This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tom O'bryan & Cyrex Laboratories

Feral Boy

Feral Boy Newbie

I've watched some youtube videos recently, and listened to some podcasts (undergroundwellness), by Tom O'Bryan. He's very well spoken - of course, he's working from a script - and seemingly very knowledgeable about gluten and its issues (vis-a-vis human health). However, I've gone to his website (thedr.com!), which is pretty sketchy, and there is very little info about his qualifications (he's associated with an unaccredited "university").

All other web references to him quote his own website's claim that he is "an internationally recognized speaker specializing in Gluten Sensitivity & Celiac Disease". His treatment protocol for gluten issues requires many proprietary supplements (that he sells, of course). A web search revealed no books that he's written, and thus there are no footnotes which might support his claims.

He's associated with Cyrex Labs, which is offering a novel testing protocol for gluten sensitivity, along with antigen cross reactions, etc. Unfortunately, there is very little additional info at the Cyrex site.

Everything about this screams "scam" yet I'm still intrigued. Has anyone here tried the Cyrex testing protocols? Or know anything more about this guy (other than his own claims)?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I have no experience with Cyrex Labs, but I know a number of people on this forum do. All I know about Dr. O'Bryan is that he has been a lead presenter at a number of national conferences of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America. I've heard him speak twice and have found his presentations to be very informative, and he cites studies. I'm not surprised that he hasn't written a book, since his supplement business would have to be halted because of a conflict of interest.

Feral Boy Newbie

So... no one with any direct experience?

Thanks for your response, Rosetapper23. In his podcasts, O'Bryan does mention studies off-handedly, but how does one verify this info without details like the name of the study, its authors, etc. At one point he claims that a particular idea is supported by "18 thousand studies". Consider the logistics of making that claim.

• 1 month later...
dramamama Newbie

VERY curious as to whether anyone has taken the Cross-reaction (#4) Array test from Cyrex Labs?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I've come across him too. He's a chiropractor and nutritionist. I couldn't find any actual published studies which supported his claims. It shouts scam to me too.

Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

IMO chiropractors really have no business preaching or practicing medicine. They don't have a medical degree but frequently make claims that imply they do. I have, for as long as I can remember, called the quack-er-practors because for all the claims they make, they're frequently quacks. (Not saying there aren't good and responsible ones, just that all I've encountered have been a little over the top.) Just to underscore how dangerous they can be, a chiropractor in Utah was recently arrested and had his license revoked as a result of his claims to be able to cure diabetes. The program he was using was developed by another chiropractor from Colorado who is also in hot water. It's been my experience that chiropractors are today's snake oil salesmen, offering up miracle cures for chronic lifelong illnesses. Desperate for a way out since all medical knowledge tells us we'll live with X or Y or Z the rest of our lives, we buy into the pitch only to find ourselves still sick but a little lighter in the pocket.

As to Tom O'Bryan specifically, there is no way I'd trust anyone who is making reference to studies "off-handedly" as feral put it, leaving us no way to check up on their information or sources. On top of that he's using those unsubstantiated claims to sell stuff. He goes down in my book as 110% sketchy.

IrishHeart Veteran

It's up to you if you want to pay for "tests" that have no scientific or peer-reviewed studies to support them.

We have discussed this cross-reactivity thing on here MANY TIMES. No proof, no evidence to support it. (there is a study about dairy and cross-reactivity that was done, that's it)

He is selling a product.

He's a chiropractor.

He's a high paid guest speaker.

And he has associations with other chiropractors who also "treat" people for food intolerances.

(My chiropractor rolls his eyes at all this baloney.)

The vast majority of us think it's a scam.

If celiacs were suffering from "cross-reactivity" don't you think the top celiac researchers would be joining in and urging us all to be tested by Cyrex Labs and singing his praises in the published and peer-reviewed medical literature??

I have not found any, I have looked, but if it happens, I'll be the first one to apologize and tell him he is a genius.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Here is an example from the Cyrex website:

"Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors

Leading•Advancing•Promoting

Toronto, Ontario

November 12-14, 2010

Case Study Results Show Importance of Array 4 Testing

Reaching across the border, Cyrex Laboratories traveled to Canada for the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors (OAND) convention and tradeshow November 12-14, 2010. This year’s theme, “Cracking the Chronic Disease Epidemic,” prompted OAND to invite Cyrex’s Scientific Consultant, Aristo Vojdani, Ph.D. to deliver a keynote lecture to more than 400 attendees. Dr. Vojdani presented, “From Immunity to Autoimmunity: Preventing the Onset of Chronic Disease.” During his lecture, he showed the results of his in-house studies that inspired the development of the arrays offered by Cyrex.

