This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Good Bread Mix

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

Since I sub for a single class at a local college I don't work often, but today is one of my lucky days I get to spend sharing my wealth of knowledge. Okay, it isn't that illustrious, I actually just sit at a desk reading my ebooks and waiting for people to have questions. Anyway, in the past I've always brought a sandwich for lunch with some fruit or something. It's always just the right thing to get me through my day and to dinner without feeling like I may gnaw off my arm before I go home.

Today, instead of a sandwich I am enjoying a salad and chocolate tapioca pudding. (which is divine by the way) Why? Because yesterday I wanted a sandwich for lunch and didn't consider the fact that I was using my last two slices of bread. All of the local stores that carry Udi's close at midnight or earlier and I didn't realize until about 15 minutes past midnight that I have no bread in the house. When I got to the closest 24 hour store the only bread they had was $7 and I almost died right there in the aisle. Instead I picked up a mix which turned out to be awful. (Okay, not totally inedible but certainly not anything I can make a sandwich with.)

The bread I got and liked was Udi's whole grain and I am wondering what mixes anyone could recommend that would be similar in texture and taste. I do intend to learn to make bread without a mix but for now I want to see what sorts of things I like before I start experimenting. Any suggestions for what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I tried a bunch of gluten-free bread mixes. My favorites were Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Bread and Hearty Whole Grain mixes. The Hearty Whole Grain is good enough that "glutenoids" will eat it. Unfortunately, while I really like the flavor I think the texture is kind of crumbly for sandwiches. I would usually bring a slice of bread and a hunk of cheese packed separately. I haven't found a mix that makes bread that holds together for sandwiches the way Udi's does.

Brenna'sMom Newbie

My family really likes Pamela's bread mix. It is wonderful and just right for sandwiches, imo. I have a pan in the oven as we speak.

kitgordon Explorer

I like Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread. Even my gluten-eating daughter loves that.

mamaw Community Regular

Anna's bread mix... is wonderful

We also enjoy making wraps with sandwich petals, they have three flavors too..

Celiac specialties has a Croissant roll to die for ...

Schar & three bakers both have good sub buns

Adalaide Mentor

Croissants!?! I never imagined I'd have one again, breakfast sandwiches were the farthest thing from my mind until 10 seconds ago.

Thanks for the tips on what everyone likes. It's all well and good to read what I can find on the manufacturer websites but they're only gonna say what they need to say to sell me bread mix. I much prefer to trust the opinions of people who aren't after my money.

come dance with me Enthusiast

I buy one called Easy Baker which is nice, but not sure if it's available there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

For a quick, fresh, homemade gluten free bun, nothing beats a customized, "bun-'n-a-cup" baked in the microwave in a small bowl, ramekin, or soup cup, made out of ingredients you chose yourself.

I have been meaning to try this with the Pamela's mix, and just made one that worked beautifully.

Pamela Bun- in-a- Cup

use a scant 1/2 cup of Pamela's gluten-free Pancake Mix

dry:

a pinch of baking soda

a wee pinch of cream of tartar

a scant sprinkle of salt

any spices or flavorings you would like, such as cumin, cinnamon, Chinese 5 spice, anise, sesame, or poppyseed, cocoa powder or grated citrus peel, optional.

__

wet:

in a bowl put:

about a teaspoon of olive oil to a tablespoon, depending on taste and how moist/dry you prefer

1/2 teaspoon of pure apple cider vinegar

a tiny glop of molasses, optional

honey to taste, or any other sweetener, about a half teaspoon, optional

1 egg

beat the wet ingredients together

Add the dry Pamela's mixture to it, then add more water and mix as needed to get a wet dough, this will depend on the size of the egg, about 1 to 2 tablespoons water.

place the dough in a small, lightly oiled ramekin, miniature single serving casserole dish, large flat soup mug or cereal bowl.

microwave for 1 minute on high. Test for doneness by pressing with finger, should be springy, then take a table knife and stick it in, seeing that when the knife is still dry. Some deep round bowls take longer. Keep microwaving in 15 second increments until done.

Makes 1 bun

_____

note: altho the Pamela's mixes already do have leavening, adding a tiny bit more helps this recipe as it cooks so quickly.

Archived