This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When Will I Stop Losing Weight?

skinnyDiva

skinnyDiva Newbie

I have been gluten-free for 5 months. Since then I have gone from 142 lbs to 110lbs at 5'7" I am pole thin. I am very strict with my diet and Ive found brownies and cookies gluten-free to up my weight gain. If I make a mistake I feel the symptoms immediately and usually loose 1-2lbs more. Has anyone else dropped drastically in weight since going gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UKGail Rookie

Yes. I was at least 155 lbs and in 5 months have dropped to maybe 130 lbs. I am 5'4", and my pre-illness post-children weight was about 125 lbs, so I am not worrying about the weight loss just yet. I seem to feel symptoms very quickly and one of the earliest is nausea and loss of appetite. I will eat through this, but not as much as normal. If I've really copped it then I get a migraine and am completely unable to eat anything for a day or so, and then cannot eat all that much for a few days afterwards. My weight loss is therefore somewhat erratic, going in fits and starts. As I love food and eat well most of the time, I suspect that my weight loss may well stabilise once I get back to my skinny normal weight, which would be in the range 115 to 125lbs. Any less would not be good. My weight had ballooned in the last couple of years while I was unwell, until going gluten free.

newlifeforme Newbie

Yes. Since August I've lost 40 lbs. Needed to but now I'm concerned because a set back happens often and I'm steadily loosing weight. Very thin runs in my family and I don't want to be very thin. Sorry if my news is discouraging but it is the truth.

UKGail Rookie

Oh dear, that is a large weight loss in that time. My friends and family are noticing my circa 25 lbs weight loss, and either complimenting me or worrying about it. It would be odd for me to lose much more, as our family tends to the well-padded side, even the more longstanding celiacs among us. Only time will tell.

I hope you get a handle on your weight management soon.

• 1 year later...
littleplumbergirl Newbie

I was never diagnosed with celiac, rather I was having severe allergic reactions to anything with gluten. It wasn't fun being that I am German and Italian. All we know is good bread and pasta! Unfortunately, my stint in the hospital was it for me. When I first stopped eating gluten I was taking celexa and lost nothing. I was also doing Taekwondo 3 times a week and working out daily. About 4 months ago I stopped taking celexa and since I have lost 50 pounds and it is still melting. It is a bit concerning since I was never able to lose weight before. Now my concern is like yours, will it stop? I haven't really replaced with gluten free, except rice flour and Udi's white bread. I am not fond of gluten free foods So now my diet is lots of smoothies, no processed foods and mainly organic. I feel great, but I don't want to be a toothpick.

Archived