The most compelling case was that of a patient who had undergone root canal and dental implant work. Within 60 days, the patient went from having a healthy gut with no food sensitivities, to a patient with severe intestinal permeability and multiple food intolerances. The combination of emotional stress and the prescribed antibiotics, pain medication, and antacids contributed to the clinical conditions. The “before” and “after” results apparently surprised the audience. The patient’s improved test results, after the implementation of a tailored diet─based on Gluten-Associated Sensitivity and Cross-Reative Foods from Cyrex’s Array 4─seemed to convince practitioners of the importance of Cyrex’s next-generation testing services, according to a company spokesperson."

"seemed to convince practitioners"...of what?

"according to a company spokesman"....where's the science? the peer-reviewed literature??

This is a PR statement!

Seriously? If you take a sustained course of probiotics after being doused with antibiotics, your gut flora will balance out and you'll feel better. If you avoid foods that irritate your gut, you'll feel better.

I say that all the time on here. Many of us say the same thing: Every celiac should be on probiotics. Our guts need them.

"Severe intestinal permeability"-- this condition can be diagnosed by a doctor through testing, if that is your concern.

TomC Rookie

I bought his DVD and sort of feel ripped off. It had okay information but I was completely turned off by how many times he pushes for people to buy the products on his website.Although I think the supplements he recommends helped me...Long before I heard of him I had been taking omega 3 fish oil, L glutamine and probiotics. Not his brand obviously. I was seriously wondering about the labs he speaks up but if the people on this forum feel its a scam then Ill probably pass.

Hellothere Newbie

He apparently is an "advisor" to cyrex labs.

BTW, cyrex labs came very highly recommended to me by my neighbor, who is an M.D. Who used them for himself.

BleuPhire Newbie

I did the saliva test and the cross-reactives blood test. I know a few other people who did also. My results are below. I have been gluten free for 3 months and feel a major change. I will keep y'all posted on how it goes after I cut out all the other stuff. I'm going to talk to my chiro this morning about all of it.

Many people self-dx and many people have trusted Enterolabs. Sometimes help comes in different forms. My daughter's pedi GI told me that one child was pos blood but neg biopsy so she didn't need to be gluten-free. Most of what I've read says that the child should be. Her pedi didn't even do the right blood test.

Med dr.'s are still learning, too.

IrishHeart Veteran

In his podcasts, O'Bryan does mention studies off-handedly, but how does one verify this info without details like the name of the study, its authors, etc. At one point he claims that a particular idea is supported by "18 thousand studies". Consider the logistics of making that claim.

You are very wise to wonder about such claims.

• 2 months later...
jka8168 Newbie

I haven't seen the Vojdani/Cyrex tests fail yet, meaning specifically the saliva and gluten related blood test used together in order to check the most possible gluten related antibodies. Array 1 and Array #3 I have seen some very very sick people finally get their positive gluten syndrome diagnosis with these tests after numerous other false negative tests.

Dr. O'Bryan's research reviews are just that. Research reviews. Hundreds of articles from mainstream journals. Some are pretty helpful and informative.

No financial interest.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I'd like to add, too, that Dr. O'Bryan provided everyone at the conferences where I heard him speak with his e-mail address so that if we wished further information, we could ask for it. I wrote him and specifically asked for information about a study he'd discussed, and he provided the information to me. Unfortunately, that was over five years ago, so I don't have the slightest idea where I put the information....but I remember being impressed that he took the time to get back to me. I really didn't get the impression that he was a scammer at all.

• 9 months later...
docseigler Newbie

It's up to you if you want to pay for "tests" that have no scientific or peer-reviewed studies to support them.

We have discussed this cross-reactivity thing on here MANY TIMES. No proof, no evidence to support it. (there is a study about dairy and cross-reactivity that was done, that's it)

I have not found any, I have looked, but if it happens, I'll be the first one to apologize and tell him he is a genius.

No evidence you say?

Becker CG, Van Hamont N, Wagner M. Tobacco, cocoa, coffee, and ragweed: cross-reacting allergens that activate factor-XII-dependent pathways. Blood, 1981; 58(5):861-867.

