This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recently Diagnosed But Ready To Take It On!

MzPlaz

MzPlaz Newbie

Hi All! I was recently diagnosed and am currently in the "Gluten Free Flu" stage is what I'll call it. I am looking forward to getting to know others that are on this journey and learn alot!

Anyone else here in the Northern Virginia area?

I see ALOT of gluten-free items out there, but many have said to steer clear as they don't taste so good. Any tips on what does taste good?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

Welcome MzPlaz!!

Ask lots of questions . . . we have lots of answers . . . although sometimes conflicting ;) but you'll figure out what works best for you.

Whatcha got a hankerin' for?

Just a few of my daughter's faves: Tinkyada pasta, Glutino pretzels, Kinnikinnick glazed donuts, pancakes from Pamela's Pancake mix, Betty Crocker gluten-free Brownies, Udi's white bread, Udi's pizza crust, Udi's blueberry muffins...

Love your attitude!!

researchmomma Contributor

Welcome to the Board.

Do you have a Trader Joes' nearby? All their gluten-free stuff has a g+ on it. Fabulous. They even have some frozen lunch entrees that are gluten-free. Also their gluten-free pasta spirals are good too and CHEAP.

My daughter loves all of Darn210s suggestions except she prefers the Snyder's Gluten Free Pretzels. Her friends love them too (gluten eaters). Udi's pizza crust is so good that now my gluten eating son wants it.

Oh and I was surprised but she loves the Glutinos crackers. I think they are pretty good too. She recently got sick and wanted chicken soup and crackers. Whew, glad she liked them.

I always have Better Than Bouillon on hand. I sometimes make her quick chicken soup with that broth, cut up chicken and pasta spirals.

I also just made my first gluten-free bread at home. It was so easy and super good. I was a bit surprised (it was GOOD not gluten-free good!)

This is a great group of folks! Congrats on your road to health!

jeanzdyn Apprentice

Kinnikinnick makes an excellent pizza crust for personal pizzas (it measures about 5 inches x 6 inches). I would buy these pizza crusts even if I did not need to be gluten-free --they are delicious!!!

Also, check out the Amy's line of frozen foods and soups. Be sure to read the labels carefully though, as not all of Amy's products are gluten free.

You have the right attitude going into this! I was diagnosed this past November and I have to say that it has not been as tough as I thought it would be. A lot of the gluten free products I have tried are quite good.

I also recommend Annie Chun Pad Thai Gluten Free Rice Noodles, which I used in chicken soup. They are very good noodles.

A lot of it will have to be trial and error on your part. I have found that some gluten free food items are either very bland or just not very good at all.

I have tried Glutino gluten free penne alfredo and it was just awful!! like wet cardboard with milk poured over it!!! I will be making my own alfredo sauce in future and use rice noodles.

I also tried a gluten free soup, cream of chicken, and that was pretty bad too. I hear that a lot of gluten free soups are not very tasty. I make my own soups in a crock pot, so I can season to my own taste.

Good luck and let's meet back here and compare notes later!!

TaraMooreMichelle Newbie

Favorite gluten-free items.....

1. Gluten Free Cinnamon Rice Chex.

2. Amy's gluten-free Teriyaki Bowl (which is also dairy free). I add a little butter for taste.

3. Udi gluten-free bread - both are good but I think the whole grain (gluten-free) is a little better for you. Udi also makes a good gluten-free bagel that is good.

4. If you have a Trader Joe's near you they make a great gluten-free pancake that you can put in the toaster.

5. Whole Foods has a gluten-free battered halibut that is really good.

6. Knickanickk (sp?) - makes a good gluten-free Blueberry muffin that is good too.

7. Crunchmaster makes a gluten-free cracker in "Rosemary & Olive Oil" flavor and "Roasted Garlic" flavor - they are really good!

8. Bakery on Main makes a gluten-free "Nutty Cranberry Maple Granola", tastes good in milk or just dry as a healthy snack.

9. Pacific Foods makes a nice Creamy Organic tomato soup to dip your tuna sandwich in - it is sooo good!!

10. Pamela's chocolate brownie mix is a must as it is AWESOME!!!!

More to follow - have to run out an dpick up my 3rd grader at school....................

Celiac Disease diagnosis in November 1991, Salem Hospital, Salem, Mass.

TaraMooreMichelle Newbie

Oh and if you have a Natural Food Warehouse near you - they have about 43% of their inventory listed as gluten-free. The Lundberg Alfredo Risotto is gluten-free and I like the Parmesan Cheese one.

Also Udi makes really good hamburger buns and hotdog buns. If you Google Udi gluten free products it will probably take you directly to their site.

Amy's also makes a nice gluten-free Rice crusted frozen cheese pizza that is good, I add a little more shredded cheese on top and some black pepper - yum!!!

Also - as far as drinking goes - AB makes a gluten-free beer called Red Bridge - it is kindof like a Red Micro brew and I think it is one of the better ones. Also Blue Ice makes a 100% gluten-free vodka.

Glutino Cherry flavored breakfast bars are good for on the go - not awesome but it will get you through breakfast and not bad considering all the other ones I have tried.

EnviroKidz makes the Peanut Panda Puffs cereal which is also really good.

Watch out for your shampoo - make sure it is gluten-free too. Try Desert Essence for a good gluten-free facial wash and it is reasonable & not super expensive.

Not sure if it is true for all envelopes but just don't lick any envelopes closed - use a sponge.

I am not dairy free but as I get older I am wondering if dairy is going to become an issue for me. I love my Organic FF - sooooo much!!!

