• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
Macbre

Does Anyone Buy Their gluten-free Products Over The Internet?

Rate this topic

I was purchasing vitamins from Vitacost.com and noticed they have a lot of gluten-free foods & products that are much cheeper than in stores. I found several products that I eat on a regular basis and others that I've never heard of. Eating gluten-free can be very expensive and I figured it would be cost effective to order online (I don't think you have to pay shipping if ordering a certain amount).....has anyone else done this? I'm just wondering if the food is still fresh or broken up (meaning pasta) by the time it reaches you.

I'm all about trying to save :)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Yes, I order from Vitacost. I have placed quite a few orders with them & I have no complaints with the condition upon arrival & I've ordered pasta & breads too. I am beginning to branch out & try things from other online companies such as Nuts online (now just -- nuts.com). I also order Larabars online --- best price I've found is from Drugstore.com who has free shipping if you order $25.

I will warn you though about Vitacost --- they will drive you batty with incessant junk email if you don't make sure to check the don't send me any box --- actually I think I did as I'm watchful of that but ended up having to go to the site & request them not to send me all that junk.

I was purchasing vitamins from Vitacost.com and noticed they have a lot of gluten-free foods & products that are much cheeper than in stores. I found several products that I eat on a regular basis and others that I've never heard of. Eating gluten-free can be very expensive and I figured it would be cost effective to order online (I don't think you have to pay shipping if ordering a certain amount).....has anyone else done this? I'm just wondering if the food is still fresh or broken up (meaning pasta) by the time it reaches you.

I'm all about trying to save :)

I order gluten-free oatmeal (the individual packets, instant, but I forget the brand) by the case -- six boxes per case. It's WAY cheaper than buying it in the store, and much more convenient since there are only two stores in my area that carry it, IF they have it in stock. I also order Chebe mixes and sometimes flour. I order from the place that begins with "A" that I don't think we're allowed to mention here. I have their Prime so I never pay shipping no matter how much or how little it is.

I order from the place that begins with "A" that I don't think we're allowed to mention here. I have their Prime so I never pay shipping no matter how much or how little it is.

You're allowed to mention them, you just can't link to them . . .

I order from Amazon as well. I use their subscribe and save program which always provides free shipping no matter what your order price is. It involves setting up a standing order so that it will ship to you every month or every other month or every third or every 6th. You select the interval. You can cancel after the first shipment. You can defer shipments (they send you an email a couple of days before it is suppose to ship.) You can ship early if you run out quicker than you think. It's pretty easy to use.

The big savings with ordering on line is usually to order in bulk. I recommend not ordering anything in bulk that you haven't tried first. Nothing like have 6 boxes of something that came highly recommended from someone else and find out you don't care for it. Yeah, I've done that <_<

I too use Subscribe and Save from Amazon. Also, there is a link that a (all be it small) portion of your purchase can be donated to the Celiac Center in Baltimore for research!

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

Thanks for the feedback...I'm going to give it a try.

I'm very, very lucky, and don't have to. Not only do I have a huge grocery store within walking distance of my house that has an entire gluten-free aisle, but I also have a huge Asian grocery store within 5 miles, that carries all sorts of flours, rice, sweet rice, tapioca starch, potato starch, plus rice crackers and other foods that are naturally gluten-free.

We try to avoid too many convenience foods, so make the majority of our family meals ourselves. With very few exceptions, my whole family eats the same meals, gluten-free sensitive or not, so I most of our meals are just naturally gluten-free.

While I know that our sponsors make this website possible, and I thank them for it, I encourage everyone, especially those who are finding gluten-free to be a great strain on their budget, to check out their local Asian and Hispanic food stores.

Absolutely check the prices of gluten-free products online!! Like some others have already posted, I also buy from Vitacost and Amazon. Love them both, partially because of the information that is available online that is almost impossible to get when you are standing in the store wondering about "this box on the shelf" vs. "that box on the shelf".

Until my local Wegmans started getting a lot of gluten free stuff I ordered from the Gluten Free Mall. The only thing I didn't like about ordering on line was having to wait for my 'goodies' to be delivered. But the happiness when the box arrived ourweighed that disadvantage.

Although I have ordered things like gluten-free pasta in the past, mostly I order baking ingredients like flours, gums, etc. Rarely do I eat any prepackaged foods anyway, so don't know how fresh the breads sold from Vitacost or other places are. I used to order supplements and a few gluten-free food items from Vitacost, but they started getting very sloppy with packing the boxes, and the contents would be jostling around in transit so much there were bags of things getting broken open. Don't even get me started about the coconut oil catastrophe.

I currently buy most gluten-free flours and other baking ingredients from barryfarm.com. The Subscribe & Save service from Amazon does save money on certain things too.

Ads by Google:

I've been ordering from Amazon for years. I use Pamela's bread mix... started w/ a box of bagged mixes, went to the bulk bags and finally to the 25-pound bag that I keep in a plastic container. I also have ordered lots of their Tinkyada pastas.

The local health food store guy asked me if there was anything he could order for me to keep in stock and I had to tell him that I could get it for a lot cheaper (and free shipping) from Amazon and while I'd love to give him my business, I just couldn't afford to!

We don't do convenience food or processed food so I've not ordered anything but the stuff I use all the time.