This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Want Macaroni And Cheese!

lc1333

lc1333 Apprentice

Almost 30 days gluten free-with only 2 mistakes (which i paid for dearly!) Last night I made my kids mac & cheese. I wanted some soooooo bad!!!! I almost gave in, but I didn't!! I was so frustrated, i almost gave and and thought, "to hell with it! i will go through the 3 days of hell to just taste it!!" but i didn't...

any suggestions on the best gluten free mac & cheese? not to mention, my mac & cheese obsessed 10 year old is bound to be gluten free within a few weeks, so I'm gonna need a replacement. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lichjen Rookie

I know Annies has a good boxed mac and cheese - I had some the other day - it's good!

cait Apprentice

My kids accepted the change to annie's gluten-free mac and cheese, and they're pretty picky about some things, so I'd take that as a good sign. Of course, now none of us can have dairy...

xjrosie Apprentice

My kids accepted the change to annie's gluten-free mac and cheese, and they're pretty picky about some things, so I'd take that as a good sign. Of course, now none of us can have dairy...

We don't like Annie's here. It's tolerated right now because we can't find an alternative.

Next time I make mac and cheese, I'm just going to use rice noodles and velveeta. My kids like homemade better anyways; you should try it, it's really good!

And, you can make it without dairy, just use a dairy free margarine and substitute extra margarine where the dairy goes. In our opinion, it makes it taste a little richer.

lc1333 Apprentice

We don't like Annie's here. It's tolerated right now because we can't find an alternative.

Next time I make mac and cheese, I'm just going to use rice noodles and velveeta. My kids like homemade better anyways; you should try it, it's really good!

And, you can make it without dairy, just use a dairy free margarine and substitute extra margarine where the dairy goes. In our opinion, it makes it taste a little richer.

Velveeta is gluten free?????

lc1333 Apprentice

they sell Annie's stuff at my local grocery store...I'll give it a try. Thanks!!!

researchmomma Contributor

Did you know that KRAFT mac and cheese packet is gluten free?

Here's what works best for us.

We take out the packet, throw out the gluten pasta. I make penne from Schaar (or brown rice spirals). While they drain I whisk together the milk, cheese packet and butter. This way it is all smooth and doesn't stick to the gluten-free pasta.

Then toss back in the pasta.

Guess what? My gluten-free son now likes this better than gluten pasta Mac and Cheese.

Give it a whirl.

PS: if you are super sensitive their could be gluten flakes on the outside of the packet. I dump out the pasta and then I take a moist paper towel and wipe down the outside of the packet. My daughter is pretty sensitive and hasn't been glutened yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've even found the Kraft American Cheese in its own can! I had to ask about it at one grocery, but I think you can ask them to order it for you. Some gluten-free pasta, butter, milk, and the American Cheese powder is EXACTLY like the blue box mac and cheese.

We also make our own mac and cheese with different cheeses. It's easy. Look up any homemade mac and cheese recipe and make it gluten-free. Easy peasy!

Kimbalou Enthusiast

AMY's frozen mac and cheese is the best!! They have 2 kinds, so make sure you get the rice pasta one which is gluten free! It's a good size for one person. The other boxed brands weren't very good IMO. Let me know what you think. Safeway has a lot of Amy's foods. Amy's has a good frozen gluten-free pizza too!

Lisa Mentor

I make my own, but can't recall measurements.

Cook gluten-free shells in salted water, drain

Add some butter, lots of cheese and half&half

...to the consistency and taste that you prefer. Easy Peezy! :D (ditto)

psawyer Proficient

I make my own, but can't recall measurements.

Cook gluten-free shells in salted water, drain

Add some butter, lots of cheese and half&half

...to the consistency and taste that you prefer. Easy Peezy! :D (ditto)

That's pretty much our recipe. The Kraft cheddar powder is great for this.

jerseyangel Proficient

I boil a bag of Tinkyada Shells in boiling salted water for 10 minutes--drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, whisk together in a saucepan 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, 2 1/2 cups of milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture begins to bubble. Turn heat to low, add 1 tablespoon of butter, 4 tablespoons of good grated cheese (I use Locatelli Romano) and an 8 ounce brick of sharp cheddar cheese--grated. (I like Cabot)

Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is thick.

Combine pasta with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with more grated cheese, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

lc1333 Apprentice

wow!! thanks y'all!! so there is hope!!! i'm try it out (all the different suggestions!)

my kids will be thrilled! (i can blame it on my kids, right???) ;)

ndw3363 Contributor

I use the Kraft cheese packet as well, but I make mine with Quinoa pasta instead of the rice pasta. I've tried every brand of rice pasta I can find, and I just don't like it. So yes, I feel weird buying regular Kraft mac and cheese and then wasting food by throwing away the pasta, but I figure I only do this about once or twice a month, so it's my treat. Ok, now I really want some mac and cheese for breakfast :-)

lynnelise Apprentice

I like the Annie's with the pack of cheese sauce in it better than the powdered sauce. I also like the Amy's frozen mac and cheese with rice noodles.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I made the Annie's boxed with the soft cheese packet..not the dried cheese. It was good..and my gluten eating son, who is very fussy, loved it. He even asked if there were left overs later.