Gangur V, Kelly C, Navuluri L. Sesame allergy: a growing food allergy of global proportions? Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol, 2005; 95:4-11.

Kagi Mk, Wuthrich B. Falafel burger anaphylaxis due to sesame seed allergy. Ann Allergy, 1993; 71(2):127-129.

Keskinen H, Ostman P, Vaheria E, et al. A case of occupational asthma, rhinitis and urticaria due to sesame seed. Clin Exp Allergy, 1991; 21:623-624.

Pecquet C, Leynadier F, SaÏag P. Immediate hypersensitivity to sesame in foods and cosmetics. Contact Dermatitis, 1998; 39:313.

Perkins MS. Raising awareness of sesame allergy. Pharma J, 2001; 267:757-758

Popa V, Gavrilescu N, Preda N, et al. an investigation of allergy in byssinosis: sensitization to cotton, hemp, flax and jute antigens. Brit J Industr Med, 1969; 26:101-108

Ciclitiera PJ and Ellis HJ. Relation of antigenic structure of cereal proteins to their toxicity in coeliac patients. Brit J Nutr, 1985; 53:39-45

Kasarda DD. Grains in relation to celiac disease. Cereal Foods World, 2001; 46:209-210.

Simonato B, Pasini G, Giannattasio M, Curioni A. Allergenic potential of Kamut® wheat. Allergy, 2002; 57:653-654.

Göhte C-J, Wislander G, Ancker K, Forsbeck M. buckwheat allergy: health food, an inhalation health risk. Allergy, 2007; 38(3):155-159

Hekkens WT. The determination of prolamins in gluten-free food. Introductory remarks. Panminerva Med, 1991; 33(2):61-64

Kim J-L, Wieslander G, Norbäck D. Allergy/Intolerance to buckwheat and other food products among Swedish subjects with celiac disease. Proc. 9th Int’l Symp Buckwheat, Prague, 2004:705-709 (74)

Lee SY, Lee KS, Hong CH, Lee KY. Three cases of childhood nocturnal asthma due to buckwheat allergy. Allergy, 2001; 56:763-766

Pomeranz Y, Marshall HG, Robbins Gs, Gilbertson JT. Protein content and amino acid composition of maturing buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentim moench). Cereal Chem, 1975; 52:479-484 (76)

De Maat-Bleeker F, Stapel SO. Cross-reactivity between buckwheat and latex. Allergy, 1998; 53:538-539

Sdepanian VL, Scaletsky ICA, Fagundes-Neto U, de Morais MB. Assessment of gliadin in supposedly gluten-free foods prepared and purchased by celiac patients. J Ped Gastroenterol Nutr, 2001; 32:65-70

Skerritt JH, Devery JM, Hill AS. Chemistry, coeliac-toxicity and detection of gluten and related prolamins in foods. Panminerva Med, 1991; 33(2):65-74

Wieslander G, Norbäck D. Buckwheat allergy. Allergy, 2001; 56:703-704

Bietz JA. Cereal prolamin evolution and homology revealed by sequence analysis. Biochm Gentics, 1982; 20(11/12):1039-1053 

Cicek M and Esen A. Stucture and expression of a dhurrinase (-glucosidase) from sorghum. Plant Physiol, 1998; 116:1469-1478

Mazhar H, Chandrashekar A, Shetty HS. Isolation and immunochemical characterization of the alcohol-extractabel proteins (kafirins) of Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench. J Cereal Sci, 1993; 17(1):83-93 

Taylor JRN, Sch ssler L, van der Walt WH. Fractionation of proteins from low-tannin sorghum grain. J Agric Food Chem, 1984; 32:149-154

Gaitan E, Cooksey RC, Legan J, Lindsay RH. Antithyroid effects invivo and invitro of vitexin: a C-glucosylflavone in millet. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 1995; 80(4):114-1147 

Monteiro PV, Virupaksha TK, Rao DR. Proteins of Italian millet: amino acid composition, solubility fractionation and electrophoresis of protein fractions. J Sci Food Agric, 1982; 33(11):1072-1079

Monteiro PV, Sudharhsna L, Ramachandra G. Japanese barnyard millet (Echinochloa frumentacea): protein content, quality and SDS-PAGE of protein fractions. J Sci Food Agric, 1988; 43(1):17-25 

Parameswaran KP and Thayumanavan B. Homologies between prolamins of different minor millets. Plant Foods Human Nutr, 1995; 48:119-126

