This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Strand Allergy Test Results

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

So I got my results back from a hair strand allergy test that I took. This is not a completely accuarte test as what can show up is the foods that you eat in large quantities. However, on my list for foods to avoid are rice, corn, whey, tomatoes, plums, cod, avocados, olives, cabbage, spinach, and potatoes. HELP!!!!! I know many of you are doing a no grain diet.....any tips would greatly be appreciated. The suggestion is to follow this list for 2 weeks and then one by one add an item back in and watch for any reaction. I am just wondering what in the world I am going to eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

However, on my list for foods to avoid are rice, corn, whey, tomatoes, plums, cod, avocados, olives, cabbage, spinach, and potatoes.

Chicken, beef, chebe bread, oranges, grapefruit, peas, broccoli, haddock, shrimp, wild rice (which is not rice), cucumbers, carrots, sweet potatos, peppers, apples, pears, peaches and much more is not on that list. Concentrate on what you can eat not what you can't. Then when it is time to add stuff back add one item at a time for a full week to watch for reactions.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

So I got my results back from a hair strand allergy test that I took. This is not a completely accuarte test as what can show up is the foods that you eat in large quantities. However, on my list for foods to avoid are rice, corn, whey, tomatoes, plums, cod, avocados, olives, cabbage, spinach, and potatoes. HELP!!!!! I know many of you are doing a no grain diet.....any tips would greatly be appreciated. The suggestion is to follow this list for 2 weeks and then one by one add an item back in and watch for any reaction. I am just wondering what in the world I am going to eat?

Wow..I've never heard of hair strand allergy testing. I thought they could only tell what you've ingested by checking your hair? I ate without any grains, or potatoes for a while. I just doubled up on the veggies. Corn would be hard because they put it in supplements.

Please let us know how this goes for you?

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

My impression thus far is that hair-strand allergy testing is crock.

Anyone able to weigh in on the scientific merits of it? (skylark...? ._. )

AVR1962 Collaborator

I'm actually hoping it is inaccurate. Has anyone esle done this? Did you find it inaccurate or did you find it helped?

StephanieL Enthusiast

I have never found any information on hair testing being accurate for allergies. Ever. Believe me, if it were accurate, every allergist would use (and we're had 5 and NONE of them use it). *IF* (and that's a big if) there were any accuracy to it, it still wouldn't be for allergies bt intolerances.

All this said, even the "tried and true" allergy testing (RAST, CAP-RAST and Skin Prick Tests) are only 50% accurate. THE "Gold standard" is a food trial.

sariesue Explorer

Before starting such a limited diet, I would DEMAND having a widely used and accepted food allergy testing done. In the US the only widely used and accepted tests are blood tests, skin tests, and oral food challenges. Personally, I would want further testing on those foods before deciding to eliminate them as your initial test is known to be unreliable and there are other widely accepted tests that can be used. If you have a starting list of foods to test it's really not a hard process.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I think I will just try one thing at a time. I wonder why testing is so hard? Dermotology treated my scalp and basically said the same.....that allergy testing is not real accurate but it seems like sifting thru a mountain of options at times.

Lori2 Contributor

I think that some of us are just so tired of working on an elimination diet and coming up with few answers that we are willing to try anything that seems like it might give us a clue of some sort.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I think that some of us are just so tired of working on an elimination diet and coming up with few answers that we are willing to try anything that seems like it might give us a clue of some sort.

Yes, very much so. However, as far as what the test showed I was deficient in may actually answer alot of my questions. The test showed I am deficient in B12, B2, folate, silicone and isoflavonoids. This would explain the nueropathy and while I don't understand the isoflavonoids I did find symptoms and the match my symptoms. My blood work has not shown a vitamin deficiency but nuerologist is runnnig a more specific test as she suspects deficiencies.

Skylark Collaborator

I can't weigh in as the hair strand labs don't even say what or how they're testing! :lol: I do have to say I'm suspicious of it.

Eliminating one food at a time will NOT work. You will not feel better unless you get rid of all the foods to which you reacting. I don't see that you'll have to go grain-free. Are quinoa or amaranth on your list?

• 5 years later...
Hotmuaauma Newbie

I can tell you I completed one of these allergy tests from a deal I found on Groupon and it was a total ripoff and completely false. I have been highly allergic to mango since I was a young child (like epi pen allergic) and mango is one of the allergies they test for, yet I came up negative. I sent them an email questioning this on June 28th and they have yet to reply (Aug. 18). Do yourself a favor and save your money!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
On 8/18/2017 at 8:28 PM, Hotmuaauma said:

I can tell you I completed one of these allergy tests from a deal I found on Groupon and it was a total ripoff and completely false. I have been highly allergic to mango since I was a young child (like epi pen allergic) and mango is one of the allergies they test for, yet I came up negative. I sent them an email questioning this on June 28th and they have yet to reply (Aug. 18). Do yourself a favor and save your money!

PS I am not questioning you here but mango is a odd food, many people might have a allergy to the skin and out side of the mango but have no issues with the inside meat. Others are allergic to the whole fruit. It has to do with a compound found in the skin that is very harsh and triggers allergic reactions in many people. I myself have a slight allergy to mango, plums, appricots,...Oddly cherries, almonds do not bother me but, those 3 will cause me to get all stuffy, eyes water,  drainage and stuffy galore, and I just feel miserable.

OH and this as a very old and dead thread you revived, check the date.

aswain Newbie

You should know that an intolerance is completely different from an allergy, and allergies cannot be tested by DNA testing hair. If you're allergic to mangoes it is not going to show up on a test for intolerances. 

Archived