This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Warning! Quinoa Contamination With Barley

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

It seems that the Kosher community has discovered some Quinoa is being dried covered by barley &/or oats.

Read these 2 links for info.

Open Original Shared Link

On this link, scroll down to hwere you see the article post on Feb. 23,2012

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

I just came across that, too.

Sigh...stuff is everywhere, argh.

Cathey Apprentice

Thank you for that report. I just threw out my Quinoa it wasn't on the list of safe ones. Thanks again.

tom Contributor

Thank you for that report. I just threw out my Quinoa ....

You shouldn't have.

Even if someone apparently traveled to Peru & reported that they saw possible ways for cc in the field, quinoa seeds have husks. The edible part doesn't touch anything but the inside of the husk.

An article about potential hypothetical cc shouldn't set off a panic.

I'm also kinda skeptical about Peruvian farmers of the "ancient grain" changing how they do it a couple yrs ago.

Lisa Mentor

Agreed! ;)

Skylark Collaborator

By the time the quinoa is hulled and the saponin is rinsed off any barley dust would be long gone.

You have to understand when you read this article that the prohibition against eating or even possessing chametz during Passover is absolute. This is from an Orthodox rabbinical council and they are looking for grains that meet certain religious standards. The idea of chametz grains might be used to keep birds off quinoa, even if the finished product is gluten-free by R5 ELISA, is probably enough for them to issue the prohibition.

If you're really worried, the Bob's Red Mill organic quinoa is really nice and it's gluten-free. I am particularly fond of the Bob's quinoa because it's rinsed well enough that it doesn't take any special care to cook.

FernW Rookie

I think I will just stay away from Quinoa for a while, especially for passover. Don't want to get sick and ruin my passover.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

You have to understand when you read this article that the prohibition against eating or even possessing chametz during Passover is absolute. This is from an Orthodox Rabbinical Council and they are looking for grains that meet certain religious standards. The idea of chametz grains used to keep birds off quinoa, even if the finished product is gluten-free by R5 ELISA, is probably enough for them to issue the prohibition.

Interesting Skylark! I learn something every day here - I'm intrigued with the history of religion.

psawyer Proficient

As Skylark said, the dietary rules followed by Orthodox Jews with respect to Passover are inflexible. There must be absolutely no chance of any trace of a prohibited (chametz) grain being in the home during Pesach. Even among Orthodox Rabbis, there is no universal agreement on what the rule means.

I don't think the religious concerns raised by the Chicago Rabbinical Council need worry us. But that is my own opinion. Make your own decision.

Skylark Collaborator

Interesting Skylark! I learn something every day from here - I'm intrigued with the history of religion.

I learned about this from a friend who works at a synagogue. Every Passover the rabbi arranges to buy everyone's chametz (leavened bread from prohibited grains) and sell it to a non-Jew for the length of the holiday. I was fascinated by that one! The only way the five grains (wheat, spelt, rye, barley, oats I think?) can be consumed is as matzoh.

This is why Passover is such a bonanza for celiacs. :) Kosher for Passover food is either made with matzoh meal or is naturally gluten-free. They use potato and arrowroot starch a lot. Back when I first figured out I was celiac, one of the easiest ways to get inexpensive gluten-free mixes and treats was after-Passover sales.

squirmingitch Veteran

So you're saying that the drying of the Quinoa that's going on is BEFORE it's hulled & the saponin is rinsed off? I would not be afraid to eat it if this is the case. Now, if the grain is covered AFTER it is hulled & rinsed then I have a problem with it.

Thank you Skylark for the religious info. I too find different religious practices interesting to learn about.

FernW Rookie

Not all Matzoh is gluten free

Skylark Collaborator

Not all Matzoh is gluten free

Maybe I didn't explain that clearly. If there isn't matzoh meal in the food, it will be gluten-free. Obviously the ones with matzoh meal contain gluten. Here, try this article.

Cathey Apprentice

You shouldn't have.

Even if someone apparently traveled to Peru & reported that they saw possible ways for cc in the field, quinoa seeds have husks. The edible part doesn't touch anything but the inside of the husk.

I'm also kinda skeptical about Peruvian farmers of the "ancient grain" changing how they do it a couple yrs ago.

That's ok, Tom it was a small amount left and several months old. I usually use the Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta's so I'll just look for that brand of Quinoa which is on the safe list.

squirmingitch Veteran

I have 4 boxes of the ancient Harvest sitting here unopened & not of the lot # that is listed as safe in the articles. So I called Ancient Harvest today. When in doubt, go to the source, so I did. Okay, here's what she told me. She read the article that was by the Rabbinical council just like we did. She says Ancient Harvest is NOT affected by any overlay of Barley or Oats or any gluten grain. Their fields are at 7,000 ft. high & none of those other grains will grow that high. She has been to their fields & seen for herself what happens. She assured me that Ancient Harvest is not now nor will it be affected by such things as we read about. She stated that Ancient Harvest is well aware of their use by the celiac & gluten sensitive community & respects & appreciates their standing as a trusted company. Quinoa is the ONLY thing they produce. The Quinoa is processed by them here & not in S.A.. She said the real story is that the farmers in the low elevations (not Ancient Harvest farms) were supposedly covering the Quinoa SEEDS with Barley or Oats to keep the birds from eating the PLANTED Quinoa seeds until the seeds sprout. She stated that Ancient Harvest is presently seeking the Rabbinical council to rectify the statement to reflect the actual happenings. she further assured me that Ancient Harvest Quinoa was completely safe for me to eat & would always remain so.

I'm going to eat my 4 boxes & ENJOY!

Lisa Mentor

Thanks for taking the time to do some research and sharing. :D

I love my Ancient Harvest Quinoa. :P

squirmingitch Veteran

I love my Ancient Harvest Quinoa. :P

Me too! And now I'm sure I can eat it. Yay! Guess what's for breakfast in the morning?biggrin.gif

Skylark Collaborator

Yes, great sleuthing! I suspect the rabbis will stick to their decision but it's good to know the whole story.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Thank you for teaching me something new about Passover. I love learning new things about religions!

FernW Rookie

Thank you, thank you, thank you Skylark I have been looking for a certain pound cake and other items for passover, so it will be a little late, I have the wine and thats whats important, lol. Yes Passover does make my gluten free life a bit easier for 8 days.

Thanks again. Fern

Archived