• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Pink Himalayan Sea Salt From Trader Joe's

11 posts in this topic

Last Friday I bought a grinder bottle of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt from Trader Joe's, and used it several times during the weekend. Last night I noticed that it is made in a facility that also processes wheat. Heck. You'd think salt would be safe, right? :blink: Today my digestive system is a little off, with some nausea and tummy rumbles. I'm also achy and tired and feel 'fibro-y', which is my more usual response to gluten.

Should I be blaming the salt? Or is this 'cya' from TJ's, do you think? I ate at home all weekend, only had food that I prepared in my own kitchen. (My kitchen is shared with my spouse who is not gluten free, but we are very careful. Last week I bought myself my very own brand new toaster, so we are no longer sharing the toaster oven. It was time.)

Maybe I should give away that salt. humph. <_<

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

All those "shared facility" labels are CYA to some degree. It's hard to imagine they got gluten in salt. :blink: I'd put it in the back of the cupboard for a month or two and see whether the weird feelings appear without the salt, meaning something else is getting you.

I have had terrible experiences with products from Trader Joes. When I called them to let them know about my experience with the item that was listed as gluten-free, they said that they do not guarantee CC, needless to say I do not shop there. I know a lot of people with Celiac do however, and are fine. Maybe is just good old hyper sensitive me.

I would say that if something makes you sick, don't eat it. Don't depend on whether or not it makes someone else sick. We all have different levels of sensitivity. That being said, it can be really hard to be certain about exactly what it was that made you sick. Keep a food/symptom journal, that can help.

If you're looking for salt with amazing flavor I'd recommend Real Salt. (Yup, that's what it's called.) It's mined in Utah and is so absolutely amazing I'll never go near "table" salt again. It is my understanding (although you should check yourself) that the salt is packaged locally and there is no risk of cc. Since I live mere miles from the mine though I'm not sure if this changes outside the local area. I've been tempted to try the pink Himalayan salt but just haven't ever gotten around to it and considering the price of local stuff I can't really justify the cost.

Ads by Google:

I use over 20 kinds of pure sea salt that I collect from my travels and thankfully have never had problems. However, they are all regional - I've been to the salt pans in Trapani, Sicily, and Pag Island, Croatia, and purchased directly. Same with Maldon from England. Coarse Himalayan sea salt makes a nice finishing salt. My point is to buy from the source if you can. I like the sounds of that Utah salt - sounds intriguing.

I have never set foot in a Trader Joe's (we don't have them here) so cannot comment on that aspect.

If you're looking for salt with amazing flavor I'd recommend Real Salt. (Yup, that's what it's called.) It's mined in Utah and is so absolutely amazing I'll never go near "table" salt again. It is my understanding (although you should check yourself) that the salt is packaged locally and there is no risk of cc. Since I live mere miles from the mine though I'm not sure if this changes outside the local area. I've been tempted to try the pink Himalayan salt but just haven't ever gotten around to it and considering the price of local stuff I can't really justify the cost.

I also have Real Salt at home, and Celtic Sea Salt. The Real Salt is lovely stuff! I carry some with me when I travel, as processed table salt just tastes awful to me now, sharp and bitter. I guess I'm becoming a salt snob! :lol:

I use over 20 kinds of pure sea salt that I collect from my travels and thankfully have never had problems. However, they are all regional - I've been to the salt pans in Trapani, Sicily, and Pag Island, Croatia, and purchased directly. Same with Maldon from England. Coarse Himalayan sea salt makes a nice finishing salt. My point is to buy from the source if you can. I like the sounds of that Utah salt - sounds intriguing.

I have never set foot in a Trader Joe's (we don't have them here) so cannot comment on that aspect.

Your reply made me smile. :D I love that you collect regional salts! Do they each have specific uses?

I appreciate the replies. I don't know if the salt is CC'd, ("made on shared equipment with wheat") or it's something else, or not food related at all. Because I generally have a lag time for reaction of roughly 18 to 24 hours, it's hard to connect the dots. However, this too shall pass, and I am being very gentle with my digestive system this week.

Your reply made me smile. :D I love that you collect regional salts! Do they each have specific uses?

Really? Thanks! Admittedly I am a food snob. And a salt snob. One of my favourite books is a large one on salt. Just salt. Brilliant book. Anyway, they do have specific uses. Most are for finishing (i.e. fleur de sel or sel gris for sprinkling on steak just taken off the grill; one for sprinkling on soft lettuces such as Bibb; a few for sprinkling on roasted vegetables...). Smoked Maldon is lovely - such a wonderful pure salt flavour in pyramid shapes that do not melt on something warm. I would never use any of these salts in cooking - it would be a waste as they would melt. Then what's the point?

Many people bring back jewelery or clothes from their travels; I bring back ingredients such as salts. :D

I guess I'm becoming a salt snob! :lol:

Um...you and me both. I'm obsessed with different salts and their characteristics. ;)