This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hashimoto's

India

India Contributor

I recently had my TSH level tested and is is apparently fine. Are any additional or different tests needed if the problem is Hashimoto's rather than straightforward hypothyroidism?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Hashimoto's is handled like any other hypothryroidism. My endocrinologist runs T4 and T3 along with the TSH though. If you're only getting TSH and still having hypo symptoms you may need more testing.

India Contributor

Thank you. I'll ask my doctor exactly what was tested. I am getting tireder and tireder and all the symptoms match.

gem75 Rookie

TO check for hashimoto's you specifically need to get antibodies tested. TPO and your thyroid antigloubin (i think the 2nd one is called that). You also should get a full thyroid panel that consists of tsh, t3, ft3, f4, ft3, and the antibodies. Iron and vit D are important too.

Skylark Collaborator

thyroid antigloubin

Anti-thyroglobulin. ;)

I'm not meaning to be a pest, by the way. I just thought I'd put the right name in the thread so India can ask for the test from her Dr. I know them all too well because I have Hashi's. :( It doesn't matter much though. There is nothing to be done for thyroid autoimmunity other than give thyroid hormones and watch it like any other hypothyroid condition.

India Contributor

Thank you for this extra info. I'll make a note of it all. Can the other tests show up something even if the TSH is normal? My wretched vitamin D always seems to be low.

Also, do the thyroid hormones help, or are you stuck with the symptoms? I do hope you've had sme success with treatment x

Skylark Collaborator

Yes, the other tests are separate from TSH. You will feel normal with thyroid hormones if they are necessary, though some people like me only find they feel normal with natural thyroid like Armour or NP Thyroid. Endocrinologists can be reluctant to prescribe natural thyroid supplements so you may have to fight for it if straight T4 (levothyroxine) doesn't help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

India Contributor

I think I may have to fight for the extra tests but I'll give it a go. Glad you've found a way to feel normal... I'm trying to remember what that's like. Your advice is appreciated :)

Skylark Collaborator

I think I may have to fight for the extra tests but I'll give it a go. Glad you've found a way to feel normal... I'm trying to remember what that's like. Your advice is appreciated :)

No, I don't feel normal. I've been having chronic migraines and cognitive problems since my Hashimoto's got bad almost two years ago. But natural thyroid at least keeps the hypo- symptoms at bay.

India Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that. I understood that cognitive problems are a part of Hashimoto's and they are my biggest problem at present - you have my sympathy.

NutritionalCeliac Newbie

My mother has Hashimoto's and although I have had every test under the sun for my thyroid, there has never been an conclusion as to the similar symptoms which I experienced. I can say however that when I am ill or something bothers me in my diet I can have everything from fatigue to a severe goiter. As I recently had these problems within the last couple of months I too was slightly low in vitamin d. Vitamin d being low can really make you feel miserable but a lot of times I will have hormonal problems right before I come down with something or am recovering, or even fighting off a cold and not having any other symptoms. In the process of fighting off an illness a lot of times I get symptoms that clearly are problematic but that show no abnormal levels in bloodwork. Further testing revealed no other problems but interestingly I have had some bad strains of bacteria in my system which causes my antibodies to attack my throat and thyroid, due to a hightened immune response. It is a reoccuring problem I have but sometimes I don't even realize I'm sick. It's quite easy for me to get infections and bacteria can build up without my knowing. Although you may have Hashimoto's if all bloodwork is inconclusive, I would recommend checking bacteria levels, infection, and def get plenty of sunshine. It makes a big difference. I take a supplement called ther-biotic detoxification support by klaire labs which counters the bad bacteria in your system by replacing it with good. My dietician or nutritionalist recommended it to me. That too is always helpful in preventing any buildup. I find that everything in my life is a result of some sort of nutritional problem. My problems have resolved on their own, next to sunshine, and preventing bacteria buildup. But i am no doctor and I do not know your situation. There are also other diseases, autoimmune, etc. that may cause thyroid problems and similar symptoms.

beachbirdie Contributor

Thank you for this extra info. I'll make a note of it all. Can the other tests show up something even if the TSH is normal? My wretched vitamin D always seems to be low.

Also, do the thyroid hormones help, or are you stuck with the symptoms? I do hope you've had sme success with treatment x

Yes, the other tests are separate from TSH. You will feel normal with thyroid hormones if they are necessary, though some people like me only find they feel normal with natural thyroid like Armour or NP Thyroid. Endocrinologists can be reluctant to prescribe natural thyroid supplements so you may have to fight for it if straight T4 (levothyroxine) doesn't help.

I agree with Skylark. It is important, once you are being treated for hypothyroid, to have them test your actual thyroid hormones. They should run the Free T3 and Free T4 tests along with TSH. TSH alone is not the way to adjust thyroid meds, it doesn't reveal much about your thyroid function if you are being treated with supplementary hormone.

"Normal" TSH could be too high for you.

gem75 Rookie

Actually there is SOMETHING you can do when you have hashi's (besides treating your disease with thyroid meds) you can go gluten-free. gluten-free can stop the autoimmune attack on your thyroid. If you have hashi's you most likely shuld be gluten-free.

Also taking supplements can help, iodine has controversy, i take it, and sellenium is know to bring down antibodies.

gem75 Rookie

and YES your tsh can be normal and you can still be suffering thyroid disease. The antibodies will tell you if you have hashimoto's , which is the autoimmune diseae attached to hypo thyroid:(

Skylark Collaborator

I'm sorry to hear that. I understood that cognitive problems are a part of Hashimoto's and they are my biggest problem at present - you have my sympathy.

Thanks for the kind words. :) You have my sympathy as well. Cognitive problems are no fun at all.

