• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Udi's Hamburger Buns

11 posts in this topic

Ginsou    5

I haven't purchased Udi's Hamburger buns for the past year because I found them unpalatable and not like what they used to be when they first started selling them. I also noticed they were not being sold in the stores where I used to buy them, and when I inquired I found myself being steered to other brands, which were't up to par either. I have been staying in Tucson, AZ for the past 3 weeks, and thought I'd give them another try...I was yearning for burgers and fries. Found some Udi's frozen whole grain buns at Sunflower Market, and they were so soft and delicious when thawed out, I went back and purchased 3 more packages to take home. Has anyone noticed a change for the better in this product?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I've not purchased Udi's buns in a while, but will do so again based on your observations, just to see.

I picked up some Schar rolls (which can be sliced and used for hamburger buns), and they have improved some. Still not quite there yet.

Dr. Jill    0

I'm new to the gluten-free diet so I don't have previous experience with Udi's hamburger buns, but I will say that they are rather good. The texture and the taste seem good enough for me, and before my diagnosis I was a bread maniac! Makes giving up "real" bread not so bad.

love2travel    396

I have only purchased the buns once and that was in about July so cannot compare.

However, I have purchased Udi's bread and have found the slice to be even smaller than they were. They look like they would perhaps feed a gnat. And the holes! My loaf had huge holes all the way through the bread like a tunnel. All that for $7.49. I still do have a loaf of Genius bread which I must say I prefer to Udi's and only $4.99. I like to make my own bread - there is something about taking a fresh loaf out of the oven and smearing it with butter or preserves.

Funny you posted this.

I am in Tucson, but I didn't buy my last bag at Sunflower.

Anyway, I noticed IN THE SAME BAG one bun had a different texture than the other two I thawed.

What's up with that???

Ads by Google:

Ginsou    5

Funny you posted this.

I am in Tucson, but I didn't buy my last bag at Sunflower.

Anyway, I noticed IN THE SAME BAG one bun had a different texture than the other two I thawed.

What's up with that???

That's quite interesting....maybe some were from a different batch? Maybe some whole grain ones got mixed up with non-whole grain?

Ads by Google:

Ginsou    5

I have only purchased the buns once and that was in about July so cannot compare.

However, I have purchased Udi's bread and have found the slice to be even smaller than they were. They look like they would perhaps feed a gnat. And the holes! My loaf had huge holes all the way through the bread like a tunnel. All that for $7.49. I still do have a loaf of Genius bread which I must say I prefer to Udi's and only $4.99. I like to make my own bread - there is something about taking a fresh loaf out of the oven and smearing it with butter or preserves.

I had stopped purchasing Udi's because of the tunnels, some of which were large enough for a mouse...and the price and small size of the package. I have switched to Rudi's 18 ounce loaf at a more reasonable price. I will try Genius if I ever come across it....I saw it advertised in Living Without magazine. Some Safeway stores now carry Rudi's, along with Kroger and Basha's Supermarkets. Of course, you can always order, but there are times when I get so hungry I have to have some no matter how far I have to drive.I have many food allergies, and the older I get, the less I want to spend my whole day cooking everything from scratch. As soon as I use up all my bread mixes, I will no longer attempt to bake that perfect loaf of bread.

That's quite interesting....maybe some were from a different batch? Maybe some whole grain ones got mixed up with non-whole grain?

Maybe a different batch, but doubtful. They were both the same grain. One was just harder than the others. It was weird.

Ads by Google:

love2travel    396

Lucky me, I've never had the major holes in their bread that others have mentioned.

I've only bought a few loaves (several months ago - still have two in the freezer) and the last loaf had to be used for filler for meatloaf and so on because there was no way I was going to toast air! Wouldn't have worked so well for spreading on some jam. Where would it go? <_<

