This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Boils Anyone?

scottyg354

scottyg354 Enthusiast

I seem to get these a lot. Mostly on my side, sometimes on my thighs. They are a royal pain in the arse!!! The odd thing is they seem to conincide with stomach issues. I don't know if anyone had boils that are directly related to gluten or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

From the way you worded the topic title, my first response was "no thanks, I'm good." :unsure: as it sounded like you were offering them. :)

But I wanted to say that I had many kinds of sores and blisters pop up from gluten/celiac in various places :rolleyes: scalp, face, back, buttocks, etc. and some members have talked about clusters of boils on their thighs and buttocks. AND it was related to HYPOTHYROIDISM.

I wish I could recall the medical term one of them used for those boils--or where the thread is now--(sorry). You could try searching the forum --use the SEARCH FORUM VIA GOOGLE in the upper right?

Recently, when I said to my doctor that I had every single symptom except DH, he said but you had sores and lip/mouth blisters and "All skins conditions, blisters, rashes and itchy skin lesions ARE related to celiac."

GottaSki Mentor

Good Morning-

My holistic doctor told me that toxins have three ways to leave our bodies -- digestive track, skin and lungs. I've had skin issues when I've digested something I am intolerant of and while my body was in full detox mode.

My son has had lung issues for the past ten years...misdiagnosed with Asthma, reflux, GERD -- didn't clear until his diet changed and his lungs still act up when he eats something that he is intolerant of.

Are you completely gluten-free? If so, perhaps you have developed a food intolerance...with skin problems sometimes it is hard to figure out what the cause is because a boil takes some time to form...not like a tingly rash that comes fairly soon after digesting the problem food. Maybe keep a food journal for a few months to find a pattern of when the boils appear?

Good Luck!

bartfull Rising Star

Here it is, from a thread just a few days ago:

llama3 Apprentice

Hidradenitis suppurativa affects the armpits and groin region (something to do with the glands there) so if it's on your side it would be something else, but it could very well be related to gluten.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Hidradenitis suppurativa affects the armpits and groin region (something to do with the glands there) so if it's on your side it would be something else, but it could very well be related to gluten.

I actually get them from the bottom of my armpit to halfway down my torso, I also get them on butt cheeks (the worst ones) and thighs sometimes. They at first hurt, then towards the end get itchy. It's a real pain and not really nice looking either. makes it a b%$@# to take my shirt off at the beach.

llama3 Apprentice

I actually get them from the bottom of my armpit to halfway down my torso, I also get them on butt cheeks (the worst ones) and thighs sometimes. They at first hurt, then towards the end get itchy. It's a real pain and not really nice looking either. makes it a b%$@# to take my shirt off at the beach.

The thighs and butt cheeks are definitely places where HS tends to show up. I don't know if you can get HS lesions on your torso because there are no apocrine glands there, but I think I've read that sometimes people get them in odd places ... maybe if you have an advanced case and they are already forming tracts to different places. HS boils are deeper than regular ones and leave a lot of scarring.

You should definitely see a dermatologist - but find a good one, there are a lot of cruddy dermatologists out there who don't have a clue and could really harm you. Ask them if they know what hidradenitis suppurativa is, and if they don't know, go elsewhere.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks, Bart--girl! That's the condition!! ;)

I knew I had read it--but could not recall the name.

see, how we tag team so well on here!

IH

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Thanks, Bart--girl! That's the condition!! ;)

I knew I had read it--but could not recall the name.

see, how we tag team so well on here!

IH

All I know is I'm getting another blood test in about a month, and I've been eating gluten with every meal pretty much. And since about two weeks ago, I've been getting them, i'm really constipated, i'm itchy all over my arms and dizzy as hell.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Try Walgreens Pain Relieving Ointment for Boils.

It is benzocaine and calms the pain and itching.

I just read about Hydradenitis Suppurativa and suspect I have it too.

Last time I had one was following gluten CC.

It is very sensitive to gluten.

The good news is it can go away when you go gluten free.

I hope your test is soon so you can get relief.

IrishHeart Veteran

All I know is I'm getting another blood test in about a month, and I've been eating gluten with every meal pretty much. And since about two weeks ago, I've been getting them, i'm really constipated, i'm itchy all over my arms and dizzy as hell.

Sounds like a direct correlation to gluten then, hon. :(

Those are all symptoms I can relate to.

Plus constipation often accompanies hypothyroidism.

For constipation, try taking probiotics and lots of water to hydrate. More veggies in your diet.

Unfortunately, a gluten challenge brings on the symptoms with a vengeance.

I hope you can make it through the month. :blink:

I wouldn't last a day :ph34r:

llama3 Apprentice

I hope you all just have normal boils and not hidradenitis suppurativa, because HS is a progressive disease that can become disabling if not treated properly. Anyone who thinks they might have HS REALLY needs to go to a good dermatologist (don't put it off and let it get worse like I did). And if you do go and are diagnosed with it, consider whether you want to live the rest of your life with the scarring you will have from the flare ups caused by the gluten challenge - scar tissue which may contribute to worse flare ups in later life. At least you may be able to get antibiotics to offset the effects of the gluten challenge.

scottyg354 Enthusiast

Sounds like a direct correlation to gluten then, hon. :(

Those are all symptoms I can relate to.

Plus constipation often accompanies hypothyroidism.

For constipation, try taking probiotics and lots of water to hydrate. More veggies in your diet.

Unfortunately, a gluten challenge brings on the symptoms with a vengeance.

I hope you can make it through the month. :blink:

I wouldn't last a day :ph34r:

I can manage. Doc gave some Anti Depressant's to curb my depression. My symptoms have been oddly manageable lately, I don't know if it is because I am on the AD's and the depression is a lot less. One thing I am really noticing is the dizziness and constipation are rough right now, and the boil outbreaks are sucking, but I'm managing better.

IrishHeart Veteran

I can manage. Doc gave some Anti Depressant's to curb my depression. My symptoms have been oddly manageable lately, I don't know if it is because I am on the AD's and the depression is a lot less. One thing I am really noticing is the dizziness and constipation are rough right now, and the boil outbreaks are sucking, but I'm managing better.

aha! well, the ADs may well be causing the dizziness and C. They are a known side effect. Once off gluten, all that may disappear because you won't be depressed and you won't need the drugs.

I would take the advice to see a derma for the boils.

Hang in there.

Archived