This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie Wants To Say Thank You

RuskitD

RuskitD Rookie

I have made an account today so that I can say thank you to all the members who have so generously shared their experiences here. Without you, I would feel as if I had lost my mind.

I never really understood the concept of a support group. I felt it was a place to whine about your issues. I am perhaps, tougher than most. I am used to dealing with life on my own, and in my own way.

But after being so sick, and the doctors not helping beyond offering drugs to manage my symptoms, instead of helping find what was causing them...... my physical and mental weakness wore me down.

Doing Google searches of my symptoms consistently led me to this forum, and another testimonial that sounded as if I wrote it!

After reading others personal experiences, I 'tested' myself, and without a doubt, I am, at the least Gluten Intolerant. I am adopting the lifestyle.

I shudder to think I almost let the doctors drug me. Which would have meant a lifetime of chemicals in my body, ON TOP of my poisoning myself with gluten!

When I caught myself with tears of relief in my eyes while reading here... I knew I had to log in and say a personal thank you to each of you AND I now understand the concept of a support group.

Knowing people can empathize with my situation, who REALLY know what I going through, means so very much!

I don't have any questions right now. Any I have come with have already been asked and answered. But knowing I have a place to find my answer lifts a huge burden off my shoulders!

~Blessing to all of you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

Welcome!

The other really awesome part of this group is that you can ask ANY question and there are plenty of really knowledgable peeps here who can answer it!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board. Glad we were able to be of some help to you. Please feel free to ask any questions you need to ask.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Hello..and welcome!

The people that have "walked a mile in your shoes" understand what it's like to feel terrible and not get answers as to why.

The knowledge here is outstanding, and the support is wonderful. Most people can't truly understand how you feel as you go through the illness and how to deal with it? The people here "get it".

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Thank you for writing that post. I've felt what you wrote at least a thousand times. When I found this place I had been sitting on the couch or sleeping for 5 long sick years...and was drugged out on "Fibromyalgia" meds and pain killers for my My Grain headaches. It was a nightmare...from which I awoke about a year ago when I found this place and other stories like mine. I was so relieved that there were other people like me too. In one year, my muscles came back, my mind came back, and my health came back. Yours will too. Welcome to the lifestyle and the rest of your life! It's been just wonderful to watch myself age backwards! I hope it happens to you too!

mushroom Proficient

As you have all said, we have all walked a mile or two in your shoes, and I myself lurked on here for at least three months before I summoned the courage to make a peep :rolleyes: Welcome to the board, and I hope you can also share your experiences with others who are lost. :)

researchmomma Contributor

Welcome to the Board. Mostly, welcome to gaining your health back.

I also lurked for about a month. When I posted my daughter's symptoms and how many different drugs the "ologists" wanted to put her on, the posters above and a few more jumped in and rescued my sanity (more than once I might add).

I am also grateful. Sometimes I read a post by someone who is as lost and scared as I was and it brings tears to my eyes.

My doctors didn't diagnose my daughter, the peeps on this board did.

I am glad you shared your thoughts!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RuskitD Rookie

Thank you again and for the warm welcome!!!!

I had the best afternoon of a couple years yesterday! For a few hours I was energetic and clear headed, and giddy because of that feeling! I do owe it to every poster here! Those who asked questions and those who helped them find the answers! Which also became my answers!

I am far from 100%... Whoa, wait~ who knows what my 100% might be?!?!?! This morning I had to return to bed and sleep 6 extra hours. Without what I read here, that would have made me depressed, that I again slept half the day. In reading, I know I will have ups and downs as my body detoxs and heals at the same time, and resting is just a process to me being well!

I swore to my husband as I lay incopacitated and barely coherent, that if I ever got better I was going to enjoy life to the fullest, and no longer live an existance!

I am able to steal full moments already!

again and again...

thank you and blessings to you!

nmull #newly diagnosed Newbie

I too want to say Thank you! Even for your last post about sleeping. I Have been gluten-free two Weeks now and I feel like im Going thru withdrawals. I Have beat myself up for sleeping so much this week but knowing others went and are Going thru the same thing lets me know im not alone

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

If you need a nap..take one. Your body does more healing when at rest.

There will be ups and downs..so don't get discouraged.

Your good days should outnumber your bad ones as time goes on. :D

RuskitD Rookie

I am glad my words were of some comfort to someone!

I have always been a people pleaser, or at the least, always there for others. (I was raised by a narcissistic mother, and trained from the start to please others to be able to get along with them)

Even when I had no strength or energy. I spent what I had on taking care of others, leaving nothing for myself.

I have begun to look at my 'crash' before finding my dx as a blessing. For the first time in my life, I am taking care of myself first, with no apologies for my behavior! If I need a nap, I will take it with a smile on my face, knowing I taking care of me and making myself better! Yes! Our bodies heal during sleep, and if mine begs for some healing, I will give it!

I am two weeks into a full gluten free diet. It would be close to a month, but I let my body heal some, and tested myself with a slice of bread. Setback!

I am not a sweet eater, but late in week one, I craved something sweet so bad I could have hurt someone for a gooey cookie! Having read here that this could be normal, helped me get through the craving. I kept telling myself it was A GOOD THING! It meant I was going to get better.

I will add, I also eliminated decaf coffee, as I read even decaf can upset the colon.

As well as all grains. I may someday try corn again, but I am not certain I will bother. Right now I just want to be well, and I just don't know if want to risk a setback.

Though I already ate very little sugar, I also went 100% sugar free (knowing the long term violent colon distress caused an upset in the balance of things in there, and fearing another issue might happen or be going on!)

I was actually able to go out and shop this weekend and not feel like I couldn't get through the little store.

Wow!!!!

AND put on my fav jeans! No bloating for a week now! YAY!!

Hang in there newbies! Its all uphill from here!

• 1 month later...
JustNana Apprentice

RustikD

Feels nice to take care of yourself doesn't it? How long have you been a celiac?

mushroom-I'm glad you aren't lurking anymore. I have enjoyed several of your posts! :-)

Archived