This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Vs Intolerance + G6Pd

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

Wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if it's the wrong board.

I've been trying to read more about Gluten Intolerance, and whether there's a difference between it and Celiac but couldn't find a good answer. Anyone know of a good web site explaining that or could try explaining here?

I also just found out I have G6PD, but not sure how much it's effecting me yet (might just be a carrier). Anyone else here who has G6PD symptoms and celiac? How do you cope without beans and soya?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Katrala Contributor

Yes, there is a difference. There's also wheat allergies.

Pretty much, non-celiac gluten intolerance doesn't cause the same damage to the small intestines that celiac disease does.

There hasn't been enough research on NCGI, although there has been a push for more research to be done on it.

Regardless, a gluten-free diet is the current answer (or a wheat-free in the case of wheat allergies.)

Yes, there is a difference. There's also wheat allergies.

Pretty much, non-celiac gluten intolerance doesn't cause the same damage to the small intestines that celiac disease does.

There hasn't been enough research on NCGI, although there has been a push for more research to be done on it.

Regardless, a gluten-free diet is the current answer (or a wheat-free in the case of wheat allergies.)

So people with NCGI are able to absorb nutrients but just can't tolerate gluten?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

So people with NCGI are able to absorb nutrients but just can't tolerate gluten?

Not always. You also have to factor in celiacs who show up with a false negative on blood tests, they are usually labeled NCGI. I am a celiac who had years of false negative blood tests so some might consider me NCGI (my doctors consider me diagnosed as celiac) and you can see the damage that was done in my signature.

Katrala Contributor

Yes, typically.

There are plenty of undiagnosed people, of course. With both NCGI and Celiac.

Kamma Explorer

Morning.

I've been doing more reading of the research studies that are coming out in gluten sensitivity/NCGI. They point to that the antibodies that are created in response to gluten attack other parts of the body, like the brain, not (just) the intestine. It also seems to involve a different immune response: NCGI respond with the innate immunity and Celiacs respond with adaptive immunity which is more specific.

"In the new study, researchers compared blood samples and intestinal biopsies from 42 subjects with confirmed celiac disease, 26 with suspected gluten sensitivity and 39 healthy controls. Those with gluten sensitivity didn't have the flattened villi, or the "leaky" intestinal walls seen in the subjects with celiac disease.

Their immune reactions were different, too. In the gluten-sensitive group, the response came from innate immunity, a primitive system with which the body sets up barriers to repel invaders. The subjects with celiac disease rallied adaptive immunity, a more sophisticated system that develops specific cells to fight foreign bodies."

Open Original Shared Link

..and I would agree with Ravenwoodglass. The medical profession (well, researchers anyway :P ) seem to just be beginning to stumble on evidence on the whole spectrum of how gluten affects the body and there isn't a rigid, one size fits all explanation.

mommida Enthusiast

Thank you for posting that link. I remember years ago someone had said their grandfather seemed to fit Celiac diagnoses. When the grandfather died they did an autopsy, and found damage to the outside of the intestines. Doctors had to rethink the Celiac diagnoses.

You should never get the impression that gluten intolerance isn't as serious as Celiac. The body is being harmed by gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks for the insight everyone. I tried reading about NCGI but couldn't find anything definitive so thought I'd ask here. Was the right thing to do :-)

Makes me wonder which category my family falls under. My dad has diabetes, thyroid problems, joint inflammation, chronic constipation, and rashes, but he's tall, overweight and has thick bones.

I'm not officially diagnosed myself but I'm positive all my issues are caused by gluten through trial and error. No doctor has taken me seriously so I'm not sure I can get an official diagnosis, specially since it would be too hard for me to go back to eating gluten.

Skylark Collaborator

My understanding is that chronic intestinal inflammation is enough to cause some degree of malabsorption. It doesn't take total villous atrophy. People with Crohn's and ulcerative colitis typically have high fecal fat and can have vitamin deficiencies. My mom is NCGI, negative blood & biopsy, and has been B12 deficient for years. She also has borderline anemia, poor bone density, and did not digest fats well until she went off gluten. I don't think you typically see the profound malabsorption that leads to wasting in NCGI though.

As far as understanding celiac vs. NCGI, Fasano just wrote a brand-new review article and it's available for free.

Kamma Explorer

As far as understanding celiac vs. NCGI, Fasano just wrote a brand-new review article and it's available for free.

Skylark! You are a peach! That link/research article is fantastic. Thank you very much.

:)

Skylark Collaborator

Glad it was helpful. I'm awfully happy to have someone as good as Fasano working on celiac and NCGI!

researchmomma Contributor

I don't think you typically see the profound malabsorption that leads to wasting in NCGI though.

This is probably true, yet my daughter is NCGI (although they refused biopsy due to negative blood work and no genes) and she is off the growth charts (less than zero percentile). They don't think she has ulcerative colitis or Crohn's. I think it is the gluten but we will see. Her hair is starting to grow in and her skin tone went from gray to pink in 6 weeks.

Because of Dr. Fasano's work, I think NCGI will bust wide open within the next few years. I just hope it isn't the "disease du jour", like IBS was. It would be nice to have definitive testing for it. Probably a pipe dream.

To the OP, good luck on your journey to better health.

Archived