Parameswaran KP and Thayumanavan B. Isolation and characterization of a 20 kD prolamin from kodo millet (Paspalum scrobiculatum) (L.): homology with other millets and cereals.. Plant Foods Human Nutr, 1997; 50:359-373 

Grela ER. Nutrient composition and content of antinutritional factors in spelt (Triticum spelta L.) cultivars. J Sci Food Agric, 1996; 71(3):399-404

Jones SM, Megnolfi CG, Cooke SK, Sampson HA. Allergens, IgE, mediators, inflammatory mechanisms: immunologic cross-reactivity among cereal grains and grasses in children with food hypersensitivity. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 1995; 96:341-351

Pastorello EA, Farioli L, Robino A, et al. A lipid transfer protein involved in occupational sensitization to spelt. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2001; 108(1):145-146

Skrabaqnja V, Kovac B, Golob T, et al. Effect of spelt wheat flour and kernel on bread composition and nutritional characteristics. J Agric Food Chem, 2001; 49:497-500

Aphalo P, Castellani OF, Martinez EN, Anón MC. Surface phyusicochemical properties of globulin-P amaranth protein. J Agric Food Chem, 2004; 52:616-622

Gorinstein S, Delgado-Licon E, Pawelzik E, et al. Characterization of soluble amaranth and soybean proteins based on fluorescence, hydrophobicity, electrophoresis, amino acid analysis, circular dichroism, and differential scanning calorimetry measurements. J Agric Food Chem, 2001; 49:5595-5601

Vasco-Méndez NL and Paredes-López O. antigenic homology between amaranth glutelins and other storage proteins. J Food Biochem, 1995; 18(4):227-238

Aluko RE and Monu E. Functional and bioactive properties of quinoa seed protein hydrolysates. J Food Sci, 2003; 68(4):1254-1258

Lee AR, Ng DL, Dave E, et al. The effect of substituting alternative grains in the diet on the nutritional profile of the gluten-free diet. J Hum Nutr Diet, 2009; 22:359-363

Wright KH, Huber KC, Fairbanks DJ, Huber CS. Isolation and characterization of Atriplex hortensis and sweet Chenopodium quinoa starches. Cereal Chem, 2002; 79(5):715-719

Heelan Bt, Allan S, Barnes RMR. Identification of a 200-kDa glycoprotein antigen of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Immunol Lett, 1991; 28:181-186 

Os$#&ani N, Hato F, Kenishi S, et al. Cross-reactivity of yeast antigens in human colon and peripheral leukocytes. J Pathol, 2003; 199:361-367

Sendid B, Quinton JF, Charrier G, et al. Anti-Saccharomycies cerevisiae mannan antibodies in familial Crohn’s disease. Am J Gastroenterol, 2001; 93(8):1306-1310 

Vojdani A, Rahimian P, Kalhor H, Mordechai E. Immunological cross reactivity between candida albicans and human tissue. J Clin Lab Immunol, 1996; 48:1-15

Young Ca, Sonnenberg A, Berns EA. Lymphocyte proliferation response to baker’s yeast in Crohn’s disease. Digestion; 1994:55(1):40-43 

Beezhold DH, Sussman GL, Liss GM, Chang NS. Latex allergy can induce clinical reactions to specific foods. Clin Exp Allergy, 1996; 26(4):416-422

Brehler R, Theissen U, Hohr C, Luger T. “Latex-fruit syndrome”: frequency of cross-reacting IgE antibodies. Allergy, 1997; 52:404-410 

Ibero M, Castillo MJ, Pineda F. Allergy to cassava: a new allergenic food with cross-reactivity to latex. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol, 2007; 17(6):409-412

Mikkola JH, Alenius H, Kalkkinen N, et al. Hevein-like protein domains as a possible cause for allergen cross-reactivity between latex and banana. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 1998; 102:1005- 1012 

Arentz-Hansen H, Fleckenstein B, Molberg Ø, et al. The molecular basis for oat intolerance in patients with celiac disease. PLoS Med, 2004 1(1):084-092

Janatuinen EK, Pekka HP, Kemppainen TA, et al. A comparison of diets with and without oats in adults with celiac disease. N Engl J Med, 1995; 333:1033-1037 

Reunala T, Collin P, Holm K, et al. Tolerance to oats in dermatitis herpetiformis. Gut, 1998; 43:490-493

