This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tachycardia

Booghead

Booghead Contributor

Most of you know that I have had fluctuating thyroid and stomach pain. Not to mention inability to sleep.

Last doctor appointment (3 or so weeks ago) I had a high heart rate. I am now doing a gym class where we have to take our heart rates. I took it after sitting at my desk for 30 minutes and mine was 114. For a 17 year old that is fairly high "best range" being 60-80. So I have taken it several more times over and over and I finally took it right when I woke up this morning and it was 114. As soon as I woke up ( no alarm). I have a feeling this is why I can't hardly sleep.

I took it after doing cardio in gym for 10 minutes as well. That result was 150. Only 10 minutes of cardio and I had waited 30 minutes to take it.

We are trying to get in to my very good family doctor (who we should have seen to begin with) but he is retiring this year and he is very booked. It is a possibility that I won't be able to get in until March. I was wondering if you guys know anything about Tachycardia and whether I should see a different doctor instead if he can't get me in until march.

Keep in mind that it has been high 3 weeks now. I took it right now and it is about 94.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

caa0827 Newbie

Interesting. Do you currently have Celiac Disease? Or is that what you are trying to find out. I was just tested today, so not sure yet, but I was only 19 when I had a sudden onset of Tachycardia. Seen a cardiologist who did a 24hr halter monitor, and knew for certain that my heart rate was way above where it should be, but could not find anything wrong. He put me on meds to find slow it down, which worked and eventually I was able to get off the meds without my heart rate going through the roof. Besides that, I had a pulmonary stress test which showed I have problems taking in a deep breath. Nobody could ever find a cause and it was put off by most doctors as Anxiety. I however, always insisted it was something more, but nothing ever came back positive. I started researching Celiac because I believe my daughter might have it, and I realized I have some of the symptoms as well.

Not sure if a family dr. is the right one to see, but is a good start. If you can't see him, maybe he could recommend a cardiologist for you to see in the mean time?

Skylark Collaborator

That's a classic sign of hyperthyroidism as is the insomnia. If I were you, I'd book with the good doctor in March, but also get in to see whoever you can ASAP. There are antithyroid meds and beta blockers that you can be given that can help your symptoms and that tachycardia can't be good for your heart. They might also want to test you for Graves'. You don't have TPO antibodies, right?

Booghead Contributor

Crappy Doctor said the TPO tests were normal. My TSH levels have never been under 2.5 so still pretty high for graves disease. But my T4 was off the chart in the high direction.

We managed to get an appointment with the good doctor on Wednesday. I've been recording my heart rate when I wake up for the doctor to see when we go in on Wednesday. Well see what he says, I don't know if I'm bad enough to see a cardiologist. Of course my good family doctor will tell us whether I should or not.

I had a really rough night last night. I tossed and turned and could not get back to sleep from 3 to 5:30 and woke up again at 6:30 when I got up. I'm also not feeling very good today ( head ache, sore legs, "sour" stomach). I'm really excited to see a doctor who I know is committed to finding out what is wrong and helping me out in the meantime. I'm thinking the reason I have a hard time sleeping is because I can't get my heart rate under 90.

Any who I'm glad we got in on Wednesday. Hopefully I don't die in the meantime lol, jk. :P

Roda Rising Star

I had horrible tachycardia when my ferritin was in the toilet. Have you had a full iron panel and ferritin test? If your thyroid is hyper then you could have tachycardia from that also. You need to find a good endocrinologist. If that checks out fine then maybe a cardiologist.

My normal resting heart rate is higher than the average and I'm very sensitive to anything that stimulates the heart. It is not unusual for me to have a resting heartrate of 90 or so.

I hope you can sort things out soon. Have you considered trying the gluten free diet again? It might bring you some relief. You may not be celiac, but there are plenty of people with gluten intolerance that are affected just as much.

Skylark Collaborator

I'm glad to hear you got the good doctor. Good luck!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

My resting heart rate has been over 115 for a LONG time!

When I mentioned it to my PCP she didn't think anything of it. I also have a lot of trouble sleeping.

I hope you'll post what you find out?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Booghead Contributor

Yea I will post what i find out!

mommida Enthusiast

There is a stage in Hashimotos thyroiditis (normally considered underactive thyroid function) where the thyroid is actually OVER active.

As the immune system is attacking the thyroid the thyroid is trying to fight back. This can result in radical changes in your blood tests.

Archived