This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need On-The-Go Breakfast Ideas

BeFree

BeFree Contributor

Hello all, I'll be starting a new job soon where I'll be needing to leave for work very early in the morning, and I want a quick, healthy, not messy, on-the-go breakfast I can eat in the car. The packaged gluten-free cereal bars would work, but they are SO EXPENSIVE. Any other ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

- How about making (or buying) delicious crackers or even focaccia bread and take along some great cheese?

- Hard boiled eggs

- Homemade cereal bars??

- Dried fruit and nuts (even fruit leather - easy to make)

- Homemade biscuits, scones, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, biscotti, brownies

RiceGuy Collaborator

When it comes to making any meal economical, I'd say make it yourself from scratch. There are plenty of recipes for protein bars and other things posted on the board, and in the recipe section of Celiac.com. And, if a hot breakfast would be of interest to you, I suppose a thermos would keep a soup or protein shake hot for awhile.

To save time, these things could be prepared on the weekend, and stored in the fridge or freezer.

Jetamio Apprentice

My big thing since going gluten-free is smoothies. They seem to really agree with my body right now. Banana, frozen berries or other fruit, unsweetened almond milk, blend in a Magic Bullet, pour in a travel cup and go. Sometimes I add a little nut butter for extra protein or some safe protein powder. There are lots of recipes out there to play with too.

BeFree Contributor

Thanks, those are good ideas. How about those Carnation Instant Breakfast Drinks? I used to like those a lot. Are those safe?

sariesue Explorer

Thanks, those are good ideas. How about those Carnation Instant Breakfast Drinks? I used to like those a lot. Are those safe?

The chocolate packets are definetly NOT safe. You may want to research the ingredients in the vanilla ones.

BeFree Contributor

The chocolate packets are definetly NOT safe. You may want to research the ingredients in the vanilla ones.

OK thanks for the heads up, vanilla was my favorite one anyway, *fingers crossed*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ryniev Apprentice

I have a vanilla gluten-free protein mix and I add spinich, mango, blueberries, raspberries and pineapple chunks and drink it in the car. I also made homeade gluten-free peanut butter granola (if you can tolerate gluten-free oats) and add that to vanilla yogurt with blueberries and cinnamon. I'm not a big bread eater but I keep a loaf of Rudi's or Udi's on hand and make peanut butter toast. If I'm really running late I take a Lara bar and a piece of fruit.

The Lara bars are pricey and I just go on the computer to see if I could google a recipe for homeade ones.

And score! Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

Nature valley makes an almond crunch bar that is gluten-free. It sometimes goes on sale just like the other ones do.

I like to take sliced cheese and melt it on corn tortillas in the microwave, then roll or fold. Make a mix of nuts, seeds, raisins, craisins, etc. Put some in a cup in your car cup holder.

If you make some muffins ahead & keep in the freezer, just leave one out the night before or microwave a frozen one. You could make any kind of sandwich the night before & grab it in the morning. I like PB&J for breakfast. You could toast the bread and make egg salad if you like that. I got a microwave egg cooker. It's for making an egg McMuffin type thing. You can put an egg and a piece of bacon or ham in it & it comes out round and holds together for a sandwich. I like it best just an egg and a bit of shredded Parm,

You might need to tweak your definition of breakfast. :)

BeFree Contributor

Question:

BeFree Contributor

"Nature valley makes an almond crunch bar that is gluten-free. It sometimes goes on sale just like the other ones do."

Thanks for that info! NV Bars are what I used to eat for breakfast everyday. I love everyone's creative ideas like hard-boiled eggs (I never would have thought of that!), but I also need something shelf-stable that I can just grab and go, in case I have been too busy to cook or prepare anything in advance.

kareng Grand Master

"Nature valley makes an almond crunch bar that is gluten-free. It sometimes goes on sale just like the other ones do."

Thanks for that info! NV Bars are what I used to eat for breakfast everyday. I love everyone's creative ideas like hard-boiled eggs (I never would have thought of that!), but I also need something shelf-stable that I can just grab and go, in case I have been too busy to cook or prepare anything in advance.

Just the ones that say gluten-free......not the ones with the oats! The oats are not gluten-free!

Just want to make sure I was clear. :)

lpellegr Collaborator

Most things we can suggest for breakfast might be too messy to eat in the car but if you can wait until you get to work, that might give you more options. When I used to commute by train, I would drink tea out of my thermos and eat cereal and raisins out of a bag (no milk, just dry cereal, Cheerios being my staple). Combining Rice Chex, nuts, and raisins would make something you can eat out of a cup in the cupholder and would have protein and fiber to get you through the morning. Homemade Chex mix would also work. You could make up several daily servings in plastic bags on the weekend, then grab one each day and dump it into your traveling cup. No refrigeration or cooking required before heading out the door. Any kind of sandwich you can make would also work. If you have time to toast a frozen waffle and smear it with cream cheese, that will also hold you.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

You can definitely make your own Lara bars - takes just a few minutes in the food processor and they are amazing! Like someone else suggested, I also make my own muffins (I use the recipes from Elana's pantry) and freeze them, then throw them in the microwave on the defrost setting in the morning. You can also bake eggs in a muffin tin. Maybe homemade granola with gluten free oats?

BeFree Contributor

So back from the store, here's the report:

All Carnation drinks have wheat starch listed as the LAST ingredient. GRRRRRR!

I looked at Boost drinks, they are gluten-free but they have soy protein. Can't have soy.

Nature Valley Almond Roast bars have soy in them, darn-it.

For this week I've settled on ham and cheese rolled into corn tortillas, cut up into bites so I can eat it easily in the car. Tasty, cheap, filling, and it will give me the protein I need to have the energy to start my new job. Thanks for all the ideas and I'll file them away in my new gluten-free recipe box! :)

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

Can also scramble some eggs/cheese/meat/veggies & roll it up in corn tortillas.

• 3 weeks later...
BeFree Contributor

When I was at Walmart today I found a NEW brand of gluten-free cereal bars that I had never seen before, in the regular section with the regular cereal bars, not the gluten-free section. They are much cheaper than the ones in the gluten-free section and they are certified gluten-free and also have no soy ingredients!!! They are called "Glenny's" brand.

Skylark Collaborator

I like almond flour muffins and I'll often add banana or squash. They have a lot more protein than gluten-free muffins made from grains so they make a pretty complete breakfast.

Juliebove Rising Star

So back from the store, here's the report:

All Carnation drinks have wheat starch listed as the LAST ingredient. GRRRRRR!

I looked at Boost drinks, they are gluten-free but they have soy protein. Can't have soy.

Nature Valley Almond Roast bars have soy in them, darn-it.

For this week I've settled on ham and cheese rolled into corn tortillas, cut up into bites so I can eat it easily in the car. Tasty, cheap, filling, and it will give me the protein I need to have the energy to start my new job. Thanks for all the ideas and I'll file them away in my new gluten-free recipe box! :)

I am looking at drugstore.com and do not see wheat listed. But they do have soy.

freeatlast Collaborator

Enjoy Life has pretty decent bars. Got mine at Wal Mart last weekend in their gluten-free section. Very good. Not too sweet.

mamaw Community Regular

How about breakfast poppers! scrambled eggs with veggies,cooked sausage, cheese, a bit of hot sauce, pour into mini muffin tins bake& take. I make a bunch of these freeze them & nuke a minute & out the door they go...

freeatlast Collaborator

How about breakfast poppers! scrambled eggs with veggies,cooked sausage, cheese, a bit of hot sauce, pour into mini muffin tins bake& take. I make a bunch of these freeze them & nuke a minute & out the door they go...

How long do you bake 'em?

Archived