I also drink the Dan Actives (3oz. containers) - in the yogurt section of the grocery store. Blueberry and Strawberry are my favorite - good probiotics are always helpful. I am told that we need extra folic acid, magnesium, potassium, etc..... Find a good gluten-free multi vitamin and remember to remind the Dr.'s and pharmacists that your medication can not have a Gluten coating (some pills do).

Just pay attention to your body - when you need rest, make sure you get it. If you are an anxious person, try to avoid very stressful situations - stress is never good and although our bodies think we can handle it - our bodies typically beg to differ. You have an auto immune disease and you need to take good care of yourself. Cheating is NOT worth it!!! My sister (an RN) had me over for her son's 10th birthday - there was cake and as always - I passed on it. She came over to me with a little bit of cake on it and said "come on, just a bite won't kill you". It was a happy moment for her son and for her - I nicely said "no, really, I don't want it". My family (I feel) - has little regard for me having celiac disease. Friends (on the other hand) - are extremely supportive and helpful and go out of their way to accomodate. I do not expect it but it sure is nice when someone goes that extra mile for you. I have gotten used to bringing my food with me in situations where I know I am going to be at a loss if I don't bring my own food.

There is a powder called "CALM" -it is a magnesium supplement - very helpful for sleep. If you have trouble sleeping - this may help. Start out adding maybe half of what they say to add - to your water - I like the Raspberry Lemon flavor. Make sure it is easy on your stomach and if so, then work your way up to the full amount the bottle indicates.

I am 41, have been living with celiac disease since the age of 21. It is not easy but it is a healthy way to live, in my opinion.

You can do this and you will heal and you will be better for it.

Take care and God Bless.

kareng Grand Master

Just want to mention the envelope thing, once again. It is a Celiac myth. But it's still gross to lick them. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MzPlaz Newbie

You guys ROCK! Thank you sooo much for all of the tips! Funny thing is I started a new way of eating on 1Dec...all whole grains! Wow who knew! But here I am and am so glad to be diagnosed and know what I am dealing with now!!

Thanks again! I'm going to print all of these suggestions out and go shopping!!

Judy

BCSherry Newbie

Hi All! I was recently diagnosed and am currently in the "Gluten Free Flu" stage is what I'll call it. I am looking forward to getting to know others that are on this journey and learn alot!

Anyone else here in the Northern Virginia area?

I see ALOT of gluten-free items out there, but many have said to steer clear as they don't taste so good. Any tips on what does taste good?

Thanks!

Hey I like most Schar products. Just bought some Schars pizza crusts. Also like Udi's products. Bisquick makes a gluten-free mix that is really good for making many things. Chex makes several cereals that are gluten-free, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.lol. Perfer Hodgson Mill cake mixes over Betty Crocker. Conrad Rice Mill has LOTS of gluten-free products. www.holgrain.com I really like their chili seasoning mix. Authemtic foods has some good flour blends, one cup equals one cup of flour. This helps with my old recipes. The book "Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide 201/2012" has been a BIG help. I no longer have to read every label! This can be found @ www.CeceliasMarketplace.com. Hope this helps. BCSherry

MzPlaz Newbie

Thanks again for all of the posts. There is a Trader Joes by my office that I plan on hitting this weekend! The thing I miss the most are crackers and granola bars. But it looks like there are some fine options out there!

Smiles,

Judy

• 1 month later...
JustNana Apprentice

I am a relative newbie too. (less than 8 weeks gluten-free. I had NO interest I trying a bunch of yucky fake food either. My only two big reasons for grief were 1. Whadaya mean I can't have toast with my morning egg ? And 2. Uhhh, I'm Italian. I have to eat pasta!

Well, we were at Trader Joe's with our son and granddaughter and my son kept pointing out products labeled gluten-free. I just shook my head and put on my "this is hard but I'm bei g a trooper" face. He tossed a loaf of bread in the cart anyway. It was Udi's multi grain. (Didn't even look good). The next morning I toasted a slice, plopped my egg on it and took a reluctant bite. It was...TERRIfIC!

Then my daughter had us over for dinner and served rigatoni. She had warned she was making me a special dinner and I thought Oh goody, everyone gets real pasta and she'll serve my sauce on rice. But no, she brought the huge platter in all sauced and Parmaseaned. I eyed it with skepticism but, determined to be an only slightly martyred good sport I took a bite. The pasta was al dente with great body and it was...DELICIOUS. I have since bought 6 pkgs of Bionaturae pasta and enjoy it regularly. And don't have to serve my family anything different. They all agree it tastes just like normal pasta, even the grandkids and Papa.

So experiment. You are going to do really well. If you find something you really like please share. I'd love to talk to you often. Let's stay in touch and learn from each other and the wonderful people on these threads! :-)

JustNana Apprentice

One more product that I love. I have served these with cheese or spreads and everyone loves them. Crunchmasters crackers. I love the originals but there are other flavors. The best prices I have found for gluten-free food and for supplements is online at VITACOST. And Amazon has whole sections just for us!!!

JustNana Apprentice

ResearchMama

I love Better than Bouillion! Have used it for years. I am having gluten-free pizza tonite at my daughters, but think the brand is Rustic something or other. So glad to hear about the Udi's. I love their multi grain bread toasted. Like you say "it's good, not just gluten-free good."

You and scores of others on here are helping newbies like me more than you can know.

Thank you

JustNana Apprentice

BCSherry

Bisquick mKes a gluten-free??? I didn't know. Thaanks!!!

Archived