It's a little pricey..but you're worth it! :D

kitgordon Explorer

Velveeta is gluten free. I make mac and cheese with Velveeta and rice or quinoa pasta (or both together, half and half) all the time. Even my gluteneaters like it.

researchmomma Contributor

I use the Kraft cheese packet as well, but I make mine with Quinoa pasta instead of the rice pasta. I've tried every brand of rice pasta I can find, and I just don't like it. So yes, I feel weird buying regular Kraft mac and cheese and then wasting food by throwing away the pasta, but I figure I only do this about once or twice a month, so it's my treat. Ok, now I really want some mac and cheese for breakfast :-)

We have tried every rice noodle as well. We finally landed on Schaar corn pasta and it holds up well in the thermos (I make pesto chicken pasta for my daughter with these). I also buy the tincy tiny ones to make "chicken and star soup". It is called Anneli or something like that.

We find Schaar to be the best but the brown rice Tinkyada pasta with the cheese packet is really good. That is the only thing I like rice pasta in.

Seriously try the Kraft Packet with your favorite gluten-free pasta. My gluten eating son asks for it now. The other noodles seem mushy to him now, lol

Edited to add that for the best results whisk the cheese sauce and other ingredients first and then add the pasta back in.

mbrookes Community Regular

I like the Amy's frozen, but I add a small handful of Hormel's crumbled bacon (comes in a bag from Sam's and is marked gluten free).This with a small salad is a good lunch.

On homemade mac and cheese, try sprinkling the top with crumbled potato chips before you bake it.That gives a nice crunch with the smooth mac and cheese.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I make a big batch of homemade mac and cheese (Ancient Grains Quinoa Pasta) and then freeze it in individual portions. One of my sons and I are gluten-free, everyone else is not. This makes it easy to make a quick lunch or snack. I frequently pack it in my son's lunchbox thermos. Just take it out frozen, pop it in the microwave, put it into the thermos hot.

I used our regular recipe for mac and cheese, but use Pamela's gluten-free flour blend in the roux. I can then use reduced fat cheese (Cabot) and even add in some veggies (pureed butternut squash) to make it orange. He LOVES it and it is healthier and has less additives than the instant kind.

Cara

Monklady123 Collaborator

I buy Amy's frozen. (not *Annie's* boxed). Amy's pizza is horrible (imo) but she knows how to do mac and cheese. lol.

As someone said though, be careful not to accidentally buy the gluteny one -- the boxes look similar.

Cathey Apprentice

Just last week I was craving Mac & Cheese. I made my own, very simple and quick. I added pancetta and sauteed onions.

I used Tinkyada brown rice elbows 8 ozs.

Made a roux with

3T butter

1/4 C King Arthur Flour All Purpose

add 2 Cups warm milk

Stir till tickened

Add a combination of cheese's total of 4 cups

Gruyere

Swiss

Mexican mix

Cheddar

I added sauteed pancetta and onions, S & P to taste.

I put in baking dish, topped with sliced tomato (need the healthy, makes me feel less guilty) sprinkled with bread homemade bread crumbs and baked till bubbly.

It was so creamy and you could of eaten it out of the pot, I choose to bake it. WARNING I probably used tooooo much cheese you could use less.

jeanzdyn Apprentice

I would use rice noodles, whatever kind you can find that you like.

And Velveeta, maybe a little butter or milk, and a touch of parmesan cheese.

make it "to taste", I like just a little bit of pepper, like tip the

pepper shaker over the pot once and then stir to mix well.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Boil corn noodles until done. Drain and rinse with water and place in 9 x 13 pan. In large glass bowl, melt 1-1 1/2 lbs velveeta, 1 can evaporated milk, and 1 stick of butter in microwave in 2-3 minute increments, stirring after each session. When completely melted, pour over macaroni. Mix until completely combined, add sliced velveeta cheese on top to cover entire pan of macaroni and bake for about 30-50 minutes until top starts to brown. (don't use American Cheese- I don't think it is gluten free)

Enjoy!

Wenmin

mommida Enthusiast

There is also a frozen mac n cheese from Glutino. (only makes gluten free products)

Be careful about the Amy's because there are different versions. You need the rice noodle one, which is marked gluten free.

Annie's has 2 gluten free box mixes one with cheese sauce packet and one with powder mix. There are also gluten versions of Annie's.

By far any homemade mac n cheese beats the boil in box kits. ;)

Archived