This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Recipes

Guest Shirley Whitley

Guest Shirley Whitley

OK guys, this new format takes a little getting used to. I hope you all come back. Last night I tried the Mayacamas spicey pasta mix and ad libbed it. I used chopped up veggies, plus slivered skirt steak and added the pasta mix with a little tomato sauce with a corn spaghetti and it was wonderful. Very easy and quick and tasted just great. :blink: Shirley in San Diego

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

balanc Newbie

:rolleyes: Shirley in San Diego,

Are you the same Shirley who posted as "aramgard" in the former message board? If so, I am glad to see you back. I only posted several times but I read most of the messages once I discovered the site. When the message board format was changed, I was so disappointed that I might lose sight of yours and several others' sage advice. This site has been my lifeline since I was diagnosed about a year ago. It has helped me tremendously.

Flo in East Wenatchee, Washington

Guest aramgard

Yes Flo, I am the same Shirley. Aramgard was the name my mother wanted to name me when I was born and my dad wouldn't let her. So in her honor I chose that handle. Silly isn't it? Don't ever feel alone with Celiac we are all here to help. :rolleyes:

gf4life Enthusiast

That's kinda cool, Shirley. Any idea where your mom got the name? It is very unique.

And that dish you posted sounds good. Where do you get the pasta mix?

Mariann

midnightjewel40 Newbie

;) hi there

i put a chocolate cheese cake recipe in the gluten free baking section you might want o check out it is beautiful i made it for christmas and i think i nearly ate the whole thing and any recipes you have in the way of sweets or ckes and slices i would be happy to have thanks jacque :rolleyes:

wclemens Newbie

Hi Shirley, how are you? What is happening with your daughter and son-in-law? I saw a picture and story in the paper about a family in Harbison Canyon, and how they had fought to move in a trailer. I read the story, thinking it might be your family.

What an intriguing thought, that your mother wanted to name you Aramgard--we've got to know more about that!

Jacque, I have been wanting to find a cheese cake for my grand-daughters, who I believe might be celiac disease, so I will search until I find your recipe.

Thanks to all for your input. Welda

Guest aramgard

Hi Welda, I'm much better, though my husband got a really bad cold and now has bronchitis so I'm hoping I don't get sick again. My daughter and her husband ended up getting an RV which they can drive in and out of the canyon and are now living back on their property. My son-in-law works for Cal-Trans and they have been allowing him to work from 2 to about 10 at night so he has mornings to work on the property. I think he's burning the candle at both ends. Sherie is beginning to get her act together and feeling better about the whole thing, except that rain was a little stressing, they only had a minor mud slide. If it ain't one thing it's another. That's life I guess, either fire or flood. I used to order Mayacama products over the Celiac Mall, but last week I found them at Henry's and was absolutely thrilled. :rolleyes: You might check out, I think it may still be Boney's in north county. Welcome Back, Shirley

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest aramgard

Welda, I reread the Mayacama label last night and found that some of it has Whey which I don't think you can eat--sorry. I'm really glad I'm beginning to tolerate some milk products and can still tolerate eggs, because being without fish and shellfish is a real downer for me. Shirley

Guest shar4

Hi everybody!! I'm trying to come up with new things that I can actually eat. I loved pretzels BC (Before Celiac), but now, obviously, I can't eat them. I'm adjusting much better than I thought I would to this no gluten thing. But it is a learning curve, and, being newly diagnosed, I am just beginning to climb that curve.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated, and I'm open to emails because it is soooo nice to know that I'm not ALONE :P !!!!

Any way thanks for any ideas

sharon

angel-jd1 Community Regular

As far as pretzles go...a company called Ener-G makes a wheat free/gluten free pretzel. They aren't bad at all. I actually like them better than regular pretzles. They are kind of expensive, but sure helps for the cravings!! Enjoy!!

-Jessica :D

mg5676 Newbie

I am newly diagnosed with gluten intolerance, it's WONDERFUL to find this message board! I've been doing okay finding gluten free foods in my area, but one thing I can't find is a good bread. I want to be able to just buy a loaf of bread like I used to, and I want to be able to make sandwiches with it. I tried a rice pecan bread, but it was quite hard & sweet, & not great tasting to me. Plus the slices were tiny. Or do I just have to get used to making bread now? This is quite the learning process for me, although it's only been 3 weeks & I feel so much better already being gluten free! Any ideas are really appreciated!

seeking-wholeness Explorer

mg5676,

Are you referring to Food for Life brand bread? It's the best bread I have tried so far, but then I happen to like a slightly sweet flavor to my breads. Have you tried warming up the bread slightly (10-20 seconds in the microwave)? This improves the texture dramatically. Just be sure you don't overheat the bread, or it will turn gummy! Yes, the slices are tiny, but have you compared the calorie count to regular bread? You wouldn't want a much bigger slice (unless you are really skinny, of course)! gluten-free breads are also rather fragile and do better when made in smaller loaves. I haven't tried baking my own gluten-free bread yet, but it is always an option. Good luck, and enjoy experimenting!

Archived