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kelly0

• Topics

• Both of my children (6 & 9) and myself were diagnosed around 6 months ago. With my husband on board we are a 100% gluten free household. After a summer vacation with another family I found that there are so many potential cross contaminations that can possibly occur when there is a shared kitchen. I feel so lucky in that we don't have to worry at home but understand there is a lot of work for the parent preparing food for a celiac child. If you haven't yet researched about ways to keep the celiac disease kitchen/food separate I would definitely get that in order.  The kids were just retested and their TTG numbers after 6 months were cut in 1/2 for my 9yo who was most effected by celiac disease, and down by 75% for my 6yo. With this confirmation I feel that we're on the right track with our diet along with overall feeling 100% better. With that being said, my 9yo has always been on the low end of the growth charts, I too was hoping that he would really take off once we changed our diets. I feel that he has only begun to grow in the last month or so. He's up 1-1/2" and about 1 Lb. His GI doc was a not concerned at this point but reminded him to eat his meals and encouraged me to give him high calorie, high protein to his diet.  Best of luck!
    • I was diagnosed with celiacs disease last year by blood test and endoscopy.   I was originally trying to find out why I kept getting these mysterious rashes..... Which led to the diagnosis of celiacs however that is not the causes of my rashes, go figure.  I have read through all of the symptoms of celiacs and as I do have joint pain and allergies, anxiety and depression, some bloating, I was never bothered by them before I was diagnosed.  Since going gluten-free for about a year now all of the symptoms have gotten worse.  I am more depressed.... And have been in physical therapy all year for different joint pains.  So I'm not seeing any Improvement at all.  If I never went to the doctors to find out what the rash was for in the first place I would have never found out about celiacs disease.  So my question is what is the point of going gluten-free if I never have symptoms that I haven't learned to deal with to begin with.  It's only causing me more depression anxiety and causing me to eat more sugar because it's the only thing I can find I can eat.  Help!   I have been excluded from invitations to go out with friends.  If I make plans to go anywhere I have to research to find out if I can eat there or where I'll be able to eat.  My life is now revolving around eating and cooking and preparing my food.   Right now I'd much rather live a happy life I don't care if I died 10 years earlier.  
    • So, where to begin... I was officially diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 2.5 years ago and have been trying to fully heal since then. I knew prior that I had celiac disease but didn't know how serious being gluten free needed to be if you have it. My intestines got so damaged that I had no energy (needed about 12 hours of sleep a day when I normally would sleep 8) and could barely function. I ended up having to quit my job because of how much time I had missed (had used all FMLA, vacation, etc) and spent about 5-6 months recovering till I had enough energy to work a 32 hour/week job but even then was calling out because of gluten exposure. The biggest problem for me has been Rx medication. Food has been hardly an issue at all, at least in comparison. I currently take 2 types of prescriptions and have had problems with both over the past 2.5 years; Hypothyroid medication (T3/T4) & SSRI for depression/energy. I used to go between Paxil and Cymbalta. I would be on one for about 9 months, switch to the other, and repeat (because of the immune system's "short term memory"). I've had a lot of trouble with generic brands and more recently have been using only name brands because they are the only ones now that are listed as Gluten Free on glutenfreedrugs.com, but, now I seem to be having problems with them as well. My doctor has told me that I'm very sensitive to gluten (I think she said I've ranged from an 8-12?). I'm not sure what scale she was referring to, but I know I'm very sensitive based on how my body's reacted to the smallest amount of gluten. When I ingest gluten, my body seems to react by my gallbladder producing a lot more bile (this is most noticeable about 8 hours after I consume gluten), which causes me to have severe diarrhea for about a week (it's basically all liquid). I take my Rx medications everyday, so it's non-stop diarrhea, which makes it hard to stay hydrated. The more water I drink, the more I just end up ****ing it out. I've been taking Benadryl at night because I heard it can help with upset stomach for people with celiac disease. Before I started taking the Benadryl at night I was waking up after about 6 hours of sleeping with extreme stomach pain (too much bile in my stomach?) and having to rush to the bathroom, and would be in there for about an hour. I'm very in tune to knowing when I'm getting gluten exposure for 2 reasons: 1) the slightest amount will cause my stool to get softer and I can smell a difference when I go to the bathroom (my guess is it's from the bile, which has a strong odor), and 2) the amount of long acting insulin required for me per day is less depending on how damaged my small intestines are (I have type 1 Diabetes). I started taking Cymbalta 60 mg about 2 weeks ago and notice severe gluten exposure. I was on it for about 5 days and stopped taking it for a day to see if the symptoms lessened and I couldn't see a difference from only a day. I tried to stop taking it for 2 days but the withdrawl symptoms were too severe (intense sadness/hopelessness, strong suicidal thoughts, etc) and I don't even remember if the gluten exposure symptoms lessened because I could barely function mentally. I'm pretty sure that's where the gluten is coming from because it was the biggest change at the time. I had actually switched from a generic Cymbalta (duloxetine by Mylan) slightly early from my 9 month usual switch because I was having gluten symptoms (at the time, glutenfreedrugs.com listed it on their list but soon changed it to "now questionable"). I'm currently trying Zoloft (been on it for about 3 days now) and the gluten symptoms seem to be slightly less but I won't know for at least another few days. Plus, I don't know if it's actually going to work for me (depression wise). I was going between Paxil & Cymbalta for about 15 years and they were working for me very well (as far as depression) up until recently (because of gluten). I know I've tried Celexa, Lexipro, & Wellbutrin in the past and cannot take them because they either make things worse or the negative side effects outweigh the benefits. I may have tried another type or two of SSRI but it's been so long that I can't remember for sure. I'm making this post to try and get some advice, or even just words of encouragement, on any generic Rx versions of Cymbalta (and Paxil as well, but I won't be taking it for a while so it's less relevant at this point) that people have recently had success with. I've searched online & this site but haven't been able to find anything recent about these medications (most of the posts I've found are from many years ago). I'm scared. Scared of all the times I want to kill myself in any given day because of not taking an SSRI to try and reduce the gluten exposure. Scared that things will get as bad as they've gotten before and I will have to quit my job again. Scared to cry because I'll become even more dehydrated and may not be able to keep fluid in me because of my body is currently not being able to absorb water the way I need it to. The past 3 years have been really tough and I don't really know where to turn at this point. Sorry if this post isn't the most organised. I'm currently an emotional wreck while typing this and at least trying to get out all the important info. Here is a list of new things I've been eating in case someone reads this and sees something they've had problems with that might (also?) be causing gluten issues:
      Schär Gluten Free Artisan Baker Multigrain Bread (to try and soak up some of the bile, but with constant gluten exposure this doesn't help much)
      Ensure Original Nutrition Shake (says Gluten Free on it)
      Benadryl
    • As long as her celiac disease is not active, she should in theory perform just fine.   I would be curious as to how you are handling her food while at college.  Can the school safely accommodate her?  I would love to hear about your experience in finding a college that meets your daughter's needs and abilities while maintaining her health.  I have a daughter who will soon be in college and I am sure others on the forum would benefit from your advice.  Not much has been discussed here or in the media about this subject.    
    • Oh...are you a smoker?  That can slow down healing.  
  • Upcoming Events