• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
BarryC

Running

Rate this topic

Hats off to all you marathon runners! Let us know how you did. One thing I have noticed is I can run longer and with less pain now, but I wont be entering any marathons. I still cant get that long lean runners look though-the big hard belly sticks out.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Suelovestorun

• Topics

• Hi Matt,  Thanks for taking the time to reply!  I completely agree haha.  Thanks for the links - I'll give them a read over!  I think it was a mixture of the first time travelling with being gluten-free and the added bonus of the language barrier, it made me dread meal times when usually food is the first thing I think about when travelling to new places! Again, I think the planning element was also a factor, not being able to walk past a nice bakery without walking in - why do most Berlin train stations have bakeries in everyone?!?! THE SMELL!!!  Haha, good excuse! Could have used that in the hotel restaurant (arrived late the first night) and the only avail dish was a dry chicken Caesar salad (literally 3 thin slices of chicken, 5 cherry tomatoes and a plate of lettuce).  I am I'll give the website a look over too - thank you! My app's with my consultant are every 6 months, basically was just sent away with no info/advice given and feeling the struggle now that reality has set in that this is for good!  Hope you are well! 
    • Gluten is a protein smaller then blood,bleach does not kill it as it is not a germ. I would replace scratched pans. baking dishes, tubaware, wooden utensils, colanders, etc. Throw out crumby condiment jars and any non gluten-free spices and condiments. Cast Iron can be saved and some metal utensils by putting in your oven self clean cycle, 500F will destroy the protein. I always tell people easy ways to get started on new cookware, nordicware microwave cook ware, omelette makers, steamers, rice cookers, grilling plates (do not forgot the splatter cover), This way you can have a cheap and easy meals, a new crockpot and use crockpot liners is great for soups, I suggested a combo rice cooker/crockpot/steamer as a great investment. OH if you want a nice clean safe prep area/counter/eating place mat, look up freezer paper/butcher paper. I did a post on where to get it in bulk awhile back. But laying it out is perfects, and makes clean up a breeze. Foil sheets in baking dishes works great for a extra precaution but if you have any with baked on stuff or scratched look at getting new ones. PS took me over  months to start feeling much better. Sometimes the improvement is minor and you have to think back to the worst you had. It does improve but normally big changes are after a year.
      https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
      https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/118842-freezer-paper-for-safe-prep-surface/?tab=comments#comment-979071 https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/120402-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q1/  
    • It sounds like your hives resolved.  I had a six month bout with them.  Antihistamines really helped.  My doctors are not sure if Mast Cell or autoimmune is the root cause.  
    • My kid has Raynauds.  It freaks her classmates out.  She wears shoes and wool socks all year round and we live in a warm state.  It is autoimmune.  She manages it by layering, turning up the heat, use lots of blanket throws.   I have Hashimoto’s and celiac disease.  So, having multiple autoimmune issues is common.  
    • Well, you do need to replace some things because they are too porous or damaged to remove gluten.  Things like old wooden spoons, scratched non-stick pans, toaster, colander, sponges, etc.  Honestly, the list is long, so try getting a few celiac books at the library or Amazon.  Consider reading through the Newbie 101 thread under the “Coping section”.    You should see some minor improvement soon.  It does take time to heal.  Most  around here will say it takes a year!  
  • Upcoming Events