Silano M, Dessì M, De Vincenzi M, Cornell H. In Vitro tests indicate that certain varieties of oats may be harmful to patients with coeliac disease. J Gastroenterol Hematol, 2007; 22:528-531 

Srinivasan U, Jones E, Carolan J, Feighery C. Immunohistochemical analysis of coeliac mucosa following ingestion of oats. Clin Exp Immunol, 2006; 144:197-203 

Thompson T. Gluten contamination of commercial oat products in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2004; 351(19):2021-2022

Axelsson IG. Allergy to the coffee plant. Allergy, 1994; 49(10):885-887

Caballero Tm, Garcia-Ara C, Pascual C, et al. Urticaria induced by caffeine. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol, 1993; 3(3):160-162 

Moneret-Vautrin DA, Kanny G, Faller JP, et al. [severe anaphylactic shock with heart arrest caused by coffee and gum Arabic, potentiated by beta-blocking eyedrops].[Article in French] Rev Med Interne, 1993; 14(2):107-111

Osterman K, Johansson SG, Zetterström O. Diagnostic tests in allergy to green coffee. Allergy, 1995; 40(5):336-343 

Treudler R, Tebbe B, Orfanos CE. Coexistence of type I and type IV sensitization in occupational coffee allergy. Contact Dermatitis, 1997; 36:109.

Davidson IW, Lloyd RS, Whorwell PJ, Wright R. Antibodies to maize in patients with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and coelic disease. Clin Exp Immunol, 1979, 35:147-148 

Lehrer SB, Reese G, Malo J-L, et al. Corn Allergens: IgE antibody reactivity and cross- reactivity with rice, soy, and peanut. Int Arch Allergy Immunol, 1999; 118:298-299 

Paulis JW and Bietz JA. Separation of alcohol-soluble maize proteins by reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography. J Cereal Sci, 4986; 4:205-216 

Asero R, Amato S, Alfieri B, et al. Rice: another potential cause of food allergy in patients sensitized to lipid transfer protein. Int Arch Allergy Immunol, 2007; 143:69-74

Horikoshi M, Kobayashi H, Yamazoe Y, et al. Purification and complete amino acid sequence of a major prolamin of rice endosperm. J Cereal Sci, 1991; 14(1):1-14. 

Urisu A, Yamada K, Masuda S, et al. 16-kilodalton rice protein is one of the major allergens in rice grain extract and responsible for cross-allergenicity between cereal grains in the poaceae family. Int Arch Allergy Immunol, 1991; 96(3):244-252

Wen T-N and Luthe DS. Biochemical characterization of rice glutelin. Plant Physiol, 1985; 78:172-177 

Yamada K, Urisu A, Komada H, et al. [involvement of rice protein 16KD in cross- allergenicity between antigens in rice, wheat, corn, Japanese millet, Italian millet].[Article in Japanese] Arerugi, 1991; 40(12):1485-1495

Racusen D and Foote M. A major soluble glycoprotein of potato tubers. J Food Biochem, 1980; 4(1):43-52

Vos-Scheperkeuter GH, De Boer W, Visser RGF, et al. Identification of granule-bound starch synthase in potato tubers. Plant Physiol, 1986; 82:411-416

Vos-Scheperkeuter GH, de Wit JG, Ponstein AS, et al. Immunological comparison of the starch branching enzymes from potato tubers and maize kernels. Plant Physiol, 1989; 90:75-84

Scott Adams Grand Master

Please explain how these citations relate to the topic at hand--they do not mention Cyrex labs and the reliability of their tests. Looking at the titles, many seem to be about allergies and have nothing obviously related to Cyrex Labs' " cross- reactive" tests.

Scott

kareng Grand Master

No evidence you say? ]

Yes, we still say that. Your links appear to be about allergies. If you are a doctor, as your " name" suggests, you know that Celiac disease is not an allergy.

The topic was about the reliability of a company that says it will take your money to run tests, such as for gluten sensitivity or Celiac " cross- reactive foods". Currently, there are no medically approved tests for this. The " cross- reactive" foods in Celiac theory has no reliable data at this time.

• 6 months later...
Richard Rosen Newbie

VERY curious as to whether anyone has taken the Cross-reaction (#4) Array test from Cyrex Labs?

I've taken it twice upon the recommendation of my alternative medical practicioner. It is used to discover "cross-reactives," foods which your body treats as eating gluten. Here's a good explanation of it: Open Original Shared Link

The results of the #4 Array test came in positive for several foods, which I had substantially reduced. I am now planning on abstainng from them as I do from gluten. (Since I lack outward symptoms, I don't have the same immediacy of motivation as those of you who react awefully.)

A little background: My gastroenterologist is close to labeling my condition as refractory sprue. Antibody tests over the last 18 months show that I successfully avoid gluten. So my thinking is that the cross-reactives may the problem. I'll see the results when I take another antibody test in the futre.

kareng Grand Master

6 months later, the accepted medical/ research still says the same thing:

Open Original Shared Link

"What’s with all the talk about certain types of food causing “cross-reactivity?”

There is not yet reliable data about cross-reactivity. As for the alleged possibility that many gluten-free foods or drinks (such as coffee, milk, orange juice, etc.) would trigger symptoms in celiac individuals due to hidden antigens mimicking gluten or cross-reacting with anti-gluten antibodies, it must be clearly stated that this is all false information, devoid of any scientific basis, and must be rejected as untrue."

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Personally, a chiropractor saved my life with their supplements.  They can be trained in nutrition.  My orthostatic blood pressure would dive bomb before the supplements, after taking them it went back to a normal curve.  Doctors (of any kind) are in business to make money.  How come we point at chiropractors and make this their downfall?  I think it better to treat with carefully selected nutrients (which tend to build health) rather than drugs that have harmful side effects. 

.  Dr. Thomas O'Bryan, DC, CCN, DACBN.

1.  DC:   Doctor of chiropractic

2. CCN:   Clinical Nutrition Post graduate study Open Original Shared Link  The link shows requirement for this degree.

3. DACBN:   Diplomate of the American Chiropractic  Board of Nutrition   I noticed it required atleast two years of nutrition work. Open Original Shared Link  The link lists requirements for such a degree.

I am noticing too that the Gluten Free Summit associated with Tom O'Bryan  is supporting this celiac forum! 

How much training does an MD receive in nutrition, and aren't celiac problems mostly treated by acquiring appropriate nutrition?

I have no personal experience with Dr. O'Brian, but have had experience with others that have helped me immensely, but are slammed as scammers here on this forum.

Gemini Experienced

Personally, a chiropractor saved my life with their supplements.  They can be trained in nutrition.  My orthostatic blood pressure would dive bomb before the supplements, after taking them it went back to a normal curve.  Doctors (of any kind) are in business to make money.  How come we point at chiropractors and make this their downfall?  I think it better to treat with carefully selected nutrients (which tend to build health) rather than drugs that have harmful side effects. 

.  Dr. Thomas O'Bryan, DC, CCN, DACBN.

1.  DC:   Doctor of chiropractic

2. CCN:   Clinical Nutrition Post graduate study Open Original Shared Link  The link shows requirement for this degree.

3. DACBN:   Diplomate of the American Chiropractic  Board of Nutrition   I noticed it required atleast two years of nutrition work. Open Original Shared Link  The link lists requirements for such a degree.

I am noticing to that the Gluten Free Summit is supporting the forum!

How much training does an MD receive in nutrition, and aren't celiac problems mostly treated by acquiring appropriate nutrition?

Chiropractors are doctors who go to school almost as long as an internist.  They just are specilaized in muscle and bone. I have one who is a Godsend and has helped me out of a jam many times.  He is also pretty well versed in nutrition but the difference is that he does not push any supplements on me. He does sell some but never acts as a salesman when I have an appointment.  He also does not align himself with any wishy washy labs, like Cyrex. His main goal is make your problem go away, using good chiropractic techniques.

As of yet, there is no proof whatsoever that other foods are seen as gluten-like and "cross react". Most people with undiagnosed Celiac or GS are suffering from a food issue already and other foods will bother them for awhile. It has nothing to do with gluten. If people want to waste their time and money on this stuff, this is a free country and they can. That's why scams are so prevalent today.....there are too many people who do not learn as much as they can about their condition and the right way to treat it, so make the mistake of believing someone who is nothing more than a salesman. I like chiropractors and think they serve a great purpose, like any other good doctor, but not those who prey on sick people looking for a quick cure to their problems by taking a million supplements and having tests done that have no merit whatsoever.  There is no test for gluten sensitivity, at least not yet. I would trust a chiro for nutritional advice regarding muscle and bone but for autoimmune issues, not so much. Unless, of course, my chiro had Celiac Disease. :)

Archived