is a basic recipe from which to build on by adding your own bits and pieces:

Hope you can find great tasting ground beef! I am not super sensitive by any stretch so I am afraid I cannot help you there. I have never had any problems with ground beef or meat for that matter. Sorry!

I made this tonight. Very good. Of course, Picky Child wouldn't eat it.

Hubs did ask where the Schar rolls were. He doesn't like Udi's.

• 2 weeks later...
Leakygut Newbie

Mom's Favorite Sloppy Joes

3/4 pound ground beef

1/2 small onion, chopped

1 tablespoon bell pepper, chopped

salt, pepper, garlic salt to taste

1/4 teaspoon chili powder

1 tablespoon ketchup

1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Brown beef, onions, bell pepper in fry pan.

Add remaining ingredients.

Simmer 30 minutes or til thickened.

Add some water if too thick.

Heat delicious non-gluten bread and enjoy!!! Voila!

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I made these the other day and they were great! Half the mixture is finely chopped cabbage - you can't taste it at all. My picky-eater 9 year old ate two and my husband, who claims to hate cabbage, didn't even notice. The sauce was a bit sweet, so I reduced the amount of sugar - still very sweet. I will use our other recipe for the sauce next time, but keep adding the cabbage.

Cara

Archived