This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated And Alarmed About Weight Gain

Coolclimates

Coolclimates Collaborator

I've been on the gluten-free diet for nearly 2 years now. When I was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2 years ago, I had been losing a lot of weight and people were getting concerned. Since going on the gluten-free diet, I first gained weight, then lost it (and went through a long period where I was very sick) and have since gained it all back plus extra. I've gained about 5-6 pounds from my ideal weight since December. Pants are beginning to not fit. Suddenly, for the first time in 12 years, I am worrying about gaining weight. I've been so used to eating as much as I wanted and not gaining anything (in fact losing weight) that now I'm beginning to panic. I know this probably sounds trivial to some of your experiences, but I'm just so afraid I'll keep gaining weight. For the last few weeks, I've been walking a lot more and trying to exercise more and also work on my diet. I'm addicted to carbs and sweets and I know that isn't healthy. However, I've never had a problem with eating too much. I'm just worried because I've started exercising a lot more and watching my diet more but haven't lost any weight. Anyway, I'm just venting but I'm really afraid about continuing to gain weight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I've been on the gluten-free diet for nearly 2 years now. When I was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2 years ago, I had been losing a lot of weight and people were getting concerned. Since going on the gluten-free diet, I first gained weight, then lost it (and went through a long period where I was very sick) and have since gained it all back plus extra. I've gained about 5-6 pounds from my ideal weight since December. Pants are beginning to not fit. Suddenly, for the first time in 12 years, I am worrying about gaining weight. I've been so used to eating as much as I wanted and not gaining anything (in fact losing weight) that now I'm beginning to panic. I know this probably sounds trivial to some of your experiences, but I'm just so afraid I'll keep gaining weight. For the last few weeks, I've been walking a lot more and trying to exercise more and also work on my diet. I'm addicted to carbs and sweets and I know that isn't healthy. However, I've never had a problem with eating too much. I'm just worried because I've started exercising a lot more and watching my diet more but haven't lost any weight. Anyway, I'm just venting but I'm really afraid about continuing to gain weight.

Eat cleaner and move more. And age has a way to creep up on us.

GFinDC Veteran

It might help to make sure you eat some protein with every meal. And then wait a while before eating any dessert. The "I am full" signal from our tummies can take a little bit to get going.

You could also check your blood glucose, to be sure something isn't going on there.

Dee777 Rookie

I hate to say this, but drop the carbs and sweets. Lots of fresh fruit will satisfy the "sweet" cravings. Eat more veggies, especially those less starchy ones. Lots of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. Limit potatoes and corn. Lots of leafy green salads light on the dressing. I had this problem after I was diagnosed too. Lost lots of weight then after going gluten free was deathly ill and lost more weight then put it back on, and then some too. Nothing worked... I wasn't over eating but gained and gained fast. Dropped the breads and sweets and exercised more and now am losing again. Also I feel better, more alert and energetic. I don't LIKE exercising more :) But, it's the only thing that is working. I joined the online Weight Watchers for guidance to limit portions and it is working. I hope this helps you, good luck.

Gemini Experienced

Two words......weight train! :D

I have never had to worry about my weight, either, but needed to weight train to battle osteoporosis. The lovely little side effect of serious weight training is once your muscle mass becomes leaner, you burn a hell of a lot more calories. I can literally eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and my weight stays stable within 3 pounds of ideal. I keep trying to tell people who struggle with their weight to start picking up free weights and lift....it's amazing.

I mainly eat a whole foods diet BUT I also love a sweet treat or 2. There is nothing wrong with indulging your sweet tooth, as long as you eat plenty of the good foods

every day. You will just burn it off once you train for a bit. Life is boring without a cookie or brownie! ;)

Skylark Collaborator

I hate to say this, but drop the carbs and sweets. Lots of fresh fruit will satisfy the "sweet" cravings. Eat more veggies, especially those less starchy ones. Lots of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. Limit potatoes and corn. Lots of leafy green salads light on the dressing. I had this problem after I was diagnosed too. Lost lots of weight then after going gluten free was deathly ill and lost more weight then put it back on, and then some too. Nothing worked... I wasn't over eating but gained and gained fast. Dropped the breads and sweets and exercised more and now am losing again. Also I feel better, more alert and energetic. I don't LIKE exercising more :) But, it's the only thing that is working. I joined the online Weight Watchers for guidance to limit portions and it is working. I hope this helps you, good luck.

This works for me too. If I eat carbs and sweets I crave more and I overeat. They make me tired too. It's hard to overeat veggies.

in the last month, I have gotten a mile counter and am walking much more, sometimes up to 3.5 miles a day (fast!). I also have joined MyFitnessPal.com and am recording everything I eat. And I'm trying very hard to eat more vegetables and less carbs and sweets. Hopefully this will do the trick, or at least help. I also swim and do yoga on days I don't walk as far. I used to do weight training but stopped because I really don't like it. But perhaps I should consider it again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

in the last month, I have gotten a mile counter and am walking much more, sometimes up to 3.5 miles a day (fast!). I also have joined MyFitnessPal.com and am recording everything I eat. And I'm trying very hard to eat more vegetables and less carbs and sweets. Hopefully this will do the trick, or at least help. I also swim and do yoga on days I don't walk as far. I used to do weight training but stopped because I really don't like it. But perhaps I should consider it again.

I have never gotten the results from any other kind of exercise that I am seeing and feeling now from weight training. Plus, as a Celiac, you need to do bone building exercise to avoid osteoporosis. The other stuff you are doing is very good and should be kept up as you enjoy these but maybe add some weights while you are walking? Hand held weights or a weight vest? They are pretty cool. The weight is distributed evenly over the vest but you get quite the work-out. You just need to find the right work-out rate/food intake combo that will work. You'll get there!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

And if you alter your diet, add exercise and are still gaining....get your thyroid checked. You are at a heightened risk for hypothyroidism, ya know :).

peeptoad Apprentice

I have never gotten the results from any other kind of exercise that I am seeing and feeling now from weight training. Plus, as a Celiac, you need to do bone building exercise to avoid osteoporosis. The other stuff you are doing is very good and should be kept up as you enjoy these but maybe add some weights while you are walking? Hand held weights or a weight vest? They are pretty cool. The weight is distributed evenly over the vest but you get quite the work-out. You just need to find the right work-out rate/food intake combo that will work. You'll get there!

This is my problem right now... I have a really hard time getting my self to use the hand weights. I love, LOVE aerobic exercise (walking, running, hiking, love it all and do it all the time), but I just can't seem to get myself to lift wegihts even though I know that's what my body needs.

:P

OP, I second the rec to get your thyroid checked if all else fails...

• 3 weeks later...

well, I'm back after a month from posting here and I'm happy to say that I've lost about 6 or so pounds. In fact, I am very close to being my target weight (if not at it already). I've been exercising a lot more and also being much more careful about what I eat, and writing it all down. I've been actively eating more salads and vegetables and less baked goods. I'm exercising nearly every day, sometimes burning up to 300 or so calories. Now the trick is to maintain my weight. I don't have much more to lose. So does that mean I start eating more calories or exercising less? I've been bad about doing weights, but have been doing lots of walking, fitness/treadmill machines and swimming. I'm more concerned about losing body fat right now than gaining muscle. Although I'm sure it won't hurt to do weights as well...just hate doing them. BTW, I've gotten my thyroid checked frequently and don't have a problem with that. Both of my parents have hypothryoid, though, so I check often.

Archived