• 3 months later...
serenity1 Newbie

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Hashi's a year ago. Was quite freaked out, as you can imagine. Did tons of research, but not much hopeful info. Anyway, I went gluten and dairy free, started with supplements, improved my lifestyle. My antibodies started going down in count and the last few tests they were pretty much gone! No medication, by the way, although my doc wanted me to start those if things didn't improve.

Yes. I believe gluten has something to do with it (read some reference to a study about it).

I really hontestly believe Hashi's can be cured or controlled naturally. Just have to find naturopath doctor. I have some references if you are in Chicago.

I lot of icky symptoms are gone, such as tiredness, being cold all the time, difficulty getting out of bed, cloudy thinking, etc. Even my acne disappeared :)

By the way, my doc also told me that Hashimoto's can be affected by other imbalances, such as low iron and adrenal fatigue. etc (which is what I had). So you kinda have to check for a bunch of things and balance all systems in order to achieve faster recovery.

If you want to know more about my experience, feel free to ask...

I wish you all the best and quickest recovery.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

Absolutely get the testing for autoimmune thyroid- I had always had normal TSH tests, but once learning I had celiac my GI ran the more complete thyroid panel (T3, T4 etc) in addition to the testing for autoimmune thyroid. I am normal on all of the above tests, but it is a great thing to know that and go on making myself healthy. It is such useful information.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
mamacat Rookie

They can also do a fine-needle biopsy and look at the cells to see if Hashi's exists. I never got tested for that but had a partial thyroidectomy to remove some large nodules, and it was when they looked under the microscope that they saw the Hashimoto cells... and thyroid cancer. So, no thyroid for me anymore, but at least I know I have Hashimoto's (in addition to Celiac) so I have some awareness on what's causing my tiredness, brain fog, etc.

Get the AB test and if you suspect that's what it is, ask for the fine needle biopsy too. They only take out a few cells with a needle they insert into your neck.

Good luck!

Gemini Experienced

They can also do a fine-needle biopsy and look at the cells to see if Hashi's exists. I never got tested for that but had a partial thyroidectomy to remove some large nodules, and it was when they looked under the microscope that they saw the Hashimoto cells... and thyroid cancer. So, no thyroid for me anymore, but at least I know I have Hashimoto's (in addition to Celiac) so I have some awareness on what's causing my tiredness, brain fog, etc.

Get the AB test and if you suspect that's what it is, ask for the fine needle biopsy too. They only take out a few cells with a needle they insert into your neck.

Good luck!

There is no need to have a needle biopsy to check for Hashi's as the blood testing for antibodies will tell you that. The biopsy was used to diagnose before the antibody tests were developed. They usually do the needle biopsy if you have nodules.

Gemini Experienced

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Hashi's a year ago. Was quite freaked out, as you can imagine. Did tons of research, but not much hopeful info. Anyway, I went gluten and dairy free, started with supplements, improved my lifestyle. My antibodies started going down in count and the last few tests they were pretty much gone! No medication, by the way, although my doc wanted me to start those if things didn't improve.

Yes. I believe gluten has something to do with it (read some reference to a study about it).

I really hontestly believe Hashi's can be cured or controlled naturally. Just have to find naturopath doctor. I have some references if you are in Chicago.

I lot of icky symptoms are gone, such as tiredness, being cold all the time, difficulty getting out of bed, cloudy thinking, etc. Even my acne disappeared :)

By the way, my doc also told me that Hashimoto's can be affected by other imbalances, such as low iron and adrenal fatigue. etc (which is what I had). So you kinda have to check for a bunch of things and balance all systems in order to achieve faster recovery.

If you want to know more about my experience, feel free to ask...

I wish you all the best and quickest recovery.

Some people can control their Hashi's without replacement hormone but those are few and far between. For many of us that went many years without a diagnosis, too much damage has been done and that cannot be reversed. Besides, it isn't medication that you take, just replacement hormone that you don't make enough of. There are natural thyroid supplements also, which work very well.

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

Posted in the wrong forum! Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
wayward Newbie

I am having thyroid issues as well (very low fT3). I've been gluten-free for about 7 years now (am celiac) and had thyroid antibodies tested - 34, subclinical. My ND feels like my thyroid issues are likely Hashi's since I am celiac, and said that it's not surprising antibodies would be low since I eat gluten-free/autoimmune friendly. Since the majority of hyop cases are due to Hashi's, I'm inclined to believe her... anyone had any experience with this, subclinical antibodies but Hashi's?

dawn999hall Newbie

I recently had my TSH level tested and is is apparently fine. Are any additional or different tests needed if the problem is Hashimoto's rather than straightforward hypothyroidism?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I wish I had known about Celiac BEFORE Hashimoto's. I had my thyroid removed because I could not stop the autoimmune attack on my thyroid. My TSH was always NORMAL even right before I had my thyroid removed. My symptoms were all related to the auto-immune attack - I felt sick and had cognitive problems. I wonder if I had gone gluten free before I had my thyroid removed if I could have kept my thyroid. When it was removed the biopsy showed that my body had pretty well chewed it up! I don't think that the symptoms you have from Hashimoto's are limited to symptoms of low thyroid. For about 6 months I felt spectacularly awful and it was due to inflammation - probably of my thyroid and my gut. I did have to push my doctor to get me the tests and referrals I needed - it was a process, after every test that showed I was 'normal' and 'healthy' I felt like I had to start over with OK, I get it I don't have "X" diagnosis but I STILL FEEL CRAPPY! What next? Perseverance paid off...I got my dx for Hashimoto's and Celiac and although I still get glutened I am getting better! Hang in there - and keep pushing your doc.

Archived