This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Couldn't Tolerate Coffe But Now I Can?

Poppi

Poppi Enthusiast

I am just shy of 11 months gluten free and one thing I noticed when I went gluten free was that coffee also made me feel awful. I would feel glutened for 2-3 hours complete with brain fog, sour stomach, big D, back ache and headache.

A few months ago I start experimenting a bit because I really, really miss coffee. I found that I could tolerate a decaf a couple times a week and be fine. So when I was out with friends I would occasionally indulge a decaf latte and feel okay. Sometimes I'd get a headache but no big deal.

This past week I have had a terrible head cold. This morning I found myself with a terrible Benadryl hangover and decided to go ahead and grab a cup of coffee. So I busted out the French Press and made a cup of medium strength regular caffienated coffee. It was amazing and I felt fine. I'm on my second cup of the day and I still feel fine. Great in fact! I probably won't sleep tonight as this is my first regular coffee in almost a year but I am enjoying it immensely.

Is this a result of my gut healing? I have noticed my gluten reaction changing as well. I accidentally glutened myself with the chicken feed last month and had horrible D which wasn't a normal symptom for me before. Healing gut = changing reactions?

Anyway, I'm just curious what the experts say.

For what it's worth, I can't ask my doctor about this because she refuses to acknowledge that I might have a gluten problem unless I do a gluten challenge/bloodwork/biopsy.

Edited because caffienated fingers can't spell.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Well congratulations!

I'm very happy for you!

I never gave up the coffee.

But yeah, I have read that you can get a gluten-like reaction from coffee..or some people have.

I skipped right over that part though, and probably made myself another cup of coffee.

I hope you can keep enjoying it. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

A ravaged gut can't tolerate MOST things, including coffee. (My list of "nopes" was very long, and it has become shorter). I added back coffee last month, but decaf. Caffeine makes my heart race too much.

So, YES, I believe you are healing your gut and therefore, able to enjoy coffee once more! :)

Cheers!

Skylark Collaborator

I had trouble with coffee when my stomach was all irritated from gluten. Now it's fine. It would have helped tremendously 20 years ago if my stupid doctor had told me to go off wheat rather than coffee when he diagnosed me with gastritis. :lol:

GFinDC Veteran

You probably will need to be on it for a couple weeks to find out if it affects you. Some things don't happen right away but build up over time. But you may be just fine too. We are all individuals and react as individuals. Personally I can't do caffeine of any kind but I never had the GI symptoms from it that you described. So we is different.

Kjas Newbie

I had trouble with coffee and tea.

I've always been somewhat sensitive to caffeine but until my gut was screwed up I was never intolerant of it. I can handle a good quality decaf with both coffee and tea now, although I keep it to once a month. I'm still hoping I will be able to heal completely and go back to coffee even if it's on a one day a week basis at some stage.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Coffee is hard on the stomach. It is probably because you are healed that you can drink it again. I gave it up at first and now can drink it too. It does bother me a bit when I am glutened, but I drink it anyway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I am just shy of 11 months gluten free and one thing I noticed when I went gluten free was that coffee also made me feel awful. I would feel glutened for 2-3 hours complete with brain fog, sour stomach, big D, back ache and headache.

A few months ago I start experimenting a bit because I really, really miss coffee. I found that I could tolerate a decaf a couple times a week and be fine. So when I was out with friends I would occasionally indulge a decaf latte and feel okay. Sometimes I'd get a headache but no big deal.

This past week I have had a terrible head cold. This morning I found myself with a terrible Benadryl hangover and decided to go ahead and grab a cup of coffee. So I busted out the French Press and made a cup of medium strength regular caffienated coffee. It was amazing and I felt fine. I'm on my second cup of the day and I still feel fine. Great in fact! I probably won't sleep tonight as this is my first regular coffee in almost a year but I am enjoying it immensely.

Is this a result of my gut healing? I have noticed my gluten reaction changing as well. I accidentally glutened myself with the chicken feed last month and had horrible D which wasn't a normal symptom for me before. Healing gut = changing reactions?

Anyway, I'm just curious what the experts say.

For what it's worth, I can't ask my doctor about this because she refuses to acknowledge that I might have a gluten problem unless I do a gluten challenge/bloodwork/biopsy.

Edited because caffienated fingers can't spell.

Yeah!

:D

GFinDC Veteran

Well, I opened my mouth and stuck my foot in again. I ended up drinking caffeine last night and survived. It doesn't usually cause me a problem unless I drink it for a week or so straight. Here's what I did, some of you may like this.

So I have been drinking herbal teas (caffeine free) for a while now. I took to keeping a kettle of hot water on the stove this winter. I got the idea of adding some cinnamon to the kettle water since they say it is good for blood sugar control. And some ginger because it can help digestion. Then yesterday I got the bright idea of adding some powdered Hershey's cocoa. Just a couple teaspoons. So I put a little stevia in my tea cup, a mint tea bag, and add the chocolate - ginger - cinnamon hot water from the kettle. Dang tasty stuff people! Not as rich as regular cocoa made with dairy, but I haven't had that in years due to avoiding milk. But tasty-tasty.

Then after a kettle of this tea and a refill noticed I was feeling kinda wired. Feeling better than I had in a while in fact. More energy. More alert. That caffeeiney feeling you get. Thought about it and remembered chocolate is supposed to have some caffeine in it.

So found this wise geek page talking about it. There is a little caffeine in chocolate, but much less then coffee or tea. So this might be something to try for people who like that sort of chocolatey, dairy-free, low caffeine hot drink stuff. You know who you are, no need to spell out names. I did get pretty buzzed before I realized what was happening so it is not without affect. Took me a while to get to sleep.

The cinnamon does leave a little grit in the bottom of the tea cup but I don't mind that . It is just ground up tree bark after all.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived