• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jctb

• Topics

• I was working at a anime convention this weekend setting up and running A/V for panel rooms, I know I was handling a bunch of stuff, and around gluten eaters EVERYWHERE, people were walking around eating stuff, and I had to work with equipment others were using while snacking on gluten foods.....and one meal I went and fixed in my room I rushed and did not wash my hands....I got glutened from touch CC, but I was not vomiting like I normally would, either not enough there or perhaps it changed again. I instead about a hour later started zoning out and having brain fog, loopy thoughts repeating, anxiety, heighten pulse up to 183bpm then a hour later EXTREME gut pain to the point of tears. pulse drop to the 30s and I had to sleep it off, and since then I have had extreme constipation, NO feeling in my hands (I pulled a pan from the oven this morning...no cup towel), and I noticed I have red splotches on my face? NEVER seen this, I also have little pimples on my back and chest....NOT seen these since I was a kid.....oddest thing was NO swollen lymp, NO D, and NO vomiting.....the ever evolving celiac response I guess.......I almost questioned if it was gluten, but the numbness, and C is a SURE sign for me of CC in the smallest of amounts....the extreme of it right now tells me I was glutened by a decent amount.  
    • PS I am not questioning you here but mango is a odd food, many people might have a allergy to the skin and out side of the mango but have no issues with the inside meat. Others are allergic to the whole fruit. It has to do with a compound found in the skin that is very harsh and triggers allergic reactions in many people. I myself have a slight allergy to mango, plums, appricots,...Oddly cherries, almonds do not bother me but, those 3 will cause me to get all stuffy, eyes water,  drainage and stuffy galore, and I just feel miserable.

OH and this as a very old and dead thread you revived, check the date.
    • Hello! I apologize in advance if this is long and a bit detailed, but I'm feeling very anxious, and have so many questions. I'm a 36 year old woman. I've had lots of digestive issues over the last few years. Nothing overly bad, but definitely unpredictable, comes and goes. I deal with anxiety, and have dark circles. There have also been times where my iron, b12, or vot has been on the low side.  In November I started having pain on my lower left side. I made a Dr appt (my Dr. is not great, but its very difficult to find another here). She asked me a bunch of questions...when I told her I had diarrhea she said maybe I was taking too much magnesium. She ordered some blood work and an ultrasound of the area. Things came back normal. I was also having this full feeling, like I had to poop and it was stuck, sometimes also the typical feeling of being full in my stomach. But I was usually pooping every day (sometimes just a little). I would also get some random hives. Just one or two, and they would go away pretty quick. I decided to see a naturopath, and eliminated all grains for 5 weeks. I still didn't feel great (sometimes diarrhea, or that full in my bum feeling, but overall better than on grains!!!). The pain in my side went away. No hives. I slowly started to reintroduce grains, and was generally feeling ok. I wasn't eating much gluten, not everyday. I was on holidays, so I would have a beer or two while preparing dinner (camping), but otherwise it would be every 2-3 days and a small amount (not like before!!) About 3 weeks after going back to grains, I had a tooth infection and went on antibiotics. Still eating the same way, feeling mostly fine (mostly normal poops). 10 days after the antibiotics was finished, I had been at a party wasn't feeling great. I went to the washroom and I had apparently been constipated, as there was a lot, and it was hard and dark. Then there was some blood and mucus. The mucus continued for the next day, sometimes with a small tinge of blood. I also had a few hives again. Of course I was very concerned. I called the pharmacist to ask if the antibiotics could have caused this. He said to see a Dr, but that yes, Clindamycin can do this. My Dr. was away, so I went to a clinic. Dr said the pharmacist was concerned about c-diff, but she didn't think that was it. She ran a bunch of bloodwork (including celiac testing and a test looking for inflammation). I had no gluten for the next couple of days. They ended up calling saying it was fine. Assuming there was no celiac I had some bread, then the next morning a piece of my kid's cinnamon bun Next afternoon Dr herself called to say surprisingly the celiac test had come back positive. She said it was in the grey area  [My number was 24] (under 20 negative, 20-24 indeterminate, 25 plus positive).  She did say, however, because I had only been eating gluten sparingly, for a month, that this could be why it wasn't higher. I've been feeling pretty yuck the last few days. I have the feeling like I can't push out a bm, I've had a bit of diarrhea, I'm thirsty even though I'm drinking water, and I've been incredibly anxious and moody. I spoke to my naturopath, she said that this could all be a flare from having the gluten, especially after having been on antibiotics and all my good bacteria was wiped out.  I don't know if I have some sort of internal hemmroid, or tear from when I had the bleeding, or if this feeling can be part of celiac (if I do have it). I am trying to get an appt with my Dr, because as of right now I don't have one until Sept 14...shes been away.   Does anyone have any advice or experience that may help calm me or shed some light. I'm such a mess right now, assuming I have cancer, and I'm trying to not let my mind wander. I do realize no one here can tell me anything for sure, but from what I gather this disease can do some strange things to our bodies...I've requested a few books from the library, to read up on it.
    • Yes, we like peanut butter in the blender with frozen bananas and a liquid (juice, coconut water, almond milk...). You can add berries or even ginger and turmeric.
    • Yes, because each persons immune system is different there's a lot of uncertainty around tests. I think I'd be gluten-free for a couple of weeks when I first tested and my doctor thought it wouldn't make a difference. I often wonder if I'd have got a test just before going gluten-free, when I felt at deaths door, whether I'd have got a different answer. I also cut my challenge a little short due to being so Ill on gluten which may have prejudiced the result.  Dont think your not alone however, so many here remove the gluten first, typically for good reasons and sometimes at the urging of a medical professional who themselves may not be aware of the testing protocol...
  • Upcoming Events